It’s time… to… ROCK! Erich Zann is gonna shred this week as we delve into some sweet HPL.

• Also this week, we have our lovely, and lovable, Andrew Leman reading us some sweet bits.
  • Chad mentioned Astro City.

Next Week: Herbert West: Reanimator

7 Responses to Episode 23 – The Music of Erich Zann

1. Joyce Armijos says:

I’m a big fan of all of you guys!!
    I can’t wait till you talk about
    “The mountain of Madness”, you know his first and last Novella. Keep up the good work.

2. Sondermann says:

Great Show! I stumbled across your podcast listening to Yog Radio, and started at episode 1.

Rue d’Orsay is an actual street in Paris.
    Zann is pronounced with a ts sound.

3. Nilesh says:

I enjoy all you podcasts in general and I congratulate you doing a wonderful job. But I found this one kinda weak, for one reason that I had read analysis of author Timo Airaksinen on Erich Zann story in his book ‘The philosophy of H P Lovecraft’.
    You guys may wanna check it out you haven’t yet. It’s a good read.

4. Timothy Dean says:

I just realized that Chris sounds like David Schwimmer

5. Chadd says:

I think what happened to the narrator is the same thing that happened to other Lovecraft characters, and it represents an idea that Lovecraft seems to be fond of; namely, that the crazy, transdimesional places that coexist with the places we know are sometimes accessible — by accident, by metaphysical invocation, by moving along crazy angles, etc. This access is most often discovered by the Lovecraftian archetype of the sensitive student, artist, explorer, writer — the sensitive seeker, if you will. I think this is what happened to the Erich Zann narrator. Because of his sensitivity to the otherworldly, he somehow wandered through a rift or angle between dimensions and was privy to experiences and information that most of us are oblivious to. This is HPL’s primary personal conceit — that although he was poor, odd, lonely, and in many ways frustrated, he was still above the common run of people, who are not fully aware of their surroundings. In my opinion, this conceit is responsible not only for HPL’s best writing, but also his worst. It’s why some of his stories are laughably supercilious and others are so inexplicably affecting. In any case, as the sensitive seeker explores or researches his transdimensional discovery, he triggers a catastrophe (or near-catastrophe) and the rift is closed. We’re usually not told how or why it’s closed — maybe it collapsed or maybe some force intentionally closed it. Either way, the seeker is left shattered, desolate, and haunted. I think this also represents something that HPL personally felt — that it is very difficult to leverage or parley that special sensitivity into anything more than a unique inner life that is infuriatingly difficult to express or share.

6. Raúl Moreno says:

I quite agree with Chadd.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

I think Zann had come into contact with that outer being because of some past event, but I liked to interpret it as some kind of musical battle between the two, more than trying to drown the other one’s sound.
    I think the outer being wanted to take Zann with him. And if Lovecraft put there the idea that the protagonist is not capable of finding the place ever again it must be a hint that the place no longer exists in our part of the universe. It may be because the entity was so powerful it took the entire street instead of just Zann? The protagonist had time to run away; maybe if he had stayed some more he also would have suffered an ugly fate.

I believe I remember Lovecraft, as me, didn’t like that endings that left to the reader to think “it was just a dream” or “she was crazy”, etc. He didn’t enjoyed human daily dramas, etc so why to write something that is not weird?

I’ve always found it so sad for an artist to take the difficult effort to make you forget your scepticism and then tell you “no, sorry, even in this story, there’s no weird things, you are still in that boring world you live.”.

About Erich still playing while physically dead… I don’t know ^^

END OF SPOILERS

I love these podcasts, mostly because of your humour and “neutrality”; we all should laugh at some Lovecraft, as he himself was probably not proud of, as he was even too critical with his work.

BTW, although you surely have learnt all of this since these first podcasts, if someone has read that horrible false Lovecraft biography were it is told he throw little stones to windows by night or stupid things like that, know that all that book says is false. Be careful with Lovecraft’s stereotypes; he lived many years (changes) and was not a caricature but a complex person as we all are.
    The best hints are in his letters. Or the memories of his friends or biographies done by serious people as Joshi, etc. to hint the real Lovecraft, not that caricature of a recluse, anti-social, or as you said in a podcast: “he hated everybody” (false!!! we misanthropes hate humanity as an abstract thing, you just have to read history and what we have done, but we have friends and believe in people as individuals).