Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Artist's Thread!
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 10:41:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Artist's Thread!  (Read 144533 times)
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »

i have an art website and a store but i warn you, i draw mostly adorable happy thing, it may ruin my rep as a horror artist

http://bear-shaped-ham.deviantart.com

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/bearshapedham <--- store

not sure i know what you mean by license your work tho :c
TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 06:58:28 AM »

By licensing I mean if you license the non-exclusive use of your works. I'm a fledgling indie game developer (*shudder* brave new waters are being traversed in my life) and I'm currently making a 3D multiplayer adventure game with a rather dark setting, natural considering my taste in literature. In this game I've got an art gallery in one of the episodes that currently has less than optimally dark paintings. If you were licensing your work then I could use them for the paintings and they'd fit like a glove with the theme of the game. I used the example of stock photography sites since that's where I license the majority of my 2D art assets.

It basically works like this; you put your individual images on a stock photography site (I've bought from fotolia in the past, but there's plenty out there), set a price (tends to be around €2-€15 per item, depending on the resolution), then anyone can license them from that site (which provides the legal barrage of licensing and indemnification required). If it had been exclusive licensing for €15 per image it'd be extremely unfavorable, but if 500 people were to license it for €15 you'd stand to make some dinero. As long as it's non-exclusive it will become an eternal source of income, as long as you live people will be able to license it. If you sell the exclusive rights to an image then you can only sell it only once, but at a higher price point, and you'd lose all rights associated with that image except the right to be credited by the new rights holder when he uses the image.

You could offer the licensing on your own site and not have to pay fotolia its cut, but without a third party indemnifying the buyer you'd have to sign and mail legal papers internationally. There's also the problem with taxes you'd have to handle yourself, but if that is preferable then simply include the cost of mail postage for the legalese in the licensing cost. Just figured I'd ask since I'd love to have any and all of the art listed in this thread in my game.

EDIT: Just an example. I browsed your deviantart page and, assuming you have the rights to all of the images (since some of them are photos and feature a person, which would require you to get that person's explicit permission in order to license the image commercially), there's at least half a dozen I'd be interested in. Maybe not all for this game but for future ones. There's always paintings, journals, diaries and whatnot in games that require 2D illustrations.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:02:35 AM by TFeldt » Logged
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »

wow thanks for the description! I might look into liscencing some of my work, it seems like a good idea ...

also good luck on the game making, i have a few friends who are in game production and i regularly find them in the fetal position because of their work...no pressure Smiley

on the other hand, heres another picture of the first demon looking thing i posted ... this time i painted it  :3

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »

Feel free to critique and let me know how I can make the final image even cooler...

The only thing I could think of (since this is a candid shot and not an action or horror shot) is that the pages of the Necronomicon look far too vanilla. Instead of a small illustration and text on the left page, how about a large full-page diagram? Or maybe some other lovecraftian image like the elder sign, though that might be a bit stereotypical. Either way, if you are able to finish this off, please put some blood stains on the pages.

Bob

P.S. - Bear-shaped-heart is an evil, evil person for getting me hooked on MarbleHornets...

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »

P.S. - Bear-shaped-heart is an evil, evil person for getting me hooked on MarbleHornets...

heheheheh told you it was epic, im crossing all my fingers that someone will produce a slenderman movie in my lifetime.
TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

wow thanks for the description! I might look into liscencing some of my work, it seems like a good idea ...

also good luck on the game making, i have a few friends who are in game production and i regularly find them in the fetal position because of their work...no pressure Smiley
No problem, and thank you.

If I may, if you do decide to license your work (or anyone else in this thread for that matter), then I ask you to email me at anders@tonfeldt.se. I'm quite serious about wanting to license your assets, my game isn't going to be ready until summer so there's no rush. Just drop me a line telling me what stock photography site you decided to go with (and a link to your illustrations on that site), or just drop me a mail if you want to sell me a non-exclusive license directly without a middle man.

If any of you want to sell it directly then please be prepared to print, sign and mail a generic license since I need indemnification in order to use the assets commercially. I've included a link to a generic non-exclusive art license here so you know what you'll need to print and sign (or something very similar). In addition to what he has in the license it's always best to paste the license into a word processor and then append the image at the bottom, that way there's no doubt which image the license belongs to. There's more extensive licenses than this one, but it's straightforward and features all the relevant points. I'll go with whatever license you choose of course.

http://stockart.drewwilson.com/license/

Now I'll shut up about this since this is supposed to be an art thread, not a "sell your images here" thread. This is me putting a sock in it.
TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »

Feel free to critique and let me know how I can make the final image even cooler...

The only thing I could think of (since this is a candid shot and not an action or horror shot) is that the pages of the Necronomicon look far too vanilla. Instead of a small illustration and text on the left page, how about a large full-page diagram? Or maybe some other lovecraftian image like the elder sign, though that might be a bit stereotypical. Either way, if you are able to finish this off, please put some blood stains on the pages.
I like the idea about a diagram, preferably some non-euclidian. I'd say no to the blood stains though, what about making the pages buckle outwards as if something is trying to break through the very fabric of the book? Break through into our world... from beyond(!)
Nvision
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 12:58:38 AM »

Colour composite done, and just about ready for final rendering.  I'll post the successive versions here to avoid bumping the thread, though.  I loved the idea of diagrams and shopped in some old Arabic mathematical manuscript pages.  I think they work rather well, but I'll have to distress them a little during the detailing.  Thanks for the suggestions!

TFeldt, I license images on occasion, but I don't use stock sites.  Most of the work I do is so incredibly niche I'd not be likely to make more than a couple of sales.  The majority of the work it do is a straight work-for-hire, with retention of moral rights.  I work in games, myself, and mostly indie, so I can sympathize with the uncertainty!  I actually just quit my regular, dependable contract gig in favour of a more risky project with a friend (aiming for IGF, this year, and hoping for good exposure).  I want to break into the RPG market, so I'm trying to build a suitable portfolio, though steady work and wrangling kids seriously limits my time for that.

Bear-shaped-ham, what media/brushes did you use for the texture work on the evil antlered thing?  The suggestion of coarse hair is fascinatingly real...
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 08:14:31 AM »

Very cool version NVision. Of course, I still like the idea of blood stains, but that's just bloody old me. Wink

Bob

bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 04:29:27 AM »

Bear-shaped-ham, what media/brushes did you use for the texture work on the evil antlered thing?  The suggestion of coarse hair is fascinatingly real...

i used dry water colours, they stick to the page really roughly and create really good contrast Smiley

also im McLovin you're art it's daaamned good, keep it up and post more if u have it :p
MelvillesFist
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 01:05:46 AM »

I'm a big comic book geek! That said, I collect original art from DC Comics, too. Listening to the podcast along with reading this thread spurred me to start a new Lovecraft sketchbook. If any of you folks would care to draw a sketch of Cthulhu, Yig, or any other beings from the mythos, please shoot me a message. I'd love to send you my sketchbook and get a sketch from you. I'd of course pay for shipping and any other cost you see fit.

Thanks!
bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »

I'm a big comic book geek! That said, I collect original art from DC Comics, too. Listening to the podcast along with reading this thread spurred me to start a new Lovecraft sketchbook. If any of you folks would care to draw a sketch of Cthulhu, Yig, or any other beings from the mythos, please shoot me a message. I'd love to send you my sketchbook and get a sketch from you. I'd of course pay for shipping and any other cost you see fit.

Thanks!

OH THIS IS COOL! I love sketchbooks too, infact i did the same thing as you and made a sketchbook in a very "call of cthulhu" style! Instead of cthulhu i used slenderman but it was sooo fun to make. I'll attach some pics of them.

unfornunately the images sizes are way too big to im going to have to gather them and post them as 2 posts

this is the outer shell of the sketchbook Smiley

bear-shaped-ham
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »

.... annnnd this is the sketchbook which is all tucked away on the inside

all handmade and stuff :3

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

Very, VERY cool, BSH.

Bob

Miskatonic Philologus
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »

bear-shaped-ham, those are really wonderful pictures you started the thread off with! Thanks for posting.

Ready now with those switches?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: