H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
September 22, 2017, 04:10:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bot Invasion  (Read 24742 times)
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »

It doesn't help that it's a(n) R'lyehan clock. Three of the hands move out and sideways, and the other -7 operate in one dimension. It's a pain in the ass.

Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »

Situation delt with. Continue on your merry way!

Where did that picture come from, Kaeles, it's awesome!
Kaelestes
Cultist
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »

Where did that picture come from, Kaeles, it's awesome!

I just did a Google search for Cthulhu Christmas. That was easily the best of what came up!

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »

I think the Old Gentleman from Providence would have enjoyed this for his holiday merriment as well:

http://shewalkssoftly.com/2010/12/20/werner-herzog-reads-twas-the-night-before-christmas/

Hey, kids! It's a Werner Herzog Christmas!

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »

I miss the bots. They always had such strange things to say between the mangled commercial names of pharmaceuticals. And I could always answer them in kind without fear of misunderstanding. I guess we can't turn back the hands of time though, and it's a good thing, because I'm not sure I'd pass the human test either.

Cool little cthulhu hanukkah graphic out there as well. Or maybe it says happy holidays?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:03:05 PM by old book » Logged

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 10:22:03 PM »

I miss the bots. They always had such strange things to say between the mangled commercial names of pharmaceuticals. And I could always answer them in kind without fear of misunderstanding. I guess we can't turn back the hands of time though, and it's a good thing, because I'm not sure I'd pass the human test either.

Cool little cthulhu hanukkah graphic out there as well. Or maybe it says happy holidays.

I'm not sure but what they weren't small, eldritch creatures, calling out to us in mystical tongues.

Or perhaps they were called up from ye essential psaltes and attempting to communicate in what they deduced must be the language of our time.

Either way, I'm glad Manndroid has put up the Elder Sign at the gates. Thanks! Smiley

fubarinpittsburgh
Unhinged

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »

I wonder if Saint Nick counts as an Old One or an Outer God...

I think he is Nodens half brother.

Chris Hutson
Blissfully Ignorant

may a moody baby doom a yam?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »

Posting in this old thread because it's not Lovecraft related but it is bot related.
So, sometimes if i'm on a forum, especially if i'm feeling ornery or full of beer,
and i encounter a good crop of bot spam which connects to what looks like an actual company,
I take a screenshot and email it to them with an admonition to knock it off, just to let them know that real humans have noticed and think it's not cool, on the off chance that it will convince whoever is responsible that it's not a good advertising technique.
I almost never hear back from any of them.
However, a few days ago, I saw a bunch of spam re: patio furniture on this forum and I did what I just described. I got a response from Joe at Contract Furnishings Intl., who seemed genuinely surprised to find out about it. He says he has no idea what is going on, but asked me to repost his response here to exonerate his company and let anyone who might be interested in wholesale outdoor furniture that he's not a spammer. Since he was nice enough to respond, I'm doing just that. Not sure what linkedin has to do with it, but here goes:

"Hi Christopher

When I received your message this morning, I was wondering what in the world I had said to irritate you so much. The last thing I want to do is to give my company a bad name, and I am extremely careful to make occasional, appropriate posts. I dislike Spam as much as you do (unless it’s fried and on a sandwich).

However, after looking at your attached copies of the Spam, I am pleased to report that I / we had nothing to do with this, and that it is indeed Spam. Unauthorized Spam. Now I want to know how deep the wormhole goes. There’s probably more of it.

*Isaac42001 has no affiliation with me or with Contract Furnishings International, Inc.

*We do not belong to any of the groups you noted and I did not visit any of those groups, nor did I make or authorize any of those posts.

*I do have several competitors on LinkedIn… it is possible one of them is trying to blackball me.

Please note the below article about copy cats and fraud on LinkedIn, the same as with any social media.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/18007-linkedin-money-scam.html

These postings you refer to are fraudulent, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention, and I thank you also for making a copy of these posts... that is great work on your part!  I have reported this to LinkedIn via their website Help Center, as noted below.

Thank you and best regards,

Joe Griffin

President

Contract Furnishings International, Inc."

Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »

Well that's just... really weird. So it's not just spam, it's fake spam?

wyrmis
Shaken

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »

One type of spam is essentially just markers. They post specific links and have particularly worded paragraphs (sometimes including nonsense elements for double identification), and then some webcrawler/etc goes back and scans the page at intervals. This can help them to find which sites they are getting through, and probably help them to get a read on how often their stuff gets pushed off the main page and etc. Maybe whoever is doing it is using other companies as markers just so that if steps were taken it would be naturally to take them against said companies.

If the mods can capture IPs and user data prior to deletion, might help to find out if this is coming from one place or some sort of botnet.

It is also possible that some of these companies did sign up for promotion and didn't realize that the people doing the promoting are going through such steps. Like those promoters that hire writers to go on forums, and then post legitimate sounding discussions about products, often in reply to their own alt-accounts, to convince search engines that people are actually talking about such things.

Doug Bolden
Si Vales, Valeo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: