H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ep235 – Thangobrind  (Read 1759 times)
wreade1872
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »

Firstly here's the picture to go with the story and a link to the place i found it so as not to be a bandwidth leech. The blog has some other interesting stuff on there you should check out.
Picture: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_edfdVc9_vCE/TA48AJkLXdI/AAAAAAAABNA/UR7Ura9wB5o/s1600/Sidney_Sime-The_Ominous_Cough-sm.jpg
Source: http://mirabilis-yearofwonders.blogspot.ie/2010_06_01_archive.html

PS: If your wondering what that thing is in the middle-top of the picture. Its a chimney coming out of the tree, it took me 5mins of staring to work that out Embarrassed .

When you see the image, the idea that the picture came first then the story, seems much more likely. Although i'm not sure the artist intended that monster to be a spider. Sure theres some webs around but thats an odd looking arm for a spider.

The guys didn't seem to notice but i think the bit with the honey was supposed to be a dig at religions. When he offers the honey to Hlo-hlo the priests arn't supposed to take it, religious offerings like that are supposed to just magically disappear or something.
However Thangobrind knows how things really work and that its the priests who will make the honey miraculously vanish.

Before i saw the picture i was thinking that the woman 'who's house is Night' was symbolic, maybe a reference to the moon but then i thought its probably just a homeless woman Smiley.
BUT then it says he fell by 'the door of the house called Night', suggesting an actual building... until i reasoned that THAT might be a metaphor for losing consciousness.

As for the two hanging men, that definitely seemed symbolic, i think being hung on the left meant he was going to hell, and being hung on the right is heaven. There certainly seemed something judgmental about it anyway.

Final thought. This clearly had an influence on Tolkien with Bilbo and the spiders and later Shelob.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:09:32 AM by wreade1872 » Logged
Ewomaraka
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:45:41 AM »

I will read something like this to me always.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: