H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:46:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Enhancements  (Read 1820 times)
octothorpe
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:11:17 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm a security conscientious software developer and a big fan of the podcast.
I thought I could put a few ideas forward to help move the site/forum forward in the right direction.

First off, I think we need some SSL (HTTPS) certificates.
I know they're not free, but you can find some very reasonably priced certs if you're willing to shop around.

Next, update the forum software. The footer says we're running v1.1.16 and according to the SMF site, v 2.0.11 is up for grabs: http://download.simplemachines.org/
I haven't gone through the version differences, but typically when you see a number bump from 1.X.X to 2.X.X, its a good indication that they've made some major improvements. Think along the line of Windows Vista vs Windows 7.

I'd be more than happy to help if the admin (Manndroid? Chad? Chris?) want some more details.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:45:41 PM by octothorpe » Logged
crunchberry
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »

Its awesome that you're willing to help out.I hope they take you up on your offer.
octothorpe
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »

Its awesome that you're willing to help out.I hope they take you up on your offer.

Me too. I've been dreaming up some site designs as well as functional enhancements. Nothing too drastic, but I think it would be nice to have the forum look something like the main site.
Chad & Chris mentioned in their latest episode that they're investing on the site. Maybe they already have some talent working on this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: