We’re joined by excellent reader Andrew Leman as we view The Colour Out of Space!

But this time we’re not alone – we’re joined by special guest Paul Maclean of Yog Radio!

And one last time – our NEW FEED ADDRESS is http://hppodcraft.com/index.php/feed/podcast

18 Responses to Episode 59 – The Colour Out of Space – Part 1

1. Bassik says:

That was realy cool. You guys did have a lot of problems staying on trackin the beginning, but other than that, this was everything I hoped for.

2. Andrew Leman is the man!

3. Fred Kiesche says:

Downloading now–looking forward to this one. It was, IIRC, the first story I read by Eich-Pee-El as a kid–in an anthology of classic SF stories edited by Conklin.

Welcome back! Great jobs all ’round! Of course Andrew is the best, but all concerned were in fine form and well done!

5. Mirko Stauch says:

Yeah! You are back! And I did my homework and read the story in Joshi’s Annotated Lovecraft. Btw: did you see the new edition of Joshi’s Lovecraft biography at Hippocampus Press?
    I was lucky to get one of the first copies signed by Joshi himself. It’s great. One should get it!

6. helios1014 says:

Another top shelf episode, also have you noticed the Algernon Blackwood reference in this story?

7. antoined says:

Great job on this week’s podcast! I have to say, when I read it years ago I thought this story was actually one of Lovecraft’s lamer outings – I mean come on, glow in the dark cabbages are supposed to be scary? I’m not going to call it Lovecraft’s best, but in your skillful hands, Color out of Space is much better than I remembered.

8. The Gneech says:

From my website, the Hillbillies Out of Space Filk!

(To the tune of “The Beverly Hillbillies”)…

o/`
    Lemme tellee little story ’bout a man named Nahum [1]
    he lived west o’ Arkham and never did any harm [2]
    Then one day a hill exploded in his face
    and Nahum had to cope with a colour outa space!

(An alien that is. Amorphous. Intangible.)

Well the first thing you know, ol’ Nahum’s lookin’ spare
    his kinfolk said, “Nahum, move away from there!”
    But Nahum and his folks couldn’t muster up the fight
    and the trees and hills were glowin’ in the night

(From radiation, that is. Sickly crops, mutated animals.)

Well now it’s time to say goodbye to Nahum and his kin
    not that there’s much left of ‘em except some dust and skin
    They’re dammin’ up the river and floodin’ the whole place
    so now yer drinkin’ water’s full o’ colour out of space!

(Y’all flee for your lives now, y’hear?)
    o/`

-The Gneech

[1] Pronounced “naaum”
    [2] Pronounced in a New England accent, “haam”

9. Bob says:

It lives! it lives!!!!

Mwahahahaha . . . ahem, excuse me.

What I meant to say was that it’s good to see you chaps are still going strong.

10. Ryleigh Marie says:

Glad to see you guys are back! Also: Hatebeak? A hilariously awesome addition to my iPod thanks for the recomendation!

11. Aram says:

I don’t know why exactly, but the bit about the trees swaying even though there was no wind really creeped me out.

12. Tim Scurr says:

Great to have you back, and another fantastic job fellas. And really good to hear Mr Leman reading again. Good call on ‘The Damned Thing’, I’m familiar with the story and had picked up on similarities between it and ‘The Dunwitch Horror’, with all the plants and grass being pushed aside and what have you. Am very interested to hear more about the spin of it as a retelling of Lot’s story. Job does seem more appropriate, though Job got everything back with interest, whereas poor old Gardner got a bad case of the crumbles. Book of Nahum is a prophesey about the fall of Nineveh, and has some pretty bleak gear in there. Eat your heart out Salvator Rosa!

13. Hallvard says:

Great episode. Listening to it again, eagerly awaiting the impending following installment.

I’m curious as to whether Blasted Heath will cover that old classic Lovecraftian rock tune, “Ghost Disco”. ;)

15. æøå says:

Th- thank… you. It is a pleasure, I believe.

16. Laura says:

Listening to this now – it’s my favorite Lovecraft story, and Andrew’s my favorite reader, so you guys just made my day. Fantastic job reading, and I’m really liking the commentary.

17. Rick Lucey says:

I just started visiting your site and listening to the podcasts over the past few months. This was the first Lovecraft tale I read and it was part of a collection of stories I had of his. Man it just grabbed me in how it had this mixture of creeping horror and a sense of this maybe happened somewhere in the past. You could almost say this story if written later in the century could be a commentary of an environment messed up by toxic spills, etc. Of course who is to say some meteor sometime now or even in the past has crashed on this world bringing something with it. Anyways Lovecraft is amazing with his ability to create such mood and atmosphere in many of his stories and this one just does it so well!. Also great job with the mood and atmosphere you guys create in these pod casts as they are really fun and interesting to listen to.

18. Gary says:

Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the meteor and the coloured globule in this story and the one shown on the title page of Fantastic Four #20 (Menace of the Molecule Man) from 1963? Anyone who knows how Jack Kirby and Stan Lee worked knows that the captions don’t necessary match up to the artwork so I’ve wondered for many years if Kirby was referencing Colour Out of Space on that page.