H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 21, 2014, 08:29:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite Lovecraft monster  (Read 25166 times)
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »

Holy crap, how the hell do we not already have a thread about this?

Lovecraft is known for his monsters. I daresay that upwards of 100% of us first got into H.P. Lovecraft because of the cool monsters.

So what's your favorite?

EDIT: for the purposes of this thread, the Great Old Ones and their kin all fall under the umbrella term "monsters." Yog-Sothoth may be a transcendent godlike being who is at one with all space and time, but he's also a freak-ass monster and I shall not hesitate to refer to him as such.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:00:43 PM by Genus Unknown » Logged

Kaelestes
Cultist
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »

It's kind of a toss up for me. Yog Sothoth and Azathoth are both as vague and sinister as I could ever hope for in an unspeakable evil. I prefer Yog Sothoth a bit more simply because it's more calculating. It isn't waxing catatonic and psychotic in the center of the universe.

As far as tangeable monsters, I love the Shoggoths. Their inconstant form makes me think of John Carpenter's The Thing, only much bigger and faster. Kind of like Tetsuo at the end of Akira. Makes me wonder if Katsuhiro Otomo was a Lovecraft fan.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:06:40 PM by Kaeles » Logged

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
Dionysius8421
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »

The Outsider. He's the only monster fromLovecraft one can actually relate to.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »

Oh, I don't know about that. Particularly as a teenager, but continuing today, I have a certain affinitiy for the Deep Ones. They're hideous monsters that just want to hook up with human women. I can definitely relate to that.  Cheesy

Cloven Sunfish
Blissfully Ignorant

hepromantic
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

The creatures described in "The Festival" are probably the most repulsive to me because they "flop" and the description just seems chimerical and hideous in unexpected ways.

Still, the Deep Ones are probably the most revolting but not because of their appearance. I mean, look at this awesome work Will Martinez did for that Lovecraftian creature lab contest:

...and then realize that somebody banged that. Ugh! Revolting!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:48:15 PM by Kaeles » Logged
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »

For me: the German U-Boat Captain from The Temple. That psychopath was frightening, especially since guys like him were REAL!

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »

Which is my favourite monster?  That's a tough one!  I think possibly I would say The Deep Ones, but it would probably be by a narrow margin.  Perhaps I like them best because even in their revolting fish-frog likeness, I can still tell they are fish-men, whereas something like one of the Elder Things of Antarctica is just unlike anything I'd seen or heard of before in fiction - and as for the Mi-Go - they're just nuts!
Majin Bruce
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »

I don't know if someone banged that or if someone was banged by that.  At first, at least.  I imagine the first-generation of leaders in the Innsmouth cult operated much like terrorists who use suicide bombers, in a respect; not willing to engage in the activity themselves but more than willing to have others do it for them.  They would not breed with the Deep Ones but would give their wives, daughters, sisters to them.  Though, it's been (ten?) years since I've read "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and seem to vaguely recall that Marsh brought back a wife from Polynesia that wasn't quite right; I'm thinking if he did, he went for the hottest (relatively) young native girl who was the least changed.

As for my favorite monsters, I like the Deep Ones, Mi-Go and Keziah Mason.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:52 AM »

You'll recall that in the story, the Innsmouth people are described as drinking to excess. All they do is drink and go to church. And now we know why.

Kaelestes
Cultist
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »

Beer goggles are a wondrous thing.

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
Boneworm
Shaken

Like a Gingerbread Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »

Everyone seems to be digging the Deep Ones!  They're a great bunch, very identifiable as cultural outsiders and an interesting example of a different sentient species sharing space with an unwitting humanity.

For sheer alien horror, you can't beat Wilbur Whateley's big brother and the Colour.
TransconaSlim
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »

when I was a kid, my favorite Lovecraft monsters where the swarthy white apes in The Facts Concerning Aurthur Germyn.  For some reason they really gave me the creeps!  Of course, now I see that story is pretty silly in and of itself.

A Prairie Horror Companion: http://prairiehorror.blogspot.com/
Winnipeg Wobbly Blog: http://winnipegwobbly.blogspot.com/
...And Live in Harmony with the Earth Blog: http://ecowobbly.blogspot.com/
fishy
Unhinged

Esoteric Order of Dagon: Norwegian Chapter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »

You'll recall that in the story, the Innsmouth people are described as drinking to excess. All they do is drink and go to church. And now we know why.

I guess you use the word "church" loosely ?
And all of Innsmouth are not like Zadok i guess...now THERE is a good reason to stay drunk all the time.
All alone sane in a village full of cultists...

And to back to topic: my favorite beastie is Nyarlathotep, since it is creepier with an entity that have INTENT in addition to being "just" extremely powerful, uncaring and crushing everything in its path (not that it is anything wrong with that...just scary in a different way). And after redaing "The Fall of Cthulhu", in my eyes he even got a personality. Sick and twisted, yes. But a personality none the less.

And about the "banging" part. I guess that since The Deep Ones are so much more advanced than us they do not have to physically "bang" the women. If they can procreate/reproduce over racebarriers, it would be a small thing to do so without that "banging" part. But then again, they might find great joy in defiling human females. Horrible subject...brrr.

I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »

I'm so revoltingly ugly that the only way I can hope to get any at all is by going to Innsmouth and pretending to be a Deep One.   Smiley
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »

I guess you use the word "church" loosely ?

Not as loosely as you may think, but my opinions on organized religion are neither here nor there.  Grin

And all of Innsmouth are not like Zadok i guess...now THERE is a good reason to stay drunk all the time.

Ahem...

As for the Innsmouth people—the youth hardly knew what to make of them. They were as furtive and seldom seen as animals that live in burrows, and one could hardly imagine how they passed the time apart from their desultory fishing. Perhaps—judging from the quantities of bootleg liquor they consumed—they lay for most of the daylight hours in an alcoholic stupor. They seemed sullenly banded together in some sort of fellowship and understanding—despising the world as if they had access to other and preferable spheres of entity. Their appearance—especially those staring, unwinking eyes which one never saw shut—was certainly shocking enough; and their voices were disgusting. It was awful to hear them chanting in their churches at night, and especially during their main festivals or revivals, which fell twice a year on April 30th and October 31st.

So they're all drunks, not just Zadok. And it is my theory that they drink so they can get squishy with some frog-monsters.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:51:26 AM by Genus Unknown » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: