H.R. Barlow and Lovecraft have some fun together. And we have some fun together with their stories, The Hoard of the Wizard-Beast and The Slaying of the Monster.

Thanks to our extraordinary reader, Marty Jopson!

Check out Lovecraft Anthology Vol 1 and Lovecraft Anthology Vol 2 We promise you’ll love them. YOU WILL!

Don’t forget to donate for the ransom to release The Hound and The Temple. It’s gonna be good!

And just for kicks take a look at some Man-O-War.

Next week: The Book and The Tree on the Hill.

26 Responses to Episode 102 – The Hoard of the Wizard-Beast & The Slaying of the Monster

The Manowar reference at the beginning alone is enough to make this a great episode.

2. clancy david cha\\\'a says:

Hi guys my name is Clancy Kilpatrick and , I just wanted to tell y’all that I really enjoy the show ever since I first started listening to it, thank you so much . I first became interested in Lovecraft in 2010 and ever since I have become a huge fan of his stories, and you guys have really helped in bringing Lovecraft’s stories to people in a humorous and intellectually stimulating way since 2011 I when I first started listening to y’all’s podcast I have become familiar with other weird fiction authors particularity Arthur Machen and Robert E Howard, The Black Stone, The Great God Pan , The Novel Of The Black Seal, The White People , and The White Powder, yes I ‘am a huge Machen fan obviously. I also have a even greater appreciation for archaeology ,history, and different cultures, I had already liked all those things long before I knew about Lovecraft but now I have a better appreciation for all of the above. And y’all’s podcast has helped every step of the way. On y’all’s 102th episode I just wanted to tell y’all how much I appreciate what y’all have all done, to the READERS, GUEST, AND HOST THANK YOU ALL FOR THE PAST 102 GREAT PODCASTS , THANK YOU! I’AM LOOKING FORWARD TO FUTURE EPISODES. EVEN THOUGH I’VE NEVER MET Y’ALL I FEEL I KNOW Y’ALL THROUGH THE PODCAST, THANK YOU ALL! P.S. WILL Y’ALL BE DOING A EPISODE ABOUT THE SHADOW OF TIME, I HOPE SO PLEASE RESPOND.

3. Clint says:

Maybe I’m just taking you wrong, but at the end, you speak as if you’ve just got a couple more episodes to do. What about “The Shadow out of Time”? That’s at least a three or four parter, right?

Wow, only a few more stories to go:

1933: The Book
    1934: The Tree on the Hill (with Duane W. Rimel)
    1934: The Battle that Ended the Century (with R. H. Barlow)
    1934: The Shadow Out of Time
    1935: “Till A’ the Seas” (with R.H. Barlow)
    1935: Collapsing Cosmoses (with R.H. Barlow)
    1935: The Challenge from Beyond (with C. L. Moore; A. Merritt; Robert E. Howard, and Frank Belknap Long)
    1935: The Disinterment (with Duane W. Rimel)
    1935: The Diary of Alonzo Typer (with William Lumley)
    1935: The Haunter of the Dark
    1936: In the Walls of Eryx (with Kenneth Sterling)
    1936: The Night Ocean (with R.H. Barlow)

5. Chris Lackey says:

Oh yes. We have a few more to go. But still we’re only looking at a few months really.

6. I tell you what! I enjoyed the hell out of these two stories! Fun stuff!

I see ‘Walls of Eryx’ on the list up there, which is one of my favorites. I like it so much, I want to volunteer to read it!

7. Charles Baran says:

I just want to point out a bit of lovecraft-related news. A team of Russian Scientists have been eaten by Shoggoths.

What, no translation of Oorn’s command to Yalden? I was wondering if you were going to play it backwards :)

9. Nick Curnow says:

Maybe you guys could do readings of all the stories afterwards! That’d be pretty cool.

10. T. Kelly Lee says:

A suggestion: when you’re done with the HPL material, how about reviewing the stories he covered in The Supernatural Horror in Literature. Everything in there is Lovecraftian (they’re his influences, of course). The Willows, alone, would be an amazing episode!

Ummm…! Then, Lovecraft had his honey moon after ten years waiting for it… good for him.

The Slaying of the Monster was a very clever, symbolic story of the kind I myself like to write. A flash fiction that the reader has to finish in his imagination base on the hint at the end. A whole universe within a few paragraphs.

And thanks for recognise the flaw in your past remark about Lovecraft’s commentary on the issue of the traditional Middle East treatment of women. Sometimes we use to take his racism in a personal level as if he was the one who invented something that is so integrated in the human biology and consciousness that would be necessary to wipe out its whole history to eliminate it.

12. Sean Liddle says:

Interesting (?) stories. Sound like they were written by one of the kids I used to play D&D with in the 80s.. or me in the 80s..

Aside: The Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast last weekend was about Oscar the Humanzee and the potential for crossbreeding humans with apes and other such fun endevous frowned upon by people who have never played D&D (Yaay Chimeras!) There is a mention of Lovecraft and “Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family”.

I’m actually afraid to read “The Night Ocean” because I’d hate to find out that the last thing HPL ever wrote sucked.

14. Cambias says:

Both of these stories are very reminiscent of Jack Vance’s “Dying Earth” stories from several decades later. The same mix of highfalutin’ fantasy and deadpan cynicism.

15. Joel says:

Incidentally, the manga Shakespeare adaptations that the company doing the Lovecraft Anthologies are also excellent, a couple of the teachers in my school’s special ed department use them.

16. The Dunwich Whotsit says:

I demand Chad make a power metal album RIGHT NOW.

Great episode, guys! I can’t wait to see what you have planned post-HPL, but at the same time, I don’t the podcast to end.

17. Michael says:

I loved Chad’s fantasy metal bits in this. Hilarious.

18. wus says:

Those must be the worst “Lovecraft” stories. Luckily we’re still in for at least two great stories (Shadow out of time and Haunter of the dark).

19. Andy says:

The Wikipedia entry on R H Barlow says that Lovecraft molested him:

“Lovecraft made several extended visits to the young Barlow at his home in De Land, Florida where he is believed to have been molested by Lovecraft, which would later manifest itself in Barlow’s homosexuality.”

Is there any proof of this? There’s no source given, I would just think you’d need one for such a strong accusation.

20. The Dunwich Whotsit says:

@Andy

lol wikipedia

Seriously, I doubt that ever happened. He may believed to have (by a few die-hard Lovecraft haters and misinformed Wikipedia editors), but until they present hard evidence, I’m not buying it.

21. Chris Lackey says:

Lovecraft molesting anyone is purely fiction. In evidence, you can read about it in my new short story, “Learning the Craft of Love: A Time Travel Phantasy.”

Seriously, pure fiction. Not documented anywhere.

That wikipedia article is almost certainly bogus. There is no source cited and I have never read of this in any other place. What I can’t understand is why do such a hatchet job on Lovecraft? I could not find the link to dispute the article. The author is a coward hiding behind speculation and innuendo. What a jerk.

23. Katie says:

chad’s metal voice sounds EXACTLY like miss piggy.

24. T. Kelly Lee says:

That reference to molestation has now been removed. I think I’ve read everything on HPL ever written and that was the only place I’ve ever seen that mentioned.

25. Marco says:

Hi,

Love the work you do on HPL and love the show.

What I miss in the comments on this show is that nobody mentions Lord Dunsany’s: Hoard of the Gibbelings (1912) in comparison to Hoard of the wizard-beast.

- It has Hoard in the title
    - It has a huge treasure as a reward
    - It has a quest style narrative
    - It has nonsense creatures: Gibbelings vs Oorn
    - The hero dies ironically

This is a very cheap rip off

26. I interpreted the moral of The Slaying of the Monster as a warning to those who use superstition as a guiding principle and also about the bad characteristics of humanity such as ignorance, pride, and corruption. The people assumed the cause of their problems was a dragon which ended up being nothing more than a volcano. The men in their ignorance and drunken with pride decided to just lie about the cause instead of investigating it further. Their failure to act and assumption that the threat is no more ends up being their downfall as they are not prepared for another eruption which finally causes the worst devastation and destroys their city.