Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Elder Sign
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 11:29:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Sign  (Read 126598 times)
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

A challenger appears.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »

That is the YELLOW SIGN, OldBook. Stop trying to impose your cultist ways on us Cthulhu-fearing faithful.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »

But it's an ELDER yellow sign, Bob! I mean, look at those jpeg colours. It's at least 10 years old. Plus, it looks like there's a mangrove swamp in the background. I don't need to explain what mangrove means to you, fellow gay clubbing underground fellow. Smiley Oh, regards to wifey.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
MartinRonnlund
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »

What, no swastika?
My rabbi would look at me funny : (

“Cold! One of my many weaknesses!”
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »

So could 'throwing the horns' the traditional sign to ward off the 'evil eye' be considered a type of Elder Sign?

Dio making sure the Old Ones are kept at bay at one of his concerts!

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:44:52 AM »

Maybe "elder sign" is to be understood as "oldskool" sign, i.e., a Masonic hand-sign, as opposed to those now cast by more contemporary street gangs?

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »

I don't need to explain what mangrove means to you, fellow gay clubbing underground fellow. Smiley

Wait a minute. Now I'm gay AND married? Well hell, I guess I'm more like HPL than I thought. Undecided

Bob

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »

You Mandrake you. jk. I don't know where any of this is coming from. I'm probably hiding from my own sexuality or something.

osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »

There is also Elder Sign - Wikipedia It seems to corroborate what we have determined already on his thread.

I like signing my digital signature for my work scanner with the Elder Sign that Lovecraft drew. Wonder if anyone who sees it gets it. Smiley

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »

All in all, I think Lovecraft's version of the Elder Sign is a bit more historically derived. I looks a great deal like Ogam (I think I am spelling that right) markings, and if I remember correctly, Ogam is some of the oldest writing in the world. So I can definitely see the connection between the two. I agree that the star version looks a bit more magical, but the twig version is, to my mind, much more appropriate considering Lovecraft's fascination with ancient things.

As for your sexuality, OldBook, well I'm afraid I can't help you much there. Although i do know some people who practice strange rites, and nuzzle abhorrently in dark places. So let me know if you want their phone numbers. Wink

Bob

JulieH
Mind-Blasted

Resident Diva, 19 Nocturne Boulevard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »

.... Although i do know some people who practice strange rites, and nuzzle abhorrently in dark places. So let me know if you want their phone numbers. Wink

Bob
Furries?

--Julie Hoverson
19 Nocturne Boulevard
(www.19nocturneboulevard.com)
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »

yif in the dark abyss, brown jenkins!

I'm pretty much convinced I'm a hetero after all these years, but I sure liked the "gay slang" slant on some of Lovecraft's literary devices.

I prefer the twig, for the record. Some joker ought to inject it as a "green" symbol in whatever country hasn't yet fully decided upon one. Hmm. Come to think of it, the American recycling symbol is sort of an ourobos or Abraxas or trinacria symbol, if you look at it that way. And the various green movements do include people echoing Wilbur Whately's line about "when the Earth is cleared of people"... That's kind of creepy. Is Greenpeace the avatar of Yog Sothoth?

osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »

yif in the dark abyss, brown jenkins!

I'm pretty much convinced I'm a hetero after all these years, but I sure liked the "gay slang" slant on some of Lovecraft's literary devices.

I prefer the twig, for the record. Some joker ought to inject it as a "green" symbol in whatever country hasn't yet fully decided upon one. Hmm. Come to think of it, the American recycling symbol is sort of an ourobos or Abraxas or trinacria symbol, if you look at it that way. And the various green movements do include people echoing Wilbur Whately's line about "when the Earth is cleared of people"... That's kind of creepy. Is Greenpeace the avatar of Yog Sothoth?

No, but they do remind one of the followers of Cthulhu with their boats and aggressive tactics. Maybe they are supporters of both?

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
JulieH
Mind-Blasted

Resident Diva, 19 Nocturne Boulevard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 01:34:26 AM »

Ooh - a modern version of Dagon with the greenpeace boat....  I like it.

--Julie Hoverson
19 Nocturne Boulevard
(www.19nocturneboulevard.com)
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »

Well, there goes Julie-Dime-Bag, getting ideas for new episodes. Personally, I think this one would be AWESOME! Especially if it is told as two separate stories. One from the point of view of the History Chanel camera crew recording it, and one from the point of view of the crew on the boats.

Bob

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: