H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 21, 2014, 06:49:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cthulhu rises in 2012!  (Read 2271 times)
lorddoomicus
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »

The Mayans new the deal ... the stars will be right and Cthulhu will rise on 12/21/2012. 

Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

Nah, I think they were off by a year. And I think was on purpose. Everyone will be all happy and revealed when that date rolls around and we are still here and them BAM! one year later, everything goes kabloy and the last thing we will all hear before we are blown apart on the winds of an insane and uncaring universe is a bunch of Mayan yelling, "SUCKER!"

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Eric Lofgren
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »

I dunno. The stars can't be possibly right again just a scant 90 years after the last rising. That just seems improper somehow. Seems to me we have like vegintillians (sp?) of years to wait for the Big C's Second Coming. 

Remember kids, never correlate the results of your research.
http://theartofericlofgren.blogspot.com/
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:40:13 AM »

The end of the world was on March 11, 2011. Wait and see.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »

Well according to Shadowrun, a source that has yet to be wrong in its predictions, the Sixth Age actually began on December 24th, 2011. Of course, a great dragon was supposed to erupt from Mt. Fugi when it happened, but with the climate of Chinese Communism in full swing, who is to say that isn't exactly what happened and it is being covered up. Unfortunately, I think this current  train of thought is just a vain attempt to save my diminishing childhood and convince myself that my favorite RPG is never wrong. :::sigh:::

Bob

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

Leonard Nimoy on In Search Of said the ancient extinct Mayans predicted the world would end with violent shaking on December 24, 2011. The age would end, excuse me. To be followed by world government. The problem is the Mayans aren't extinct, and nothing really happened on Dec 24, 2011. Right now, though, when it isn't cloudy, I can see two big bright planets in the night sky playing tag, right next to one another. Throw a red-blooded comet in that mix and it's a party.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »

A red-blooded comet? Did you mean blood-red comet, or is that a REALLY weird comet you have in mind?

Bob

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »

Red-blooded, meaning normal, run of the Hamlet's mill type.

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

I've only heard red-blooded in phrases like "red-blooded American" or the like. But you did the lovecraftian thing and juxtaposed it with a comet. well done, sir. well done. Wink

Bob

MartinRonnlund
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:43 AM »

I dunno. The stars can't be possibly right again just a scant 90 years after the last rising. That just seems improper somehow. Seems to me we have like vegintillians (sp?) of years to wait for the Big C's Second Coming. 
Oh Eric, do you think that Cthulhu could have been stopped by a boat if the stars had been _right_? That makes me laugh in a human fashion (put the evidence on the table).

“Cold! One of my many weaknesses!”
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:05 AM »

Well considering that Lovecraft intentionally left the actual position of the stars vague should be a clue that there is no way to really anticipate what conditions would be considered "right". Maybe the positions could be "kind of right" or even "mostly right" and still produce an effect. And if the Big C's existence outside of R'lyeh is dependent on the stars staying "right" then I really don't think we have much to worry about.

Bob, clinging to his ignorance

TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

Well considering that Lovecraft intentionally left the actual position of the stars vague should be a clue that there is no way to really anticipate what conditions would be considered "right". Maybe the positions could be "kind of right" or even "mostly right" and still produce an effect. And if the Big C's existence outside of R'lyeh is dependent on the stars staying "right" then I really don't think we have much to worry about.

Bob, clinging to his ignorance

Isn't that the case in The Call of Cthulhu?  That the mixtures of the stars being not quiet right yet, the cultists not being around and a boat popping his noggin' is what sent the big guy back to bed?

A Prairie Horror Companion: http://prairiehorror.blogspot.com/
Winnipeg Wobbly Blog: http://winnipegwobbly.blogspot.com/
...And Live in Harmony with the Earth Blog: http://ecowobbly.blogspot.com/
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

I'd lay it all entirely at the stars not being quite right. Cthulhu only needs the cultists to open his tomb, which the sailors did by accident, so that's not an issue. And I can't imagine that if the stars were truly right, getting hit by a boat would do much of anything. In fact, it didn't do much of anything in the story but give Johansen time to get away. The tomb is still hanging wide open at the end of the story, and Cthulhu's splattered parts are already recombining as Johansen sails away. There's nothing stopping Big C from reclaiming the Earth, and yet he doesn't. The only explanation is that the stars are not yet right.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: