H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 23, 2017, 07:43:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Artist's Thread!  (Read 83072 times)
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »

hello there Lovecraftian lovers!

It has come to my attention that there is very few / no threads for us artists.

I'm an art student from scotland and I find Lovecraft themed art quite hard to come across so if you have anything you would like to share, post it here!!

It can be Inspired by lovecraft, one of his mythos or be one of your own creations if its just plain creepy Smiley

I'd love to see other peoples work, heres one of my own to start us off. ( I cant really upload more than one at a time due to the tinnnnny attathment size limit :c )

Nvision
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »

Good stuff!  I really like the ambiguity of the image, as most of the details fade into the blackness.  Pushing some highlights might really emphasize the chiaroscuro of the piece.  I'd love to see more.

This is a work in progress, but I much prefer getting feedback while things are in flux and too much detail's been put down.  I'm trying to recreate what I think Pickman's last unfinished canvas looked like.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:07:20 PM by Nvision » Logged
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »

WOW thats ammmaazziing!

When i read the Pickmans model this is not what i imagined but this is better than my imagination

i love the addition of the photograph, nice touch :3

here one i did a few seconds ago for shits and giggles.

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »

NVision,

I really like the piece, though I think it might be a bit backwards. I thought I remember the photograph being the image "in the wild" and the paiting featuring the the wall of the studio as the monster's backdrop. That having been said, I freaking love this picture. I've always disliked the older portrayals of Pickman's model. They just didn't seem real, generally they made the ghoul much larger than a human so that it could pick the victim up and "eat him like a popsicle." Since ghouls can be created from human stock, I always thought of them as much much human-sized and your picture certainly gets it right in my book.

Bear-shaped-ham,

I love that first picture you posted. It does, hoever, bear an uncanny resemblance to an ex-girlfriend of mine. Shudder...

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Ferox13
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:15:07 AM »

That ghoul picture is incredible.

Nvision
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, folks! 

Bob, I double-checked the story, but it seems it's okay.  The protagonist just sees the canvas with the dining ghoul, and he assumes the curling paper pinned to it is photo reference to fill in the background.  However, in classic Lovcraftian reveal: "It was the model he was using- and its background was merely the wall of the cellar studio in minute detail. But by God, Eliot, it was a photograph from life! "  The idea that humans can become ghouls, referenced in the paintings of them training children, and in other stories like The Outsider was what really pushed my design on this.  I totally agree about other depictions being much too large, and I didn't want to go with simply transplanting a dog's head onto a human torso, either.  The change might extend beyond this, though, and could be good fodder for another painting ("(De)Evolution of a Ghoul," perhaps?).

Bear-shaped-ham, that is a very unsettling mount.  What rides on it?!  The extreme curvature in it's spine and neck is really cool, and would suggest a very grotesque form of movement.  Hiding details of the face behind the mask adds to the horror.  Great stuff!
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »

I totally agree about other depictions being much too large, and I didn't want to go with simply transplanting a dog's head onto a human torso, either.

I've always thought that was a lazy way to illustrate these creatures. I believe they are described as vaguely dog-like, which makes me think that a classic "wolf-man" look is far too doglike than what HPL meant. I can see some canine aspects certainly, something like posture, suggested movement, etc. is much creepier than a dog-headed boy.

And I think the mount up there may well be a degenerated human forced into a mask. At least that's what it makes me think of.

Bob

bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »

Thanks for all the awesome feedback everybody i really appriciate it! Smiley

Bear-shaped-ham, that is a very unsettling mount.  What rides on it?!  The extreme curvature in it's spine and neck is really cool, and would suggest a very grotesque form of movement.  Hiding details of the face behind the mask adds to the horror.  Great stuff!

Now i didnt really think about this whilst drawing it. Now im puzzling out whether the "rider" is small and the thing is human sized as its humanoid apprearance suggests, or the rider may be human sized (or larger) and the thing is quite huge.... i think the latter would be less appealing to run into.

Heres another terrible beast from my own imagination. Smiley

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:43:00 PM by bear-shaped-ham » Logged
Kaelestes
Cultist
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

Heres another terrible beast from my own imagination. Smiley

Oh my gawrsh! I heart!

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »

Death Moose? Shocked

Bob

bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »

Death Moose? Shocked

Bob

well yes, i got the image directly from Lovecrafts colaboration with disney in which Bambi mothers succumbs to a canibal cult of death mooseses

Anyways this picture is of "slenderman" which is a creature which has gained some popularity via the internets over the last few years. There is a vast amount of info and stories about him including a fabulous series on youtube called "Marbel Hornets" ... i really cannot recomend it enough i know people who are genuinely scared to walk outside in the dark because of Slenderman.

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »

well yes, i got the image directly from Lovecrafts colaboration with disney in which Bambi mothers succumbs to a canibal cult of death mooseses

LOL! You deserve a Cthulhu Point for that one.

Also, I have never heard of Slenderman before, but I LOVE the picture. After i finish posting, I am going to research him a bit. you have certainly gotten me interested.

Bob

Nvision
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »

The undead antlered camel is haunting my dreams!

Speaking of ruminants, instead of doing my work, I was suddenly inspired to rough out a painting of Wilbur Whateley studying "homework" in his room.  Here's the sketch!  Feel free to critique and let me know how I can make the final image even cooler...
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »

Oh wow did you do this just now? Either way its awesome! i love the eyebrow and the evil smile ... very creepy ^_^
TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »

These are all utterly inspiring. Dark, brooding and bizarre. As it should be. Do any of you license your works on stock photography sites (or elsewhere)?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: