H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:20:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Great (and not-so-great) old horror stories - thoughts? Interest?  (Read 617 times)
Adrian Ward
Blissfully Ignorant

Human parasite, avid reader, 51st VC of Aldergate

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »

Hallo all! While HPPodcraft has been and remains my most cherished source for weird fiction from HPL onward, I find myself increasingly interested in the older stuff - before Lovecraft, and even before Poe. Not just the Gothic stuff; penny dreadfuls and less-regarded literary ghastlies of the 18th century. Essentially, tales from the awkward adolescence of horror fiction, before it came properly into its own.

I've done some digging, and turned up some quite interesting tidbits, including some stories that I'm quite sure Poe must have read (the Blackwood Articles he satirized). The problem is, they're not so terribly easy to find. My questions, then, are these:

1) Does anybody have any suggestions? Recommendations for early masters of the macabre who deserve a read?

2) I find myself with a great deal of time and not much to do with it, and I'm entertaining the notion of doing a bit of podcasting myself - nothing extravagant, I pretend no literary scholarship, just readings of stories that I feel deserve more love than they get. Is that a thing anybody wants? Any advice?

I won't pretend that I deserve this second chance. Quite clearly I do not. But I'm taking it all the same.

Oh, and I'm always looking for good new stories to read aloud to the internet - by which I mean dreadful old ones.  Any suggestions?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: