H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
September 20, 2017, 02:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Episode 38 - The Horror at Red Hook  (Read 11543 times)
Chris Lackey
Great Old One
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:00:29 AM »

A crappy story. If you synopsize the story, it actually sounds like it would be pretty cool. Just not well written.
Brother Voodoo
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »

Agreed. I think it's stories like this that helped foster the negative views of Lovercraft's other work.
It's hard to sell the guy as a legit and talented writer when he pens such obviously amatuerish
stuff as Red Hook. I tend to view Lovecraft like a lot of self-taught, and highly succesful comic
artists I know. They can really crank out some great stuff, but because they didn't receive any
formal instruction, they sometimes lack fundamentals and it peaks out now and again in their work.
Lovecraft might have made it into mainstream literary acceptence sooner, rather than later, if
he had cleaned up some of his work. We may never know. But at least he made it, and we can
read the works we enjoy, and leave those less noteworthy to the pile of literary mediocrity and
erstwhile Literary podcast critics. Wink
Q

"...any man who touches me will quickly be greeting his ancestors in hell!" - Conan the Cimmerian
ryantherebel
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »

It might be Lovecraft's weakest story. I had no idea what was going on a quarter of the time.
fishy
Unhinged

Esoteric Order of Dagon: Norwegian Chapter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »

I like it, and i wonder how many would have liked it if it did not have those "non pc" passages ?
Absolutely not one of HPs worst work if you ask me. I guess the HPL-community would like to flog me for thinking that it is much better than for example "The Outsider".

But hey, that is me Smiley  Cool

I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
ryantherebel
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

I like it, and i wonder how many would have liked it if it did not have those "non pc" passages ?
Absolutely not one of HPs worst work if you ask me. I guess the HPL-community would like to flog me for thinking that it is much better than for example "The Outsider".

No, it wouldn't have made any difference without the racist passages. As Lovecraft put it himself it's "rather long and rambling, and I don't think it is very good."
fishy
Unhinged

Esoteric Order of Dagon: Norwegian Chapter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »

No, it wouldn't have made any difference without the racist passages. As Lovecraft put it himself it's "rather long and rambling, and I don't think it is very good."

I would not have put too much into what ol HPL said..as he had a habit of downgrading most of his own work. Even when trying to sell/publish it....

I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
ryantherebel
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »

I would not have put too much into what ol HPL said..as he had a habit of downgrading most of his own work. Even when trying to sell/publish it....
I know, but I agree with him this time.
dadavoodoo
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »

I was try to do a screen play of this one. I gave up on it! Not because it's a bad story. I was try to show how N.Y.C was full of racism at the time. I just could not do it with out sounding like I might be one my self! Still the story is full of great little bits of horror!
bar1scorpio
Unhinged

bar1scorpio@hotmail.com bar1scorpio bar1scorpio
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »

There were bits I liked about it, but there weren't nearly enough dames for it to be a hardbioled story, nor did the hero, Malone, actually do much.  You could adapt it, but it'd need major revisions.  The notations in the Library of America version actually has some really interesting notes about who and what he was writing about in this one, beyond what the hosts discussed.

But yeah, needed more cat & mouse between Malone and Suydam, and some more female flesh in there (mebbe Lillith in human form as Suydam's 'secretary'?)

"Then again, I'm Gary Busey, who knows what the f*** I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »

God, I would love to write that story if I thought I could do it justice.

Jason S
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

Great villian, though. 

He would often regard it as merciful that most persons of high Intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries; for, he argued, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threaten the very integrity of the universe.

I would have almost rather had the story told from Robert Suydam's point of view.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »

bar1scorpio: Know who could have done the story you suggested? Robert E. Howard.  If Bob Howard had written "Red Hook" instead of HPL, it would almost certainly have rocked.

bar1scorpio
Unhinged

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »

I think part of that is just - Police work is something well out of HPL's realm of expertise, or interest.  And the style of summation, kinda condenses so much what must have been interaction.

"Then again, I'm Gary Busey, who knows what the f*** I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
helios1014
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:48 PM »

The problem is most of his characters are Marry Sue's

Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs,
Upon the slimy Sea.
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
bar1scorpio
Unhinged

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »

Well, Author Avatars, at least.  But far too timorous, irresolute, and dyspeptic to be Mary Sues.  (Marry Sues?  Does that involve weddings?)  She seem to be only callow witnesses to the horrors beyond.  In stories where the good guys win, characters like Prof. Armitage seems to be the kind of person he looks up to, not the person he is.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: