H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 23, 2017, 08:06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading (Non-Lovecraft)  (Read 94796 times)
TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »

Very simple: What are you currently reading that ISN'T H.P. Lovecraft? 

I'm almost done We The Anarchists!: A Study Of The Iberian Anarchist Federation (FAI) 1927–1937 by famed Scottish anarchist
Stuart Christie.  It's a really interesting look at the rise, co-option, and fall of a once influential anarchist organization in Spain.   

A Prairie Horror Companion: http://prairiehorror.blogspot.com/
Winnipeg Wobbly Blog: http://winnipegwobbly.blogspot.com/
...And Live in Harmony with the Earth Blog: http://ecowobbly.blogspot.com/
Kaelestes
Cultist
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

I'm working on Kraken: An Anatomy by China Mieville. It's pretty far out there in the weird fiction fantasy/horror/sci-fi universe, even by Mieville's standards, but I'm still enjoying it. In his own words: "It’s a dark comedy about a squid-worshipping cult and the end of the world. It takes the idea of the squid cult very seriously. Part of the appeal of the fantastic is taking ridiculous ideas very seriously and pretending they’re not absurd." The main character protests his involvement in the police's business regarding the looneys in the "Cthulhu cult" early on in the story, and then things start to get crazy.

EDIT: I should note that this is not mythos fiction. Mieville is a big fan of Lovecraft, but this story is nowhere near the latter's work. The only parallel is that Kraken is about a very dead giant squid corpse that has been stolen and it being used for nefarious end-of-the-world schemes. The similarities end there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:22:16 AM by Kaeles » Logged

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
Miel
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »

I'm reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood again. The portrayal of a woman's life is done with great care, and the story as a whole is amazingly complex. The novel-within-a-novel chapters have a very Dunsanian or even dreamy Lovecraftian feel.  It's my favourite Margaret Atwood novel, but I think it's a feminist novel at heart, and I don't know how much male readers would understand or enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:33:55 PM by Miel » Logged
cat_of_ulthar
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »

The Dresden Files. I'm on Small Favors.
Chris Lackey
Great Old One
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:18 AM »

Yeah... my guilty pleasure are 'The Dresden Files' books. You can read them in a day or two. Good fun.
Vireo
Blissfully Ignorant

vireonefer
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:31:56 AM »

Rereading Poe, specifically, the unabrigded Poe. i absolutely see his influence on HPL.
mcglothlin.13
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »

Reading The Beetle, by Richard Marsh and an interesting line of paperbacks called Hard Case Crime, a collection of reprinted and new noir literature.
BogartBumquest
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »

I just bought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at a garage sale for 50 cents. Also plan on rereading "The Day the Universe Changed" by James Burke very soon.
Padz
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »

Re-reading John Connolly's The Black Angel - not lovecraftian but creepy and tense the same, delightful atmosphere. But I really recommend starting from the beginning with his books though, which is Every Dead Thing. Alternatively read Bad Men - which is a stand alone book (although there are references to it in the latest books).

Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is insanity...
helios1014
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »

The Haunted Dollhouse, an M.R. James collection.

House on Haunted Hill

Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs,
Upon the slimy Sea.
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
cthuid
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »

On the nightstand....

Dust of Dreams-Steven Erikson.  Massive series, but I like them.

Democracy in America-Alexis de Tocqueville.  Not a page turner, but fascinating.  Especially when you realize that it is almost 200 years old.

Monster Hunter International-Larry Correia.  Extremely light reading that I got when my wife was done with it. Vampires and werewolves at the start, but at about page 200 two of the main characters are in a van, heavily armed (including a flamethrower) about to enter an asylum to interview a madman.  I had a CoC RPG moment.
fishy
Unhinged

Esoteric Order of Dagon: Norwegian Chapter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »

Alexei Monroe: Interrogation Machine - Laibach and NSK

Anne Rivers Siddons: The House Next Door

I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »

I'm reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, it's a great a novel of political intrigue but set against a fantasy backdrop similar to Hyboria (REH's fantasy world). It's been a LONG time since I have read a fantasy novel where I actually cared about the main characters and become emotionally invested in them...

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »

I've just recently discovered Terry Pratchett, and have been making up for lost time. In the past month and a half I've read Wyrd Sisters (twice, once by myself and once aloud to my wife), The Fifth Elephant (likewise), Going Postal (once and some change), and his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, Good Omens (twice alone, once aloud to my wife, working on number four).  I'm also working on Small Gods, which I haven't finished yet.

helios1014
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »

Robert E. Howard wrote some really cool horror stories, some of which were mythos tales. The Solomon Kane tales are also a good read. I still need to get to the Conan stories...

Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs,
Upon the slimy Sea.
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: