H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
October 19, 2017, 07:38:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LOVECRAFT GETS GOING  (Read 1659 times)
RonPrice
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »

H. P. Lovecraft was an American author of horror, fantasy, and science fiction, especially the sub-genre known as weird fiction.1 Until this evening I thought I had never even heard of him but, upon further reflection and investigation into my small library here in this small house in this small old town in Tasmania, I realized I had read about him many years ago in one of Colin Wilson’s books.2 During Lovecraft’s lifetime he did not attract the attention of serious critics. After his death in 1937, within weeks of the start of the first Baha’i teaching Plan, though, Lovecraft has had quite an afterlife.

Lovecraft’s influence has been far-reaching and, in the last thirty or forty years, since my arrival in Australia as an international pioneer for the Canadian Baha’i community in the early 1970s, that influence has been continually on the increase, often in extra-literary ways. Board games, computer games, and role-playing games have been inspired by his work; the archive at hplovecraft.com includes an apparently endless list of pop songs—not all of them death metal—that quote or refer to his tales; and there have been around fifty film and television adaptations, although hardly any of these have been more than superficially related to their sources.-Ron Price with thanks to 1Tales  by H.P. Lovecraft, edited by Peter Straub, Library of America, 838 pp. and H. P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life; and 2Colin Wilson, The Strength To Dream, Abacus, London, 1976.

You died at the very start
of that ’37 teaching Plan in
North America. I never even
heard of you & you probably
never even heard of it. Your
premise was that life is utterly
incomprehensible to humans &
the universe is a fundamentally
inimical entity to the interests of
humankind: life is a hideous thing.1

1 For a succinct and useful analysis of Lovecraft’s writings, which opens with this last line about life’s hideous quality, read Colin Wilson’s The Strength to Dream, Abacus, London, 1976, pp.1-9 and pp. 102-106. According to Joyce Carol Oates, Lovecraft—as with Edgar Allan Poe in the 19th century—has exerted "an incalculable influence on succeeding generations of writers of horror fiction." See: Joyce Carol Oates, October 31, 1996, "The King of Weird,” The New York Review of Books.

Ron Price
9/1/'12 to 14/8/'15.
harrypower
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:51:39 AM »

I promise you that after reading this information useful people. I will bring it to life.

RandalllBuill
Blissfully Ignorant

989849307 randalezs2@gmail.com RandalllBuill RandalllBuill
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:29:10 AM »

Oh fuck I would be pissed. I think I would had destroy that person... fuck sack whats wrong with people these days???

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: