H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What HP Lovecraft story would you like to see developed into a short musical?  (Read 2035 times)
ZickyT
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »

I'm writing a musical based off the works of HP Lovecraft and the people who inhabit his worlds, and was wondering what stories do you think are deserving of there own songs?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:30:44 AM by ZickyT » Logged
wileydg86
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

It would probably be too easy to say The Music of Erich Zann, but you can't deny it's a cool story. Structurally, maybe The Case of Charles Dexter Ward would be good for a long-form musical idea, and I suppose you would just have to decide where to break for acts/individual scenes since it's composed of five parts (chapters?) with multiple little subsections. There's a lot of fodder there for adaptation though, and far fewer crazy monsters too try and depict onstage Smiley.

But a personal fave would be Haunter of the Dark - I just love the story, lot's of creepy imagery in the church and you don't have to deal with ever actually showing the Three-Lobed Burning Eye. In any event, best of luck and I'd love to hear/see it when you finish!

"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler
Adrian Ward
Blissfully Ignorant

Human parasite, avid reader, 51st VC of Aldergate

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »

'The Outsider' is my favorite story, and could make for an amusing novelty number. I don't believe it's ever explicitly stated that his lone ululation of horror and alienation didn't take the form of a snappy comic ballad.

I won't pretend that I deserve this second chance. Quite clearly I do not. But I'm taking it all the same.

Oh, and I'm always looking for good new stories to read aloud to the internet - by which I mean dreadful old ones.  Any suggestions?
jafung
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:57:41 AM »

Content updates or new information than this right here.
Tom
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »

My favorite Lovecraft story pound for pound might be The Rats in the Walls.  But how about Nyarlathotep?  When the audience to Nyarlathotep's show is driven out into the street and "drifted into curious involuntary marching formations," it doesn't specifically say they don't form a conga line....
SteveJ
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:34:27 AM »

Brilliant idea!!!

Structurally, maybe The Case of Charles Dexter Ward would be good for a long-form musical idea, and I suppose you would just have to decide where to break for acts/individual scenes since it's composed of five parts (chapters?) with multiple little subsections. There's a lot of fodder there for adaptation though, and far fewer crazy monsters too try and depict onstage Smiley.

I'd say the same. I think it's quite easy to divide into acts. As for the songs, Joseph Curwen definitely deserves one.

How about something 'The Call of Cthulhu'-inspired?  Tongue

HelenJohnson1961
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:38:21 AM »

I definitely go for a The Music of Erich Zann too. It's such a great, interesting story!

I am sure that kauczuk is the best material for a playground!
bbqdave
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »

My favorite Lovecraft story pound for pound might be The Rats in the Walls.  But how about Nyarlathotep?  When the audience to Nyarlathotep's show is driven out into the street and "drifted into curious involuntary marching formations," it doesn't specifically say they don't form a conga line....

The conga line's a great idea. I'd like to see Whisper in Darkness.  Picture Wilmarth and Akely on opposite sides of the stage narrating their correspondence in duet form!!!

"I'm afraid to go to town,
looking out for Farmer Brown
read my letters read my logs
got a problem SEND MORE DOGS"

Is he crazy? Is he mad?
He's the best pen pal I've had!
Whatever the risk, whatever the sorrow
I must meet him in Battleborrow! Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: