Stop eating all that Manwich, and take a bite out of Dunwich!

We’re joined by Lovecraft scholar and foxy Christian Atheist Robert M. Price! (AKA host of Point of Inquiry, AKA The Bible Geek, AKA Professor of Theology and Scriptural Studies at the Colemon Theological Seminary)

You just won’t believe the vocal stylings of one Andrew Leman! (producer of the Dark Adventure Radio Theatre’s glorious adaptation)

Next week: MORE DUNWICH HORROR!

28 Responses to Episode 65 – The Dunwich Horror – Part 1

1. Helios1014 says:

Hey guys just wanted you to know ther is an old episode of the radio show suspense that is adapted from this story staring Ronald coleman. You can find it on the web at web archive. Also, one of my favorite love craft stories.

2. Helios1014 says:

November first 1945 on this page, http://www.archive.org/details/SUSPENSE2

3. The Dunwich Whotsit says:

Excellent show, gaiz – a real sententious job!
    But I still say DUN-ITCH because I’m such a damn snob.
    Can’t wait for he CD now, I wouldn’t mind owning a copy.

I was really surprised by this story! I expected something like Innsmouth or Shunned House, not “Invisible Cloverfield!”

5. Justin says:

Great episode guys!!! Can’t wait for part two.

Just a note; In the book “The Necronomicon Files” John Wisdom Gonce III suggests that Lovecraft’s description of Yog-Sothoth as “a congeries of iridescent globes” could have been based off of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life which is itself a diagram made out of 10 or 11 spheres. I find this idea interesting considering Lovecraft’s fondness of heterodoxical imagery such as that seen in “The Dunwich Horror.”

Welcome back! Great ‘cast, great story, excellent readings AND the Great and Powerful Robert M. Price! This show is a great one, if a bit sententious!

7. Brown Jenkin says:

Great episode!

Does anybody know where I can find the Griffin Bindery handbound edition of Charles Dexter Ward? I can’t find it online, even on Joshi’s site.

8. Brown Jenkin says:

By the way, the 1970′s Dunwich Horror is on Netflix Instant Play.

9. Mike says:

Hi guys,

I’m currently listening to the podcast and as a Connecticut native, I’ve got to fill you in on the Devil’s Hopyard. While the was some cultivation of hops in the area, the park is named after the geological formations in and around the river running through the park. These potholes are perfectly round, cylindrical holes cut into the stone by glacial run-off that the puritan settlers thought were the Devil’s footprints. This isn’t as far fetched as it sounds since the next village over, Moodus, is famous for groaning and banging sounds coming from under the ground. In fact “Moodus” mean bad noises in the local Native American dialects.

10. Zach says:

Whats the deal with the music in this episode? Its really good.

11. Shawn says:

A bit off topic (or is it?) but I was just reading Huxley’s Brave New World and you wouldn’t believe how often “sententiously” is used! Makes me cringe every time. Thanks guys ….

BTW I felt that the descriptions of Whateley’s twin reminded me of a shoggoth with elephant legs … maybe a precursor to our amorphous, globular buddies?

12. Mike Davey says:

Chris,
    The 70′s film isn’t hard to get or expensive…
    You even get the dreadful version of “The Colour Out of space” with it.

13. Alan says:

Great episode chaps! We’re now heading at full speed into the Cthulhu Mythos stories, and I’ll be looking forward to each new episode even more than before.
    One thing about the young Wilbur’s odd ‘fringed belt’: I always thought the fringed belt was actually his tentacles glimpsed from afar (which we see in much greater detail following the dog attack in the library), and this was the reason he always kept himself tightly buttoned up from then on.

Cthulhu bless this podcast. So far, each episode has been a masterpiece.

15. Mirko Stauch says:

WOW! What a brillant episode. Very cool! Andrew’s voice sounds great…by great I mean greater than usual. It was nice to hear Mr. Price (got the rhyme?)..again. He is a great guy with a good sense of humor.
    But I think Chad’s voice in the intro and the outro was a litlle highpitched…how comes that? ;-)
    Was a great start!!! Keep on, the world is listening!
    Greetz
    Mirko

16. Steve says:

Intrigued by the idea of the remixes of the shows. That, plus the mention of the comparisons of Jesus and Joseph Curwen that ended up on the cutting-room floor, make me think that you should re-release all the old shows, with all the stuff you cut out put back in. I’ve been listening almost from the beginning, and that would be a great motivation to go back and listen to old shows.

17. Brown Jenkin says:

Andrew Leman really is a treasure.

18. Alison Scott says:

On a sententious note, the epigraph from Charles Lamb incorporates an allusion to Paradise Lost, that crowd-pleasing epic by John Milton, part of the description of the fallen angels’ first view of hell:
    # A universe of death, which God by curse
    # Created evil, for evil only good;
    # Where all life dies, death lives, and nature breeds,
    # Perverse, all monstrous, all prodigious things,
    # Abominable, inutterable, and worse
    # Than fables yet have feigned or fear conceived,
    # Gorgons, and Hydras, and Chimeras dire.

19. Mark Brett says:

Really great episode. I particularly loved the contributions from Robert Price. He’s got a great voice, and the implication that Wizard Whateley actually fathered the boys by proxy… brr!

One note on the Suspense! episode that adapted this story: they pronounce it “Dunnich,” which I hope makes Chris feel a little better. Love their Wilbur Whateley voice, too. SO strange!

20. Loved this adaptation, but my favorite from DART is their Drama on “The Shadow out of Time”. Just wonderful.

21. Alex M says:

Hey Chris and Chad! I’ve been listening for a few months, and I just wanted to let you guys know that your podcast is awesome. It has really helped to enrich my understanding of the stories and their author, and I have a newfound appreciation for stories like The Temple and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward which I count now as my favourites.

I recently read The Mound, and was surprised to find how good it was despite having rarely heard of it mentioned. It’s a very meaty story and very rewarding to read.

Also this week’s episode was excellent! Hope you guys invite Robert M. Price onto the show again, I greatly enjoy hearing him speak.

By the way, is the first soundtrack still available by donation?

22. Michael Bryan Walt says:

Hello Gentlemen. First time poster here, long time listener (from episode #1). Finally got up the nerve to write you guys. I’m a H.P.L. fan from waaay back; read “Rats in the Walls” (my introduction too H.P.) when I was seven years old in 1965 (I know, when Mammoths still walked the earth). Since that bygone age, I’ve read everything I could get my hands on of his writings. And anything adapted, based, or otherwise pertaining to the grand old gent. So, I just wanted to thank you for the pod cast; informative, insightful and down right hilarious all the time. This latest pod cast, my most favorite of his stories, is a gem. You two, Mr. Price and Andrew’s reading are great. Thanks, and until next time I gather the nerve to post, keep up the fine work!

23. antoined says:

Hey Guys, really loved the ‘cast! Great scholarship and insight – I can’t wait to hear the rest.

Also, yes, as was mentioned in the podcast, in Rhode Island, it is pronounced “Gren-itch”. Massachusetts though does have it’s share of place names that aren’t pronounced like they’re written – Worchester (or “Wuster”) being a prime example.

24. Tim Scurr says:

Great episode guys, keep the good stuff rolling. A friend found a reading of ‘The Dunwich Horror’ on the interwebs and downloaded it for me, read by a certain Robert M Price. So it was interesting to hear exerpts he quoted with almost identical intonation.
    Found the question regarding whether Mr Price’s field of study conflicted with his passion for Lovecraft interesting. As a Christian myself (and creationist to boot!) I personally don’t have any conflict simply because HPL is fiction/fantasy. Some of his social commentary is nothing short of abhorrent (all would agree)but the storytelling rocks. One holding an evolutionary or materialist view must compartmentalize Lovecraft’s fiction from his scientific/philosophical worldview too, I would argue, on the basis that, when he occasions to write on the issue of cosmogony, he seems to favor an ‘eternal universe’ style model (such as Cthulhu slumbering for ‘vigintillions’ of years). An eternal universe was the ruling materialist cosmogical paradigm of the time. Hubble didn’t publish his red shift findings until 1929, which helped pave the way for the ‘Big Bang’ model, which is obviously today’s ruling materialist cosmogony.
    In regards to the pronounciation of ‘Dunwich’, we have an Ipswich just outside Brisbane (QLD Australia) and is said phonetically as ‘ips-witch’ (I think an Ipswich is mentioned in ‘The Thing on the Doorstep’). Much like HPL’s Dunwich, it is also regarded as a seat of much decadence and inbreeding. Recently got reallly badly flooded though (and Brisbane) so keep them in your thoughts. Needing my next Podcraft fix!

25. Chad Fifer says:

@Zach – Thanks!
    @Shawn – I just finished “A Study in Scarlet” and sententiously was getting thrown around like crazy – made me cringe for not knowing what it meant.
    @Alan – Great call on the fringed belt.
    @Steve – Man, you really don’t want to hear the stuff we cut. We’re basically idiots.
    @Alex M. – Yep, first soundtrack is available with any donation.
    @Everybody – how annoying is my overuse of the @ sign?

26. wus says:

Hi guys,

I’ll be listening all four shows in a row when they’re all out. Btw: The direct link to the 1945 Suspense adaption is

Best wishes, Wolf

27. Monstah says:

Been listening to the podcast chronologically (well, sometimes skipping ahead to my favourites, but mostly chronologically), and now I’m deep in the good stuff!

Just wanted to say that, Chad, you REALLY should impersonate Chris a lot more often.

28. Monstah says:

Okay, so I kept on listening and… was that Chris impersonating himself??