Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Elder Sign
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 10:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Sign  (Read 126591 times)
JulieH
Mind-Blasted

Resident Diva, 19 Nocturne Boulevard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »

"Deadliest Catch - R'lyeh!"

--Julie Hoverson
19 Nocturne Boulevard
(www.19nocturneboulevard.com)
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »

The Rainbow Warrior, French hydrogen bomb testing in the South Pacific, yes, this has real possibilities for cosmic weirdness... What's the name of that Greenpeace vessel in Antarctica they show on cable as a regular program? Oh, and the reversed polarity or hole in the Earth's magnetic field appearing in the South Atlantic. It just got real.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »

The Rainbow Warrior, French hydrogen bomb testing in the South Pacific, yes, this has real possibilities for cosmic weirdness... What's the name of that Greenpeace vessel in Antarctica they show on cable as a regular program? Oh, and the reversed polarity or hole in the Earth's magnetic field appearing in the South Atlantic. It just got real.

the Whale Wars ships are called:

MV Bob Barker
MY Steve Irwin
MV Ady Gil (rammed and sunk by whalers in Season 3)
MV Gojira (recently renamed MV Brigitte Bardot)

I once thought that it would be very cool to volenteer with the Sea Shepherds and read 'at the mountains of madness' while fighting Japanese whalers in the Antarctic.

If the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's goal is to protect all Oceanatic animal life, does that include Deep Ones?  Considering the amount of pollution currently ruining the worlds oceans, I wonder how that effects the denizens of Y'ha-nthlei or the what ever lies on the other side of the mountains?  That could be a very interesting CoC RPG story nugget: your characters are a group of environmentalists who stumble over the effects of an oil spill on shoggoths, creating super-shoggoths...
or something.... 

A Prairie Horror Companion: http://prairiehorror.blogspot.com/
Winnipeg Wobbly Blog: http://winnipegwobbly.blogspot.com/
...And Live in Harmony with the Earth Blog: http://ecowobbly.blogspot.com/
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »

I was kinda thinking of the reverse: the lower level minions of Greenpeace don't know what the inner circle does: they're protecting R'lyeh. Meanwhile, under cover of "atomic bomb tests" the Allies/United Nations of WWII are trying to bomb R'lyeh like it was some Devil Reef off Innsmouth, but using much larger calibre atomic depth charges. Both sides are presenting cover stories, one about saving sea life, the other about missile parity or whatever. I guess one side could be the Aquarians and include the Octopus, the transnational organization devoted to both protecting and rousing Cthulhu, and the other side whatever Danny Casolaro or Reconiscuto called the opposite of the Aquarians in their UFO wars. The disturbed psychic fabric of 1925 in CoC can be replaced with Occupy Wall Street, Operation Mermaid Dawn, millenialist charismatic Christians instead of theosophists/theosophers, any number of things. Angell's notes have to be Casolaro's, but I'm not really sure about Wilcox's counterpart yet.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
yumegari
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 06:02:40 AM »

I'm a bit late to this thread but I just had to say:

Transcona:  That renamed ship is the next one to sink, mark my words.

old book:  He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named appreciates your efforts in Yellow Sign evangelism.

squiggle, line, circle, line, squiggle, squiggle, circle, line.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »

old book:  He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named appreciates your efforts in Yellow Sign evangelism.

Smiley

(actually I LOL'd.)

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »

Wait a minute, Lord Voldermort is the King in Yellow? Shocked Holy shit! I need to go back and reread the Harry Potter books...

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
yumegari
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »

XD

Yes.  Yes, he is.

TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 02:08:25 AM »

Yeah, those fancy-ass fibreglass trimaran arn't ment for the rough-and-tumble needed when doing acts of eco-sabotage.

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »

Nautical negroes and men in black, who knew?

Why doesn't Greenpeace just go full-hog and get themselves a submarine? Up periscope! Release all stink-bomb torpedos! White-noise countermeasures! Sound the whale alarm!

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 10:08:23 AM »

Why doesn't Greenpeace just go full-hog and get themselves a submarine?

Who says they haven't yet? Sooner or later, the whale guys will become full-blown ecoterrorists, and when that happens, I will gladly watch the shows dedicate to how they got taken down.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »

Why doesn't Greenpeace just go full-hog and get themselves a submarine? Up periscope! Release all stink-bomb torpedos! White-noise countermeasures! Sound the whale alarm!

Actually, the Sea Shepherd organization (not Greenpeace, who are often described as the "avon ladies of the ecological movement") DID have a submarine at one point. SEE: http://www.ecorazzi.com/2010/03/10/sea-shepherd-submarine-looking-back-at-unique-weapon-against-whaling/

"The intent was to disguise the sub as a full-grown orca whale in an attempt to scare gray whales away from tribes hunting them in Neah Bay, Washington. San Francisco artist George Sumner was commissioned for the artwork. Captain Watson also considered adding hydrophonic speakers that could blast orca sounds as far as two miles away. Sounds of gray whales being attacked by orcas were also considered.

It was also about this time that the Canadian Navy caught wind of the sub purchase and made it known publicly that “no one at Sea Shepherd knew anything about operating a submarine and it was ridiculous for Sea Shepherd to acquire one.”..... Oddly, the Sea Shepherd never did use the Mirage. It would journey with them on their flagship Whales Forever tightly secured in an on-deck cradle, but never saw action. Whether the risk of taking it out was just too great — or the operation too complex, is not known. It did bring some good press for the organization — which as we know they are masters of — but eventually was sold off in 1999. "  

------
'eco-terrorist' is the new 'communist' for fear mongering.  Did you know that some states have passed 'eco-terrorism' laws which make it illegal to simply document the mistreatment of animals?  It's gone far beyond criminalizing ELF political arson, but into criminalizing speech and press.

To bring it back around to the subject of the forum, if Lovecraft was writing today, the houses of The Street would contain "the leaders of a vast band of eco-terrorists" ready to destroy the good Ango-Saxon American traditions of exploitation of the planet for profit

of course, I have theorized that Lovecraft's work does have an ecological bent to it: the nostalgia for a pre-industrial society where people lived in greater harmoney with the earth, while teconology and science is often viewed in a negitive light (such as Tillinghast's machine opening up horrible vistas).  I envision the Shoggoth as the result of industrialism, almost living manifestation of industrial waste byprduct created by the decaying Elder things civilization.  

yumegari
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »

Yeah, those fancy-ass fibreglass trimaran arn't ment for the rough-and-tumble needed when doing acts of eco-sabotage.

There is that, but what I'd meant was that it's a commonly held nautical belief that a renamed ship is cursed and will sink itself at the first opportunity.  Uuuunnnnless you already knew that, in which case, shut up, yumegari.  :p

TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »

There is that, but what I'd meant was that it's a commonly held nautical belief that a renamed ship is cursed and will sink itself at the first opportunity.  Uuuunnnnless you already knew that, in which case, shut up, yumegari.  :p

I did not know that, thanks for the info!  I guess a curse is scarrier then Godzilla's layers...

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »

Yeah, renaming a vessel is unlucky. Worse than having females aboard Smiley

Say, that's pretty wild about Sea Shep having a sub. I remember the Neah Bay tribes renewing whaling way back when. Was it both the Quilleyute and the Makah? I forget now. I did hear from someone no one had any idea any more how to cook whale, and were asking friends to track down some Japanese cook books for them.

Hey, that also reminds me of a conversation I had with a Sea Shep veteran once. It was all Zadok Allen-like, but what I remember was he and perhaps some others in or around the group were thinking about targeting Chukchi mink farms in Siberia, blowing them up or something, maybe sneaking in in the night and letting all the mink loose. Some Soviet bureacrat had the great idea of rerouting Siberian native whale hunts to mink farming, but to feed the mink they used whale meat, presumably now caught by Soviet trawler. In Greenland the natives pretty much hate Greenpeace. They're barred from trading seal fur with the EU now, and Greenpeace sends up vessels on various harrassment missions, the latest I know of being to screw around the Cairn Oil oil drilling platform near Disko Bay. I think they even arrested a few of them and held them overnight the last time, and the next morning they all scidaddled away never to return. I got the impression they blame Greenpeace for the seal fur ban in the EU, but I might be wrong about that. That's pretty much Greenland's mainstay, so now they're branching out into oil exploration contracts, rare-earth mineral ventures and so on. I guess there's a law against uranium mining, but to get some of the rare earths (or was it gold?) they have to kick up some uranium dust from the ore. So Greenpeace has certainly provided themselves with fund-raising opportunities into the far future by screwing up Greenland native seal hunting, or so it appears.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: