H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
September 23, 2017, 11:12:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arthur Conan Doyle vs Lovecraft  (Read 1767 times)
wreade1872
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »

I recently finished The Lost World by Doyle and there was some oddly Lovecraftian dinosaur's in there. The main bad dinosaur seems like the usual Velociraptor type until they see it in day light when we get this very Tsathoggua like description:

"In shape they were like horrible toads, and moved in a succession of springs, but in size they were of an incredible bulk, larger than the largest elephant. We had never before seen them save at night, and indeed they are nocturnal animals save when disturbed in their lairs, as these had been. We now stood amazed at the sight, for their blotched and warty skins were of a curious fish-like iridescence, and the sunlight struck them with an ever-varying rainbow bloom as they moved.
We had little time to watch them, however, for in an instant they had overtaken the fugitives and were making a dire slaughter among them. Their method was to fall forward with their full weight upon each in turn, leaving him crushed and mangled, to bound on after the others."

Then there was this bizarre bit which seemed straight from Call of Cthulhu:
"I will tell, too, of the great nocturnal white thing—to this day we do not know whether it was beast or reptile—which lived in a vile swamp to the east of the lake, and flitted about with a faint phosphorescent glimmer in the darkness. The Indians were so terrified at it that they would not go near the place, and, though we twice made expeditions and saw it each time, we could not make our way through the deep marsh in which it lived. I can only say that it seemed to be larger than a cow and had the strangest musky odor."

Lovecraftianess turns up in the strangest places Smiley .

laughingacademy
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »

Does anyone know if HPL ever read The Lost World? He was definitely familiar with ACD; in a 1918 letter to Alfred Galpin he writes, "I read every Sherlock Holmes story published, and even organised a detective agency when I was thirteen."
Dizzcodeanti
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:18:26 AM »

This information is very useful to have a material very carefully.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: