Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lovecraft Would Dig these Video Games
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 05:43:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lovecraft Would Dig these Video Games  (Read 128767 times)
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »

The Mac version appears to be a port of the iPad version, rather than, as would've been better, a port of the original PC version.  I have finished the game on iPad, but I'm not over-familiar with the game, so I can't give you exact details on how the puzzles work.  Some of them are a little fidgety though.  I can therefore however, reassure you that the iPad version can be finished, since I have done so.

Hope this helps answer your question.
Parallaxicality
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »

Given that the entire franchise is Lovecraft-inspired, it seems fair to mention "Ghostbusters: The Video Game", which features an island citadel rising out of the Hudson!
fox01313
Blissfully Ignorant

artist, video game designer/artist in training

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »

New to the site but know that there's a few little gems out there (thanks to game wikis like Giant Bomb to refresh my memories) that might invoke some much needed Lovecraftian mirth and/or madness:

Terraria - A 2dimensional version of Minecraft where you can dig all you want or mess with the stone altar to summon the Eye of Cthulhu
Cthulhu Saves the World - A rather amusing little RPG in the style of some of the early Japanese RPG games like how Final Fantasy got started which makes Cthulhu into a hero against all kinds of monsters on a quest to save the world for him to destroy it later
Elder Sign: Omens - Not released yet on PC but stuck in the miasma of Steam Greenlight (where the community on Steam vote for games they want to see) though it looks insanely fun
Magicka: The Stars are Left - Haven't played too much of the DLC yet as the main game got a bit rough for me in this top-down action game of mages with a crazy amount of magic spell combinations & quirky fun. Not your ordinary fantasy games when you can get a machine gun, Link's sword or use spells like the Blue Screen of Death (does what you think it would).

Also played all the way through two games that were mentioned earlier, Deadly Premonition & Sherlock Holmes the Awakened, both are quite good but will say that Sherlock Holmes game is rather light on Lovecraft but definitely recommended with a walkthrough to get through some of the more rough puzzles (where they just don't give you a ton of information to solve it) & while I still enjoy Deadly Premonition it's a bit rough on the Xbox360. Imagine someone making video games in Japan where they take some of H.P. Lovecraft as well as Twin Peaks tv series, blend them together with their own twists to them while saving money by lowering production costs so it visually looks like the technology was 5 years old. Despite that statement, it has a freaking amazing amount of charm & heart put into it which makes it somewhat endearing. The folks at the Giant Bomb website have them playing through the game in the Video section of their site, Endurance subcategory in the videos labeled DP where they went rather blind into the game & recording it for everyone to enjoy.

links:
gaming wiki
http://www.giantbomb.com/

Terraria
http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

Cthulhu Saves the World
http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310/

Elder Sign: Omens (not out yet but getting support to be sold on Steam), android mobile version quite fun
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99580155

Magicka DLC for the Stars are Left (needs Magicka to play)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/73058/

edit-feel so bad about forgetting They Bleed Pixels as it's rather cute, quotes H.P. Lovecraft in the chapter starts & get's bloody tough but really enjoying the music in it as well as the comic book style look to the story (seen in Trailer 1).

They Bleed Pixels steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211260/

and a much cuter version here in Scribblenauts Unlimited (a word based puzzle game where you create things to help solve problems, like summoning Cthulhu)

Scribblenauts Unlimited steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218680/

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:35:14 AM by fox01313 » Logged

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Parallaxicality
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »

\Just wondered, why do you think Lovecraft has had such a massive influence on video games, when he's had such a limited impact on cinema? It's interesting that so many feel that Lovecraft's works are unfilmable, yet they have been made into countless video games. Is there something about Lovecraft's narrative that translates better to interactive fiction than to cinema?
fox01313
Blissfully Ignorant

artist, video game designer/artist in training

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »

\Just wondered, why do you think Lovecraft has had such a massive influence on video games, when he's had such a limited impact on cinema? It's interesting that so many feel that Lovecraft's works are unfilmable, yet they have been made into countless video games. Is there something about Lovecraft's narrative that translates better to interactive fiction than to cinema?

That's a good question, I think personally with all the influence done at the dawn of the tabletop RPG games where Lovecraft's work went into creature design as well as going into other games more influenced by his work just translated well into video games. It does seem that his work does translate better to animation/games a little better as you can better fit his imagination just because you have more control than just filming something with a giant monster in the background of some guy in a suit. Also now with the independent game scene skyrocketing, many games need less of a budget to try some different things to stand out where a movie might be more hindered with the need of more money for special effects to get things done (where a game just needs good art/design & then the characters can be whatever you can make up*). The other thing that comes to mind is what I recall from the creation of the band Kiss, there wasn't a band like it in the 1970s so they set out to make the band they wanted to see, the same thing might be happening with games lately is that there was a huge drought of not very good horror games, especially atmospheric/Lovecraft horror games so just guessing that now's the right time for those games to spawn & infect the world.

*as long as what your imagination comes up with is in the limits of the game & doesn't break it

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Cloven Sunfish
Blissfully Ignorant

hepromantic
View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »

I haven't been to this forum in an unnameable amount of time! Okay, 2 years or so....I just starting playing Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - the followup up to the masterpiece Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and so far it's an excellent Lovecraftian game. The Dark Descent, as has been mentioned, seems to take lots of influences from "The Outsider" and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward," whereas A Machine for Pigs seems to owe more of a debt to "The Rats in the Walls." I've only managed to play the first 20-30 minutes, but the protagonist is in a vulnerable and lonely place not unlike Delapore. Delapore describes his son as "motherless." We can only assume that his mother died in childbirth or at some point afterward. One of the earliest moments in A Machine for Pigs reveals that the protagonist's wife died will giving birth to twins. I managed to repress my memories of The Dark Descent since I haven't played it in a couple years, but now all that utter terror is creeping back in. These games are easily the best survival horror games in a decade or more, and they reinforce what you can do with mood, setting, and subtlety just like HPL's work. The developers even named their game engine the HPL engine, so they're clearly wearing their influences on their sleeves.
7hitcombo
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:36 AM »

i don't know if anyone already mentioned this game but Eldritch is a great rogue-like set in a lovcraftian world www.eldritchgame.com
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »

Looks like a new Call of Cthulhu game is on the way, from the makers of the Sherlock Holmes games, which include the Holmes/Lovecraft cross-over game, The Awakened!

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/frogwares-developing-new-call-of-cthulhu-for-next-gen-and-pc/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://m.imgur.com/a/6gKGS
Kat
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2014, 03:44:14 AM »

I'm totally bookmarking this for my birthday wishlist!

Random question: does anybody know where I can find a Lovecraft-based RPG group in the Denver area?

By the way, I've started making Chulhu dice bags, so if anyone's interested, I sell them at https://www.etsy.com/listing/185259073/cthulhu-dice-bag?ref=shop_home_active_3 for $25.
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »

Sooo, anybody been playing Bloodborne?  I've got it but haven't played it yet.  I hear it gets rather Lovecraftian...

EDITED TO ADD:  Yep, anybody who's up for a stiff challenge and loves them some cosmic horror of the Lovecraftian variey should definitely play this game!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:12:41 AM by Bulbatron » Logged
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »

The new Call of Cthulhu videogame.  It's happennng!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-26-call-of-cthulhu-back-from-the-dead
pokem23
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »

We could help some of the visitors here for the online gta v money cheats online from the money.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: