H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
October 30, 2014, 02:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: That line-crossing moment in reading HPL...  (Read 2491 times)
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »

When you say to yourself "Why don't I just buy a volume of his letters?" because that's what a sane person would do. Totally. I bought volume 2, 1925-1929 because it was 1/3 the price of volume one and I want to see if I enjoy reading them before diving into that pool. Plenty of interesting works during those years. Shipped today. I may post bits from it if I find things which might interest the whole class.

Has anyone else read the letters? Own them? (want to lend or sell me v.1 for under $100?)

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »

I copied a bunch that appeared on the web briefly a few years ago. Mostly with Klarkash if I recall.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »

Wow, that is weird. I just thought of trying to find some copies of the selected letters last night. Is that a coincidence or part of a greater plan? I'm not sure, but I do know that it's a bit creepy.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

I can WINRar up my meagre collection if anyone wants it.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

I can WINRar up my meagre collection if anyone wants it.

Certainly would. No point in risking not having everything.

Just got the book today and am quite excited with it. Poor HPL just got robbed. Sad But he also visited DC, which was amusing.

And someone on my FB page just pointed me at a collection of his exchanges with Howard: A Means to Freedom. I think I'd enjoy that on its own because it seems to have both sides of the conversation! I also keep meaning to get the anthology of Howard's weird fic. I laughed my butt off last night over his part in "The Challenge from Beyond."

Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »

Also, loved this self-portrait of how HPL thought he'd have looked in 1715. Oh dear. Sweetie.

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »

It looks like he took extra care with the eyes there.

Here you all go, some webpages from a Klarkash fansite saved before they disappeared. At least I think they disappeared, or the letters did. Probably all taken from Selected Letters, probably mistyped in places. They had some Robert Howard correspondence too, but I guess I put that somewhere else, it's not in the same directory.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3saavw

Happy reading.

Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »

Thank you! (and yes, the eyes actually look right)

ungelic_is_us
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

That is one awesome self-portrait.

I realize that I'm getting to the place where I need to read the letters. I've been holding back, because I know that once I take the plunge there will be no returning to life as it was...but dammit, the man is just so fascinating!
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

Here you all go, some webpages from a Klarkash fansite saved before they disappeared. At least I think they disappeared, or the letters did. Probably all taken from Selected Letters, probably mistyped in places. They had some Robert Howard correspondence too, but I guess I put that somewhere else, it's not in the same directory.

Happy reading.

OldBook, ladies and gentlemen! Saving us time and money once again. What can anyone say except that the man Rocks!

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

OldBook, ladies and gentlemen! Saving us time and money once again. What can anyone say except that the man Rocks!

Bob

THank you for the note of appreciation, Bob. As I look out my window right now I see Venus and Jupiter almost next to each other, beginning to set in the west. Orion's Belt shimmers through the left pane. It won't be long, now.

Miskatonic Philologus
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »

Happy reading.

Thanks for the link!!!

Ready now with those switches?
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

Oh good, I'll take that as meaning the link actually worked.

T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »

Hell, I started buying his ACTUAL letters a number of years ago.  Sadly I think I keep beating out Andrew Lehman in the online auctions for them.  Sorry...
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »

Hell, I started buying his ACTUAL letters a number of years ago.  Sadly I think I keep beating out Andrew Lehman in the online auctions for them.  Sorry...

See, as a future-archivist I see those and think "It belongs in a museum[archive]!"

Speaking of which, I'm planning a trip up to see a friend in Providence, see Providence, and look at CAS's letters in the HPL collection at the John Hay library! (for reasons which will be revealed later)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: