Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Member Introductions
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 11:27:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Member Introductions  (Read 205047 times)
ahtzib
Shaken

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »

I always prefer the researcher, her special ability (the reroll) is very useful. Besides, we've been trained to wince at Indiana Jones pastiches.

Archaeologist fans of HPL have become something of a cliche. I was listening to one of the Yog Sothoth audio games, not sure which, and there was a joking aside about how cliched and stereotypical it was that the game group was made up of three married archaeologist couples. I would imagine a similar pattern with at least some librarians, as well as the practiced aversion re: Giles from Buffy.

LOBSTER
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 03:13:40 AM »

Am I glad to be here! I just swam in and boy are my tentacles tired.

Sorry, had to.

First post in the forums. Been an avid listener for several months. Long story (read: no longer doing drugs), and the Podcast has been my sleeping pill each and every night for lo these many, many weeks now. You two, no, you two... funny. Funny like a clown. Just wanted to poke my nose into the community here. Seriously, fantastic Podcast. I would, however, love to hear more full stories (not that the sound of both your soothing and sensual voices doesn't get my blubbery skin all a'boil, it's just that... well you know. And it seems like you are gifting us with more. Blackmail aside, we thank you!

Keep up the good work. I dabble in the visual arts (not unlike some olden day arteests who lived to record the amorphous and the awful), in fact, just this evening I was listening to "...Charles Dexter Ward" and sketched several Lovecraftian oddities. Is there a place on the site here that I can post those for you guys to see?

Oh puh-leez let me hang out with you kids?

Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »

I don't know if/when I did a proper introduction because I've been on these forums for a while, just off them for a long while until this winter.

Hi, I'm Ruth. I'm a 25-year-old library student (part-time) living and working (full-time) in the great sunken city of DC. I started reading Lovecraft in 09, just a few weeks after you guys started the podcast, though it took me a little longer to find it. The podcast was very helpful in getting me through the stories I wasn't interested in reading. And some of them, it helped me enjoy more than I would've on my own. I started reading Lovecraft because I was on a Gaiman kick and wanted to understand what he was talking about.

Lovecraft makes me want to work in archives, but we'll see. It's something I'm exploring in my degree program but I'm also pretty good at tech stuff, which may be the direction I take.

Besides working and going to school, I like to craft. And since reading Lovecraft I've been on a Cthulhu-making binge. It's fun, it's good therapy for coping with losing my mother this summer, and it's where my username comes from. Smiley You can find me on twitter as @cthulhuchick or on my blogs at beingruth.com (personal blog), cthulhuchick.com which has pics of Cthulhus, Cthulhu information, etc.

chaosound
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »

hi im Ern
love the books, love the film, love the podcast
k
Unruhe
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »

Hello everyone. My name is Mark. I enjoy the Podcast very much. Interested in discussing all things Lovecraftian.

I live in Colorado. Married. Four kids. I write a little. I play guitar.

Favorite Lovecraft stories are, Shadow Over Innsmouth, Strange High House In The Mist, The Tomb, The Terrible Old Man.

Nihil profĂ­ciat inimĂ­cus in nobis.
redcobalt60
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »

Hey all, greetings peeples! I'm from Texas, a big fan of HPL.  I owe a lot of my interest in Lovecraft to the HP Podcraft, and mainly to Chad and Chris. I stumbled onto the podcast sometime ago, and have really gotten into HPL.  With the  podcast,  I learned a lot more than I had thought possible...so I really want to say a big, whopping tentacular thank you to Chad and Chris...you 2 have a great podcast!
    I have had an interest in Lovecraft ever since I first saw Re-Animator at the flicks. That piqued my interest, and started me down the stygian like abyss and darkened hallways of Lovecraft's imagination.  I have a habit of building stuff, from time to time...like props, and one o dese days I should try my hand at building a Necronomicon prop...would look spiff on the coffee table...in a case...under a stout lock......
    So thanks again to all for a great podcast, and a great forum.  Glad to be here!

Mike

"It's better to have it and not need it...than need it and not have it."
The Dali Trauma
Blissfully Ignorant

TheDaliTrauma psybientialism
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »

Greetings. I was first introduced to HP Lovecraft as a kid in the early 1980s when I found the Cthulhu Mythos chapter in the old D&D handbook - "Deities and Demigods"
I was fascinated by these horrible and wonderful creations, so I searched and searched the library stacks for anything by HP Lovecraft, but my local library only had a handful of titles and they had all been stolen or turned up missing.  It wasn't until one summer, when I was 13 or 14 when I found a used paperback of The Dunwich Horror and Others and spent the entire summer reading and re-reading it.  What initially attracted me was how utterly weird everything about these stories were.  Even the way he wrote was creepy.
Since then, I have been quite a fan of HP Lovecraft and the mythos and media that his work inspired.  This wonderful podcast has reacquainted me with this body of work and I hope to meet some other fans.

"When a black mountain appears above the clouds, a monster will arive and try to destroy the world. But when the red moon sets and the sun rises in the west, two monsters will appear to save the people."
wes_sale
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »

I guess any old information I had online got eaten by the shoggoths;  anyway I'm back now.

Been warping my brain out of normal eucledian shape something fierce;  with the podcasts and yog radio and one of these days I will manifest on HPLHS with a bunch of money and make them happy.

Was reading comments on first episode of Dunwich Horror and remembered someone asking about the old movie that Roger Corman produced - on the podcast.

I'll see if I can put something up on Pirate Bay.

<Time Passes>

The Pirate Bay insists I have an account but cann't get any info on it - All of the Dunwich Horrors on there appear to be the recent version.  I will endeaver to have a copy of the 1970 version materialise in awhile.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:25:30 PM by wes_sale » Logged
bible-bot
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »

The podcast has definitely reduced the level of the daily torture of the commonplace for me--thank you!

And no, despite the nickname, I am not a bot, but I am a biblio--the Charles Warren Bibliographer for American History for Widener Library, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. I'm not the keeper of Harvard's Necronomicon, but I know who is . . .
ArkhamsRazor
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »

Just as the narrator is uncertain as to whether or not he is insane at the end of "Herbert West", I am unclear on whether I'm a nasty bot or not.  Hopefully this post will clarify things.

Just awesome to find such an incredible podcast on Lovecraft, one of my favorite writers since I first read him thirty years ago.  I don't personally know anyone else into HPL so discovering this little cult niche on the internet makes my life alittle richer.  I enjoy reading what other fans post here.  Keep up the great work guys and gals!
canadiancthulhu
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »

Greetings from the Deep South!
My name is Shaun and I live in the state of Alabama and have been into the works of Mr Lovecraft and his contemporaries for years.  I was formally introduced to the stories by my friend Scott Connor, who is something of a expert on Clark Ashton Smith.  Since then I have read many new things by current writers inspired by the Mythos and have enjoyed playing the Call of Cthulhu RPG.  In fact next week, I am taking up the Keeper's screen and going to give it a go running a game.
I enjoy the podcast and hope that it goes on for years.

TimX13
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »

Hey, I'm Tim. I've been an HPL fan for pretty much my entire life...well, since 1987 at least. Yes, that's right, I got my first taste of Lovecraft in an episode of The Real Ghostbusters, and I've been on a sanity blasting tour of terror ever since.

GREAT podcast! You guys are covering stories that I probably never would have read--most of the rewrites and collaborations--I can't WAIT to say that I've read ALL of Lovecraft's stories (heh heh heh), because of your podcast.

It's also the ONLY literary podcast that makes me laugh so hard that I have to hide in a corner while I'm at work or else people will think I'm some kind of...laughing...maniac...?
Genus Unknown
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »

Greetings from the Deep South!
My name is Shaun and I live in the state of Alabama...

Hey, I'm from Alabama too!

But then why is your username canadiancthulhu?

canadiancthulhu
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »

Originally from Canada, Hamilton Ontario to be exact, but lives in Bama these days.  I live not far from the Shoals area.
Esperacchius
Blissfully Ignorant

"I put the 'ick' in magic." ~Harry Dresden

laicalma7
View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »

Hi all!  New to the forums here!  Haven't even lurked really.  Been downloading episodes of the podcast since the beginning, but only recently had time to start listening! Crazy, right?  Well now that I'm almost caught up, I thought I'd join on, see what I was missing!!  (and btw, yes, that is me in my avatar.  Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden)

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: