H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:20:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you live/visit in Lovecraft country ?  (Read 29138 times)
Vulpine
Unhinged

420925126 vulpine137 vulpine137
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »

Don't think this appears in the forums yet, I know the guys talked about it on the show though.  If you could live somewhere that HPL wrote about, where would you live ?  Or visit ?

Me, I'd say Innsmouth.  Besides the Shoggoths, it sounds like a nice place, nice sense of community, active religious life...
*wink*  Plus all the sushi and raw whiskey a growing hybrid could need...

or if I wasn't insane...Kingsport.  Same old New England charm, minus the shoggoths and fish people.  Just avoid houses in mist or Terrible Old Men.

"We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever."
starblazie
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »

Arkham would be the place for me.   University town with a great library.  Smiley

"...prayers without sacrifices are only words." - Sallustius
Inner Prop
Unhinged

I've seen things you wouldn't imagine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »

I vote Arkham as well, followed by Australia and then Antarctica.  You should have made this a poll.

"engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, ...The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."   Blaise Pascal
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:31 AM »

You know, I may be in the minority here, but I would live in Sarnath, to a ripe old age, and then die the week before the 1,000 year anniversary. Tell me that wouldn't be bad-ass. Wink

Bob, loving his luxury

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »

Innsmouth.  I make my permanent home in a rundown, isolated rust belt factory town in Pennsylvania.  As a house-warming present I wrote my wife an HPL pastiche about a couple that moves to Innsmouth because they enjoy living there.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »

Innsmouth.  I make my permanent home in a rundown, isolated rust belt factory town in Pennsylvania.  As a house-warming present I wrote my wife an HPL pastiche about a couple that moves to Innsmouth because they enjoy living there.

That  might be fun to read.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »

That  might be fun to read.

Bob

Hey, Bob!  I shot you a PM!  I love sharing my stuff-such as it is...
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »

...followed by Australia and then Antarctica.

If we're including real places that were used as settings for Lovecraft stories, then surely Boston, New York, Providence, and Paris would be at the top of the list, no?

Confining it to places invented by HPL, I think Bob Lovecraft has the best idea of all of us, although I think the wealth, grandeur, and splendor of Sarnath would get on my nerves after a while. I grew up in the country, and I love cats, so I would prefer Ulthar.

If we're leaving out dream-locations and ancient history, and confining "Lovecraft country" to his fictional New England... yeah, Arkham sounds like the best bet. It's a spooky old town where nothing much in the way of real danger happens (unless you happen to live in a witch's attic and refuse to leave even when things start getting weird). It's got the University with its library of unspeakable tomes, and it's within easy driving distance of Innsmouth, so you can always dive into the creepy danger if you want, but always come back to relatively-safe Arkham. Just don't drink the tap water and lock your door on Walpurgisnacht, and you should be all right.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:53:28 AM by Genus Unknown » Logged

Inner Prop
Unhinged

I've seen things you wouldn't imagine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »

I'll bet real estate is still reasonable along that "new" reservoir that covered the Blasted Heath.  Would be a fine view too, as long as you don't go swimming and drink only bottled water.

"engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, ...The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."   Blaise Pascal
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »

I'll bet real estate is still reasonable along that "new" reservoir that covered the Blasted Heath.  Would be a fine view too, as long as you don't go swimming and drink only bottled water.

The Blasted Heath is one of my favorite stories - and it reminds me of a few places I've been.  Centralia, PA comes to mind.  Town's on fire - people still won't move. 
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

Well, I already lived in "Lovecraft country", I grew up in Vermont, not far from where Whisperer takes place, although it was much more prosaic while growing up their in the eighties than Lovecraft's version. Life would have been much more interesting had I come across Mi-go while hiking in the woods.

I would love to explore the Plateau of Leng...if I could live long enough to tell people what I have seen.

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
Vulpine
Unhinged

420925126 vulpine137 vulpine137
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »

Probably a poll would have been a good idea, but I didn't notice that was an opinion.  *forum reading fail*

"We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever."
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

I'd probably go for Inuto next to Leng, because it has a touch of the void about it, but not so much that you can't retreat into your suburban home, shut the garage door and check what's on cable. Wait, is Inuto next to Leng? What's that place next to Leng where they quarry marble?

Kingsport sounds nice, too. Nir seems a little too backwoods and hickish. Olathoe is probably overrated. Arkham is probably a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »

I thought "Inuto" was the name given to the HORRIBLE ESQUIMAUX OF DOOM in "Polaris."

JulieH
Mind-Blasted

Resident Diva, 19 Nocturne Boulevard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

Arkham, as long as I can wangle myself a reading room pass to Miskatonic.

--Julie Hoverson
19 Nocturne Boulevard
(www.19nocturneboulevard.com)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: