H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 23, 2017, 07:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you live/visit in Lovecraft country ?  (Read 29189 times)
CMcCormack
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »

I have a really stupid question to ask.  I haven't visited Marblehead yet, but can you tell me how the locals pronounce it?  This is something I argue about all the time.  Is it something like: "Mahble-head"? 

Hahaha well it's pronounced exactly as it looks--i.e. Marble-Head--whether or not you hear the R is entirely up to the person who's saying it

Clay
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »

I have a really stupid question to ask.  I haven't visited Marblehead yet, but can you tell me how the locals pronounce it?  This is something I argue about all the time.  Is it something like: "Mahble-head"? 

Hahaha well it's pronounced exactly as it looks--i.e. Marble-Head--whether or not you hear the R is entirely up to the person who's saying it

Clay

Damn it!  I wanted it to be silly and New England-y.  Of course in my Texas it comes out as "Marable Hayd."  So there you go. 
CMcCormack
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »

Damn it!  I wanted it to be silly and New England-y.  Of course in my Texas it comes out as "Marable Hayd."  So there you go. 

If it's any consolation, in highschool I had a history teacher who pronounced the nearby town of Gloucester as "Glaw-chester," much to the amusement of our class who, of course, pronounce it "Glaw-ster"
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »

If it's any consolation, in highschool I had a history teacher who pronounced the nearby town of Gloucester as "Glaw-chester," much to the amusement of our class who, of course, pronounce it "Glaw-ster"

Oh, yeah, that's how we'd say it back home as well. 
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Damn it!  I wanted it to be silly and New England-y. 

Based on my previous knowledge of New England place-name spelling conventions, the "New Englandy" pronunciation of "Marblehead" would be something like "gor-FLAP-ington."

CMcCormack
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »

Based on my previous knowledge of New England place-name spelling conventions, the "New Englandy" pronunciation of "Marblehead" would be something like "gor-FLAP-ington."

Come now, everyone knows Gorflappington is way west of boston!
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

I thought Gorflappington was a ghoting village, not so? (fishing, gh=f as in tough, o=i as in women, t=sh as in nation)

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Yojimbo
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

It's spelled Marblehead but its pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove."
Inner Prop
Unhinged

I've seen things you wouldn't imagine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »

Arthur Smokestoomuch better cut back, I don't get it.

"engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, ...The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."   Blaise Pascal
RedHookDave
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »

I do live in Lovecraft country, Red Hook, Brooklyn. It was horrible from a certain perspective when I moved here 11 years ago (roving packs of wild dogs, junkies everywhere, lots of abandoned buildings and factories...) But I loved it. Now we have a giant gourmet supermarket, ikea, reasturants I cant afford to eat at and alot more crime, due to the influx of folks who can be crime victims. I still get creeped out by the old stone church, built in 1845, it's where the "party" took place in the story. (i think).http://www.facebook.com/VBVMChurch

I would love to visit Antarctica, especially with those cool airplanes!
Eric Lofgren
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

My wife and I honeymooned in Boston and Cape Cod and I'd go back in a heart beat. And happily do the rest of New England as well. I suppose if I was to nail it down, I'd pick Maine next. But I think that might be more King country, than HPL.

Remember kids, never correlate the results of your research.
http://theartofericlofgren.blogspot.com/
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »

I'd do Leng ... with an oxygen mask.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2012, 03:44:03 PM »

Do the Dreamlands count? Because I'd live in Ulthar. Peaceful, lovely, and full of kitties.

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »

Do the Dreamlands count? Because I'd live in Ulthar. Peaceful, lovely, and full of kitties.

Yeah, that might be nice. Just don't piss off the gypsies and you'll be jake.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »

Providence exists in the Dreamlands too, sort of. I'm not sure if it does in the horror stuff, can't remember, and not sure if I'd want to live there anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: