Let Lovecraft and Hazel Heald be the wind beneath your wings… it’s Winged Death!

Extra special thanks to this week’s reader, author J.P. Moore. You can learn all about his novels, Toothless and The Old God, at his site: jpmooreonline.com!

Next time, it’s Out of the Aeons!

20 Responses to Episode 96 – Winged Death

1. Kim says:

A very enjoyable episode! As regards the chlorine gas and ammonia bit, in WW1 when soldiers were first exposed to chlorine, they figured out that cotton pads soaked in urine worked better for filtering than those soaked in water. Theory went that the ammonia in urine breaks down the gas. Modern tests show that combining ammonia/urine and chlorine can actually produce some toxic byproducts, but perhaps not as immediately dangerous as breathing the chlorine. But for Lovecraft’s time, it was still perfectly sound scientific knowledge. This fact brought to you by someone who knows an unseemly amount about World War I for a modern American girl. ;)

Good luck on the baby, Mr. Lackey!

2. Grandpa Theobald says:

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!! Three of My fave Collaberations IN A ROW!!
    First Through the Gates, now Winged Death, and next Aeons!! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!!

3. Leo says:

Curiously enough, the linked-to text for Winged Death says HPL and Hazel Heald.

I’m going to enjoy this nonetheless: )

4. Hey guys Winged Death is with Hazel Heald not Price. Easy mistake.

5. The Dunwich Whotsit says:

New podcast?

AAAAAWWWWW YYYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAHHH!!!

6. hppodcraft says:

Whoops! I accidentally wrote E. Hoffman Price rather than Hazel Heald. Corrected!

Fun story and fun episode!

8. Chris Hutson says:

Maybe Lovecraft/Heald and the other author who submitted a story about a writing bug had both been reading Archy and Mehitabel, which, though it had been appearing as a sporadic column since 1916, was first collected and published in book form in 1927, not too long before this.

9. Chris Hutson says:

As an addendum, I would have said that on the forums except that it has repeatedly refused to let me register – each time I try, everything appears OK, until it gets to the point where I am supposed to have been sent an email with a confirmation code. This email never shows up, even when I use the thing to resend it to a different email address. Yes, I have checked the spam folder. Does anyone know anything about this?

10. Cambias says:

To expand on Kim’s remarks: during some of the early chlorine gas attacks by the Germans in WWI, a French commander hit upon the idea of urine-soaked pads to counteract the poison. Now imagine what an amazingly charismatic leader he must have been: “Ignore the clouds of poison blowing towards us, men! I want you all to pee on your handkerchiefs now, and then put them over your faces!”

11. dave swan says:

Did I hear the sneeze of a baby or am I going mad, youre sound effects are getting weirder.

12. Ariel Segal says:

Great episode this week. BTW the 1st Lovecraft book I bought was the Horror in the Museum and other Revisions, & Winged Death was 1 of the 1st stories in it. An intro to Lovecraft, so to speak (though I have a distinct recollection of reading “The Outsider” in an anthology when I was a kid-was unlike anything else I had ever read.)

I bought the book in an eclectic bookshop in an obscure corner of …Jerusalem. Did not see Necronomicon there. :)

“Sefer V’sefel’s multiple levels overflow with new and secondhand books, chiefly in English, ranging from Judaica to trashy sci-fi to everything in between. The outdoor racks are filled with dirt-cheap books and magazines for the book fanatic on a budget.”
    Your podcast is one of the highlights of my week. Good luck w/ baby.
    Sincerely, Ariel Segal

13. engineer27 says:

This is worth listening to, if only for its mention of “Cowthulu”.

Chris – clearly, Fraggles = Ghouls; Doozers would be Zoogs, and Gorgs? GUGS. It all makes sense now!

15. Mindless-Focus says:

Yeah, so I too heard a baby sneeze (i guess parent’s ears are keen to these things) during the podcast. i too am curious about this.

16. hppodcraft says:

Just as sound effect to cut out Fifer’s swearing. No baby yet.

17. David Clark says:

I, like Chris above, have been unable to register on the forum. I simply took it personally and felt that I had been black-balled. Somewhat along the lines of “I refuse to be a member of any club that would allow me as a member.”

What recourse have I? Strychnine?

18. Tiago Braga says:

Winged Death is one of my favorites of Lovecraft’s. Another one, (that is also a revision/colaboration) is In the Walls of Eryx, which I believe is the only real sci-fi story ever written by Lovecraft.

About the “ceiling out of the reach of human hands”, I think is just literary effect, just a fancy, dramatic way of saying that the ceiling was too high (like a vaulted ceiling). This saves a lot of unnecessary explanation, so the reader can make it out by him/herself.

And very nice podcast, guys! It’s the only kind of review that I’ve found online about this short story. The next one, is the one I’m writing! :)

Cheers!

19. BreeLandwalker says:

All I can think of when I hear this maniacal revenge plan is Yzma…

“Oh I know…I’ll engineer a fly. A harmless little fly. Then I’ll put that fly in a box. Then I’ll put that box inside of another box, and then I’ll mail that box to Henry Moore. And when it arrives *AHAHAHA!* HE’LL DIE OF ZOMBIE SICKNESS! It’s brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius, I say! Or, to save money on postage, I could just poison him with this tainted crocodile meat…”