H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
October 22, 2018, 06:50:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lovecraft and....Ron Swanson?  (Read 6824 times)
CMcCormack
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »

So this past Friday, I attended a double feature screening of the HPLHS' productions of Call of Cthulhu and Whisperer in Darkness, which featured a Q and A with SFX supervisor Dan Novy, who was kind enough to shed some unique insight onto both features.

The most interesting thing I learned, however, was that all of the miniatures and built special effects for CoC were manufactured in the woodshop of one Nick Offerman--Ron Swanson of NBC's Parks and Recreation!  Apparently he, Novy, and Andrew Leman among others, were really big Call of Cthulhu live action role players back in Illinois!

People may already know this, I don't know, but I thought it was a really neat bit of trivia, and did not expect Nick Offerman to be a Lovecraft fan!
CMcCormack
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »

Also, I'd like to follow that up by saying that even though I had some problems with the last act of WiD, Matt Foyer was absolutely fantastic, and should really be in more movies.
Chris Lackey
Great Old One
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »

Nick Offerman is pal of ours! We shot a ton of the Call of Cthulhu in his woodshop. The HPLHS office/workshop was right next to his for years. He's a super guy.
Ming
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »

So what are the odds of getting him to do a reading for you guys?  Or maybe be a guest?  Because I'm pretty sure that that would be the coolest thing EVER.
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »

Nick playing in character as Ron Swanson on the show would be fantastic.

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
CMcCormack
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »

Yes, that would in fact be the coolest thing ever.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: