H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 25, 2017, 04:45:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Episode 270 The Gable Window compared with Lurker at the Threshold  (Read 1446 times)
DoctorAckula
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

For those who have read the Derleth/Lovecraft "collaboration" Lurker at the Threshold

Specifically regarding the window in "The Gable Window" compared with the rose window in "Lurker"

Does anyone else get the impression that Derleth was not only "borrowing" from Lovecraft, but also "stealing" from his own work.  (too harsh, I know)

I believe that "Gable Window" came out over 10 years after "Lurker" but since the podcast didn't reference "Lurker" at all I was just wondering if anyone else thought this story was somewhat derivative.

Any thoughts?
Eibon
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »

For those who have read the Derleth/Lovecraft "collaboration" Lurker at the Threshold

Specifically regarding the window in "The Gable Window" compared with the rose window in "Lurker"

Does anyone else get the impression that Derleth was not only "borrowing" from Lovecraft, but also "stealing" from his own work.  (too harsh, I know)

I believe that "Gable Window" came out over 10 years after "Lurker" but since the podcast didn't reference "Lurker" at all I was just wondering if anyone else thought this story was somewhat derivative.

Any thoughts?

I think there is some resemblance, but I don't know how intended that was. "Lurker" is built of two long plot outlines ("The Round Tower” and an untitled fragment, usually referred to as "The Rose Window”) and a "book quote" found among Lovecraft's notes ("Of Evill Sorceries Done in New-England of Daemons in no Humane Shape").

"The Gable Window" is based on short plots in Lovecraft's Commonplace Book: "118 Something seen at oriel window of forbidden room in ancient manor house."; "205 Person gazes out window and finds city and world dark and dead (or oddly changed) outside."; "206 Trying to identify and visit the distant scenes dimly seen from one’s window—bizarre consequences.".

The similar theme means there are things in common. Derleth was certainly not against re-using what shreds of Lovecraft he could.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: