H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
April 20, 2014, 04:55:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Episode 29 / Reading 7 -- The Hound  (Read 5104 times)
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »

The reading is out, y'all. And Anthony Tedesco pronounces "St. John" correctly!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:00:59 AM by Genus Unknown » Logged

osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

The reading is out, y'all. And Anthony Tedesco pronounces "St. John" correctly!

Who is that a dig on?

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

Nobody. It's just that they pronounced it "Saint John" last time, and then had to correct it on the next episode. The "correct" pronunciation is kind of odd, so it's noteworthy that it was used in the reading.

Edit: fixed typos
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:13:01 PM by Genus Unknown » Logged

catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »

Great reading! I forgot about the line in regards to the Dutch Language! I was outside running while listening to the story and almost stumbled off the trail due to laughing so hard.

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

There is some discussion about Lovecraft having no real male friends in life, but of course he did, all through life.  He had his boyhood chums with whom he built a magnificent tree-house and formed a marching band and a detective agency, and who remained friends in adulthood.  And as a result of his participation in apas he formed many strong male friendships, and then as a Weird Tales writer he formed even other male bondings, either through correspondence of face-to-face meetings.  Loveman was a buddy of long standing who took him to countless gay parties, and near the end of his life HPL formed a very strong bond with Bobby Barlow, which led him to name Barlow as his literary executor.  Lovecraft would have had to have been remarkably naive not to realise that Loveman was queer.

In one of his letters, Lovecraft makes a joke about Loveman overthinking phallic symbolism. So...I think he knew.

Loved the recording, t'was a very good reading. And a chance to introduce the story to my husband without having to read it aloud to him. So double-points for timing.

Inner Prop
Unhinged

I've seen things you wouldn't imagine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »

I had been listening to so many back "issues" that I kept expecting Chris and Chad to break in with comments.  I don't remember thinking like that for the other readings.  Was there something about the way this one was produced or am I going mad?
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »

As much as I generally enjoy the full-audio readings, I think this one was a bit of a disappointment, not because of the audio quality or anything like that, but the William Shatneresque cadence of the reading. The entire read, but especially the first third of the production, was just kind of jaring and stuttering. I know what the Anthony Tedesco was going for, the stuttering retelling by a man scared stiff and unhinged, but it just kind of tickled at my ear as I listened to it and kept me a little distracted. Overall, I would rate this one a C+/B- but only because of the aural itch.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Vulpine
Unhinged

420925126 vulpine137 vulpine137
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »

I'll freely admit to thinking to myself 'What the hell is a sinjin...' before remembering Genus Unknown's comment about saying it correctly.  Was a fun listen, and it made having to install ethernet cable in a network closet much more fun.

"We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever."
Yojimbo
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »

I don't think I realized just how over-the-top and hilarious this story was until I listened to it read out-loud. The whole necrophiliac Bat Cave thing is so ridiculous.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »

Necrophiliac Bat-Cave... Anyone for an awesome metal band name?

Bob

Vulpine
Unhinged

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »

I want a Bat Cave (Squid-Dragon-Human Cave ?).  I'll pass on the necrophilia though.

"We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever."
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »

Oh sure, pass up the fun part of the heavy metal experience.

Bob

Vulpine
Unhinged

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »

Oh sure, pass up the fun part of the heavy metal experience.

Bob

*laugh*  That's one part of the metal experience I've missed all these years, well since I stopped listening to Slayer live bootlegs.

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

Just remember, dead girls don't say "no".

Bob

Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »

Just remember, dead girls don't say "no".

Bob

I was just reading The Empire of the Necromancers by CAS. .... >_<

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: