This week, we talk with scholars Robert M. Price and Donovan K. Loucks about Innsmouth and other Lovecraftiana!

Next week, The Trap.

19 Responses to Episode 88 – Innsmouth Wrap-Up

1. some guy on the Internet says:

Great episode! Maybe the best yet; those were a fantastic couple of interviews. BUT I do have to point out one oversight: Arkham’s colour-contaminated tap water. I wouldn’t want to go to Arkham on that basis alone.

Regarding the Donovan Loucks interview, now that he’s found the Curwen house, the obvious next step is to find the underworld of unspeakable horror he keeps on the outskirts of town.

2. GoodleShoes says:

Thank guys, really great episode. I look forward to this podcast every time something comes out. Keep up the fantastic work!

3. Kyle says:

Hey, according to hplovecraft.com, it’s Howie’s birthday! Happy 121st, Gramps!

4. Lance Miller says:

Karel ?apek introduced the word “Robot” in his 1921 novel R.U.R.

5. tom morganti says:

DL, I am looking forward to that book! Excellent series on Innsmouth, C & C.

6. JB Lee says:

Guys! The most dangerous place of all is ARKHAM, because if you drink the water there, you’ve had it!

7. Grandpa Theobald says:

I gotta go with JB. With Arkham there was Whilbur’s death, Asenath’s Zombi possesion sort of thing, The Witch-House with it’s bizarre angles that blur the dimensions together, the Island with the ancient ruins where Nyarlathotep sometimes holds Court, the abandoned Graveyard catacombs where Herbert West’s experiments STILL thrive in the Darkness, the valley with the White Stone around which Witches hold sacrafice each year, various Ghouls and what-have-you, and THEN the water is poisoned with Colour. Drink it, and you are FINISHED. With Innsmouth you’re okay so long as you don’t go prying about their past, and even then you can survive by converting. I mean, you’d have to f**k a Fish-Frog, but hell! It might actually be FUN for all you know!! Then with Dunwich: Pretty much the only bad stuff was that one extension of the Whately line, but ‘Ol Wizard Whately and the Twins are long gone. All there are are the Standing-Stones, and they dynamited those! The of course, Kingsport is safe so long as you:
    1. Don’t piss off the Terrible Old Man.
    2. Stay away from the Strange High House in the Mist.
    And 3. Don’t go near there around Yule.
    Really, the only place that even comes CLOSE to the level of danger Arkham has are the wild hills of Vermont, and that’s only if you f**k with the Mi-Go. ^_^

8. Fascinating show. Loved it! Really enjoyed hearing of the background and thoughts of scholars. Thanks so much.

9. Martin A says:

Price is right in that Yoharneth-Lahai is a name from Dunsany, but it is not a place, it is a god (The God of Little Dreams and Fancies).

10. James Kirk says:

I don’t know about anyone else but I would love to visit Arkham, Innsmouth, etc if they existed. Sure you would have to be a bit careful but how could you say no to their combination of New England’s picturesque charm and the possibility of mind blasting revelations man was not meant to know?

11. jasons says:

On my last re-reading of Shadow over Innsmouth I was struck by another possible interpretation of the protagonist’s acceptance of his watery fate: the sometimes-horrific ability of human beings to adapt to anything. Pop culture thrives on portraying nazis as “inhuman” as opposed to perfectly normal people swept up in a terrible cultural phemomena. The very word inhuman (almost always used to describe common, if undesirable, human behaviors) seems like an embodiment of denial as to our true (frequently horrifying) natures.

12. The Dunwich Whotsit says:

I’d visit Arkham maybe for a short holiday, but only buy bottled water. There’s a few nasty things around there, but still, it’d be nice, I’d imagine.
    Innsmouth I’d only pass through during the day. They don’t like outsiders at all and there’s friggin’ Shoggoths in the boarded up houses!
    Kingsport would be nice, I think. I’d love to have a snapshot of the Strange High House in the Mist, but I wouldn’t spend Christmas there.
    Funnily enough, I think Dunwich is the safest – all the nasty stuff is long gone. The Twins, Old Wizard and Lavinia are long dead and the standing stones demonlished. Hell, it can’t be too different from the numerous isolated villages in the West of Ireland.

On a further note, I got my mother to read Shadow Over Innsmouth. She liked it, but said every time HPL had written ‘shew’, it reminded her of Ed Sullivan.

13. Thirteen! I could listen to Bob Price and Don Loucks all day. Lovely show!!

14. sgdurango says:

An awesome take on this story is in a song by The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. Such great lyrics:

The Innsmouth Look

I met her at the EOD
    She sank her dew claws into me

We stepped out to watch the tide come in
    She said a little swim would do some wonders for your skin
    I shed my old self, slipped into the sea

One glance was all it took
    She gave me the Innsmouth look

I dig her batrachian lips
    Her bulbous eyes and scaly hips

She’s got secrets but they’ll soon be mine
    Oh, Father Dagon smiles upon me from the bas-relief
    And something’s fishy down at Devil Reef!

Obed was a sailor
    He sailed the 7 seas
    He made love to the fish
    He made love to the fish

15. JimO says:

War of the Newts is a fantastic book with some great satire throughout. reminds me of the Deep Ones too.

16. dedguy says:

Just in time for the end of the presentation of Innsmouth on the Podcraft, this week’s Haven on SyFy was an Innsmouth-esque story. Albiet a much more accepting version of the story without the monstrous transformations (sadly). One should never pass up the chance to have fishmen on screen.

17. It’s a little early for this, but just in case there’s anyone who hasn’t seen it, YouTube has a musical version of this story in under 2 minutes:

My apologies if this has been posted before.

18. Cuchulain says:

Hey, all. I was trying to find the article/book/whatever referred to in this podcast. Does anyone know what it’s called, where it’s published or some other info?

19. ArcaneGeek says:

Sighted: Ben 10 Ultimate Alien episode 43 has a Scientology-like religious order that calls its inner circle the Esoterica. They secretly revere ancient alien Dagon. Unfortunately no half-fishmen were found in the episode.