Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Member Introductions
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 10:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Member Introductions  (Read 205027 times)
fishy
Unhinged

Esoteric Order of Dagon: Norwegian Chapter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »

Now, where did i put that Essential Salt....? Oh no, not on the dining room table ! Damn...

I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
Genus Unknown
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »

I was discovered by the United States government in 1985, roaming the woods and fields north Alabama and terrifying the locals. After many months of testing, they completely failed to determine my species, or even to find another creature with which to compare my bizarre physiological features. I showed signs of intelligence though, and was started on an extensive experimental education course so that I might learn English and communicate with my captors/caretakers. The eventual aim was to get me talking about myself and clear up some of the questions the scientists had about me.

They were sorely disappointed on that score. I don't remember being born, after all. But a couple of the nerdier team members - and in an elite underground scientific research facility, that's really saying something - took a liking to me, and would sneak down to my holding tank on their lunch break for conversation and the like. I think they were fascinated by the idea of getting a non-human intelligence's take on the everyday human things that they were so familiar with. They would show me the comic books they were reading, or play music. Once in a while, they would even arrange to have a television and VCR set up to show me Star Wars and Godzilla movies.  I liked these guys much better than the higher ranking scientsits, who were mainly interested in seeing how quickly my various appendages grow back after they've been amputated. So I immersed myself in the "nerd culture," learning English from comic books and H.P. Lovecraft stories, until one day when I escaped and... well, that's a story for another day.

DARKPASSENGER
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »

Hello to you all out there!
Greetings from the cold Norway Grin
Snowy Eel
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »

My name is Snowy Eel. As you guessed, I am a snowflake eel, hatched in the dark depths of a lunar-accursed lake in frozen Lomar. Now I'm staying in a comfortable 200 gallon tank in a swanky condo here in Las Vegas ("What shambleth in the dark in Vegas stays in Vegas").

I've been learning stupid human language and reading this goofball Eich-Pe-El, and I've noticed a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies. Still, he's about as good a guide to the Dream Worlds as you puny cool air breathers are likely to get (or deserve), so I give him two fins up!

ShaneMcGovern
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Hello,

A fan of weird fiction and reader of Lovecraft (amongst others), I am based out of the gorgeous college town Eugene, Oregon (US). Apart from the general day-to-day of working, family et., cetera., I'm rather partial to sitting down with clever, funny people and playing Small World, Pandemic, Arkham Horror and the like (wonderful board games to a meeple). I then spending my spare 23 minutes a day resurrecting the University of Oregon Gaming Club from the essential salts of it's past incarnation in 2003 (or confirming my humanity on forums). If you're in the area do e-mail me.

I am not a bot.

Yours,
<<INSERT_NAME_FROM_EXCEL>>

Shane McGovern

Near Eugene, Oregon, USA? Why not join the University of Oregon Gaming Club for your Lovecraftian & general gaming needs? The only Nameless Horror here is not having anyone to play with.
autorawr
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »

Hello, I'm a long-time listener (naturally) new to the forums. By "long-time," I mean that I listened to your analysis Dream Quest first and then went through every episode you have ever put on, culminating in the upcoming Dunwich Horror, which I just finished reading.

The first H.P. Lovecraft story that I ever read was the Alchemist and I absolutely hated it. The next story I read was Rats in the Walls and that is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, along with The Call and Colour. I have been a fan of Lovecraft ever since, even though I consistently complain about his archaic language, I believe that he makes up part of the bedrock of modern horror writers.

Also, he is the only horror author (sorry, King) to have ever actually scared me.

So, yeah, that's me in a nutshell. I still have to listen to Leman's The Haunter of the Dark, but I'll get to that sooner or later. Other than that, bring on Dunwich!
daveydawg
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »

Greetings and Salutations.  My name is Dave and I am a professor of art in the California State University system.  My first introduction to Lovecraft came in an undergrad literature class on the horror novel.  We were required to read The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and that was all it took to become a Lovecraft fanatic.  I think I would have even been a fan earlier save for the horrible cover art on many of his books, but I digress. 

The podcast is awesome and probably one of the things I have most looked forward to over the past couple of years.  I also really enjoyed the YouTube clips of The Investigators. 

Nigel66
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »

Well, I`m new here.  

Although I`ve had the Gollancz, "Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H. P. Lovecraft" on my shelf for well over a year all it`s done is collect dust.  I`d always meant to explore Lovecraft`s work (since reading the "Call of Cthulhu" RPG adventures that appeared in "White Dwarf" magazine between 1980 and 1982 when I was playing D&D) and the hardback faux-leather bound commemorative edition was too good to pass up.  I bought it along with the Conan volume Gollancz bought out and figured I`d get round to it - which, over this holiday period, I now have.

I was aware that there are several Randolph Carter stories and figured, since I wished to read them in order, I`d need guidance.  That search has led me here.  I am now in the process of reading the stories and then listening to the episodes.  (The "Dagonbytes" site mentioned at the end of "The Tomb" episode has proven very useful).  I am now up to your episode 13 - "The Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and his Family".  Having heard of many of these stories and now reading them for the first time - in the podcasts chronological order - I have become hopelessly hooked and would like to thank Chris, Chad, the readers and guests for putting it together.

I have noticed that there is a thread pondering what the future (if any) of the podcast will be once Lovecrafts work has all been covered.  Personally I would be happy to be guided in similiar fashion to the works of authors that influenced Lovecraft: Poe, Dunsany, etc.  I`d also welcome documentary style episodes on how things were taken Mythos-wise by others, especially Robert E. Howard.

Many thanks for the output so far.  I am "on board" for the rest.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:11:53 AM by Nigel66 » Logged
boysmithers
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »

Hello, my name is Ed. I work in a library, unfortunately we do not have a copy of The Necronomicom but we do have The Golden Bough. I first read Lovecraft about 10 years ago, I read about him in an essay written by Stephen King (I guess it was King's version of "Supernatural Horror in Literature") and thought that he (HPL) sounded like the best writer ever! This was in about 1997 (i.e. pre-being-able-to-buy-everything-on-the-internet) and there were no good bookshops near me. It wasn't until 4 years later that I found one of his books and discovered that he WAS the best writer ever! The first story I read was AtMoM and I loved it and went out and bought the other two volumes straight away! In the last year my interest in Lovecraft has massively increased due to this podcast and the yog-sothoth.com one.
Genus Unknown
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 10:07:28 PM »

Wow, At the Mountains of Madness was your first-ever Lovecraft story? Talk about diving right into the deep end...

boysmithers
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »

Wow, At the Mountains of Madness was your first-ever Lovecraft story? Talk about diving right into the deep end...
I know! Luckily I loved it!
Pickman's Melody
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »

Hi, there. Long-time listener, ne'er a forum poster. I think I even had a lurker account that got deleted for bot protection.

Bio: 30, F, new grad student in Library and Information Science at the University of Iowa. Have a journalism background in writing and editing. Think I've been to Moline for a shotgun wedding at a Holiday Inn...also for several flights out of Iowa.

Ties to Lovecraft? My first boyfriend constructed shrines to Edgar Allen Poe and the Necronomicon. He was a very talented illustrator of horror comics (at 15), in metal bands, and now I believe is working as a tattoo artist post-art school. Started listening to the podcast after finding an animated short on From Beyond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZyYvb-GD8) while looking for horror-related items for potential blog posts in October 2009. Now my favorite board game is Arkham Horror, and my bf got me the commemorative edition of Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft for my birthday.

Love the podcast in and out, especially the dramatizations and deconstructions y'all give.

--
i blahg nao, k? http://melodydworak.com
@funkmelodious
Kaelestes
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »

Hi, my name is Kaeles.

I'm a writer of things and stuff.

I like juice and thick wool socks, but take great offense to noisy street lamps when I'm drunk.

During the late 90's I made the unfortunate mistake of taking Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal essay too seriously, and spent what would have been a perfectly lovely vacation in Ireland desperately scrambling to charter a boat to escape local authorities.

Last year I figured out how much wood a woodchuck could chuck, and was promptly attacked by a beaver.

When I'm feeling particularly peckish, I choose Blammo brand Log products.

I actually dislike Lovecraft because he stole all of the brilliant ideas I came up with in my youth. Learned individuals will hold that he couldn't have done anything of the sort because he died some 44 years before I was born, but I counter with Yog Sothoth. Match point.

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
ahtzib
Shaken

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »

Jeb Card
Background in Mesoamerican/Maya and Spanish colonial archaeology. Woefully underemployed in the field at the present time, spending my spare time putting together research publication obligations from past work while I try to make ends meet. Though I did do some protohistoric excavation in Tennessee this summer.

Like many people after 1981, was introduced to Lovecraft via the game Call of Cthulhu, became moderately obsessed with Lovecraft's creations from my teens on. However, since late 2007 or so, have dramatically increased this interest as I've started doing some more detailed research and thinking about Lovecraft. As a side project to this, I write the blog Miskatonic Museum. Roughly every two weeks I post an item there generally relating some real world object, event, or phenomenon to the Cthulhu Mythos, usually with a historical or scientific bent. I also have been the author of Cthulhu Cthursday on http://www.ectomo.com/ since the middle of 2010 or so, where we usually go with somewhat more light-hearted (such as "The Investigators" shorts which also fit another tradition at Ectomo, Saturday Morning Cartoons) or outre aspects of Cthulhu and friends in our culture, though this week's entry was more like my Miskatonic Museum material.

As for the podcast, I think it is extremely impressive with only one or two clunker episodes that are nonetheless far better than most of what is out there podcast-wise. The "The Call of Cthulhu" episodes were a triumph. I will also throw a general heap o praise out to the various HPLHS projects that our podcast hosts, guests, and readers have helped create past and present (the idea of Andrew Lehman playing Charles Fort is so awesome it is difficult to articulate).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:28:49 PM by ahtzib » Logged

Pickman's Melody
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »

Background in Mesoamerican/Maya and Spanish colonial archaeology.

That's so Lovecraftian, Mr. Card. Have you ever played Monterey Jack in Arkham Horror? http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Monterey_Jack

Makes me wonder how many of our professions/fields are represented in his works/spinoffs.

--
i blahg nao, k? http://melodydworak.com
@funkmelodious
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: