H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
September 21, 2017, 08:20:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you live/visit in Lovecraft country ?  (Read 27776 times)
starblazie
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »

If we're leaving out dream-locations and ancient history, and confining "Lovecraft country" to his fictional New England... yeah, Arkham sounds like the best bet. It's a spooky old town where nothing much in the way of real danger happens (unless you happen to live in a witch's attic and refuse to leave even when things start getting weird). It's got the University with its library of unspeakable tomes, and it's within easy driving distance of Innsmouth, so you can always dive into the creepy danger if you want, but always come back to relatively-safe Arkham. Just don't drink the tap water and lock your door on Walpurgisnacht, and you should be all right.

I'd probably go for Inuto next to Leng, because it has a touch of the void about it, but not so much that you can't retreat into your suburban home, shut the garage door and check what's on cable. Wait, is Inuto next to Leng? What's that place next to Leng where they quarry marble?

Kingsport sounds nice, too. Nir seems a little too backwoods and hickish. Olathoe is probably overrated. Arkham is probably a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

As long as you don't engage in occult activities in Arkham or hang out with people that do, I would imagine life in Arkham would be relatively quiet.  Well, and my birthday is Walpurgisnacht.  Take that for what you will.

I dug out my notes for Kadath and it is Inganok that lies near the plateau of Leng with its large quarries of onyx; and has "shadows no cat will endure."  Randolph Carter debarks in Inganok.  In Inganok, the slaves were squat, slant-eyed folk said to have drifted somehow across or around the the impassable peaks form valleys beyond Leng.

"...prayers without sacrifices are only words." - Sallustius
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »

Well, and my birthday is Walpurgisnacht.  Take that for what you will.

I take it to mean that your first name is Keziah, and you have a very unusual pet.

starblazie
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

Well, and my birthday is Walpurgisnacht.  Take that for what you will.

I take it to mean that your first name is Keziah, and you have a very unusual pet.

LOL  Oh, and Brown Jenkins says hi.

"...prayers without sacrifices are only words." - Sallustius
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »

Arkham, as long as I can wangle myself a reading room pass to Miskatonic.

She says just before going mad and dieing screaming in an insane asylum.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Graf von Altenberg Ehrenstein
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

Now that `s hard. There are so many cool places to visit for like sightseeing, but live there like spend your life or some extended period of time? I mean, there `s great neighbourhoods but the neighbours are all kind of weird.
So my top places to visit and take pictures:
- Innsmouth, for I visited London last year and I whish to see if it could get any worse
- Antarctica, of course for alien ruins but also for those giant, cave dwelling albino penguins
- just any Yithian city, to see if their architecture is as awseome and fascinating as I picture it, of course using one of those atomic-engined vehicles with a group of other tourists

As a place to live, I would love to by the Strange High House as summer residence for my retirement. I could stay high on the mist all day long. And surely no annoying salesmen would be knocking at my door and drop stuff in my mailbox...
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »

Innsmouth, for I visited London last year and I whish to see if it could get any worse

I know "LOL" is an Internet cliché, but I want to make it clear that I did in fact laugh out loud.

DustyTome
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »

I wouldn't live anywhere in Lovecraft country. I agree with some people who've said that Arkham would be a nice choice as long as you don't drink the water ... but you're still going to come into contact with the water! Are you going to bathe in bottled water? I know I wouldn't.

If I was visiting a locale, I would visit Dunwich just so I could drive through and see Sentinal Hill. I'd go to Innsmouth provided I rode in a well-maintained, chauffeur-driven car with a squad of burly, heavily-armed bodyguards. I'd drive through the hills of Vermont with a similar crew in tow. Smiley Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to take your brain and send it to Yuggoth.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »

I'd drive through the hills of Vermont with a similar crew in tow. Smiley

If Akeley's experience is any indication, you'd be better off with a pack of police dogs.

Graf von Altenberg Ehrenstein
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »

Should be a big pack though. Maybe a trailer load. Dogs seem to die young in Vermont.
But Yuggoth would be sweet, too. Only it must be rather difficult to take pictures when you `re a brain in jar...
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »

Miskatonic library special collections please.

DustyTome
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:38 AM »

I'd drive through the hills of Vermont with a similar crew in tow. Smiley

If Akeley's experience is any indication, you'd be better off with a pack of police dogs.

Good idea. I'd take a pack of police dogs and a squad of burly bodyguards. A girl can't be too careful.
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »

Miskatonic library special collections please.

No kidding.  Here's a couple of treats from my personal library to keep you going.  

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »

Ex libris, or it didn't happen! Smiley

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »

OK, everyone begin to shun T. Kelly Lee. He is obviously an avatar of Nyarlathotep trying to tempt up into joining his cult by showing us rare tomes to wet out whistles. Beware!!!! Shocked

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »

Ex libris, or it didn't happen! Smiley

You're trying to give this archivist a heart attack aren't you??   Shocked  I've spent the bulk of my career trying to get those damn things OUT of rare books - not put them in!!! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: