Join us for the shocking conclusion of Dreams in the Witch House!

Thanks again to guest Kenneth Hite and reader Dave Stinton.

Next week: The Man of Stone!

25 Responses to Episode 92 – The Dreams in the Witch House – Part 3

1. Chris Durrill says:

I’d always interpreted that the kick Gilman gives Brown Jenkin during the final encounter with the witch which sent the disgusting little thing down between the walls with blunt trauma injuries PLUS injuries sustained from hitting the bottom of the space between the walls – you do get a whimper – if you’ve ever been around an old house, open spaces between walls aren’t uncommon and that could be a ten foot drop or more. From there, the creature possibly crawled out, and dying got into Gilman’s room (easy, chew out where he landed right into the room of his victim, did his cardio tunnel job, and then dragged himself off to die in the witchhouse attic. There you’d get broken bones, further splintered by the storm damage that came later.
    Just a thought!
    Anyway, will you be doing critiques of August Derleth and related writer’s takes on the Mythos once you run out of Lovecraft material?
    Chris

I’d always assumed Brown Jenkin’s demise was due to the death of Keziah Mason. He fed on her blood, right? So I figure no witch, no witch-blood. He got his revenge on Gilman, and then starved for lack of supernatural sustenance.

3. Grandpa Theobald says:

Wonderful! But, Two things: The first is that You fellows didn’t mention how the Court of Azathoth was suggested to be somewhere in the Void by there being a singular cacophany emanating from a specific point where anything material takes on a misty, insubstantial aspect.

The second thing is that when Workmen finally did enter the fallen Witch-House, they found a massive amount of bones belonging to children and infants in varying degrees of disintigration that appeared to have been laying somewhere in the portion of the house which was larger than it should have been. (I believe it was suggesting that the triangular aperture led down to a pit where Keziah threw the remains of Her sacrifices, although I am not sure because I thought the aperture was the triangular hole in the corner of the ceiling of Gilman’s room.)

And now that I think about it, there was one other thing not mentioned. As He made the Jump, He heard Mazurawitz praying loud enough to make out the words “Ia, Shub-Niggurath!”

4. steven lackey says:

Hi!

I had to play ketch up and heard all three parts in one setting.

What fun!

Keep up the good work!

5. Gregg says:

I really liked that you guys described Gillman as an action hero relative to most of Lovecraft’s protagonists because he successfully fought off an old woman and a rat.

I agreed with the posibility of the geometric angles of the cross really drove away the witch and not «the blood of Jesus»… Jesus!
    Maybe Brown Jenkin commited suicide. I wonden if Pythagoras was a kind of incarnation of Nyarthotep, for his mathematics magic keeps on working!

7. Sean Liddle says:

I think the attic is a TARDIS and the witch an evil renegade timelord. just saying

8. Grandpa Theobald says:

@Sean Liddle~

I….I love You.

9. Aram says:

When I was young I was fascinated with the idea of bringing objects “back” from my dreams into reality. This story was the first time I had seen anyone else explore that concept and it blew my mind.

Still one of my favorite Lovecraft tales.

I also want to point out that my opinion of the story basically followed the exact same trajectory as Chris and Chad’s. Maybe we should get S.T. Joshi to re-read it just one more time…

11. Mindless-Focus says:

Damn, there were TWO Elder Thing action figures in this story and i cant even find one. Great Job on this one, btw. so after Haunter, what will yall do next? anything? i’ll miss this.

12. Nick Curnow says:

Good job guys! Great to finally see this great story done a little justice for once!

13. Just listened to this, and, um, actually, guys. You do name the episode. You just name it as “Rats in the Walls”. (Say it right at the beginning…)

14. Chad Fifer says:

We have corrected the story title in the recording. We were aware of the mistake when we posted the episode, but couldn’t change it at the time as I was out of town and Chris is without internet for the week while moving. We figured that folks would rather have the episode with the mistake than have a delay. But all is fixed now – no need to keep letting us know:)

I have to admit, I’m a little disappointed that the correction wasn’t just Chad’s voice crappily dubbed over Chris’s.

“Today we continue with our coverage of-”
    *record scratch noise*
    “THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE.”

I read the Hounds of Tindalos, and it wasn’t very good. It reads like a beginner trying to write like HPL. Which it WAS, I guess. I didn’t see the connection to the christian cross you were discussing. What did I miss?

Also, I’m really looking forward to the Stone Man! I loved that one!

Keith: There isn’t any reference to the cross in “Hounds.” The story you’re looking for is “The Space-Eaters.”

It’s been a while since I read it, but I think it had something to do with cutting down on heating costs in winter by forgoing central heat in favor of heating a small, enclosed space.

Unless I’m thinking of “The Space Heaters.”

18. Cambias says:

After re-reading “The Dunwich Horror” and listening to this one, I am struck by how _fragile_ some of Lovecraft’s supernatural menaces are. Wilbur Whately, 9-foot reptilian monstrosity, is done in by a dog. Keziah Mason, seemingly immortal interdimensional witch, is strangled by a grad student. The Mi-Go are also kept at bay by some dogs in “Whisperer in Darkness.” At times one must wonder: why are humans in danger from these things?

(There’s a Mythos story for someone to write: the Stars Come Right, the Old Ones return, and are swiftly bludgeoned to death by civilians with golf clubs and gardening tools.)

19. Rivkah says:

I always thought that Kezia’s and Brown Jenkin’s bones in the house were the things that were causing the house to be cursed, but I never took it as an indication that he ever died in any total or permanent sense.

Great podcast. I’ve been lurking it for a long time but never knew where to comment. I’m really happy for you guys and about what a success this project has become lately. :)

20. Rivkah says:

One thing I’d like to also comment on is that I think a lot of people in Lovecraft’s time were quite afraid of the implications that new discoveries in physics presented.

Einstein’s discoveries about space, time, length, mass, and so many other things that have always been considered “absolute” being relative (to various reference frames) was shocking, and the utter strangeness of quantum mechanics — viewed as chaotic, random, UNKNOWABLE, even ominously indifferent — just plain freaked a lot of people out even more. It still kind of does, really. I can totally see why Lovecraft would have seen the new discoveries in physics as a horror gold mine.

As somebody who studied a lot of math and physics in college, I really loved this story and found the ideas very novel. It also legitimately frightened me and made me lose sleep for fear that I would dream of being crept up on and nuzzled. ^__^

21. @Cambias I think it may be because the fear is the main threat. Fear can be dispelled by something as weak as a laugh – unless of course all of those barbed tentacles cause one to forget to laugh at the appropriate moment….:-)

22. Michael says:

I love this story. I’d rank it right up there with “At the Mountains of Madness”.

The only thing which bugged me though was the revelation of Jenkin’s bones. I’d much rather the story end on Jenkin skittering off amongst the rubble. Such a cool and creepy character.

The insights by your special guest Kenneth Hite were thought-provoking.

23. BreeLandwalker says:

I have a sudden and irrepressible mental image of Brown Jenkins as a baby xenomorph with the part of poor Gilman being played by a young John Hurt…Aliens or Spaceballs version, take your pick. (Check please!)