H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:19:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: EPISODE 73 MEDUSA'S COIL  (Read 19547 times)
dadavoodoo
Shaken

View Profile Email
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »

I just got done reading this one. It has at first a bit of "The Picture in The House' but set in the south. (I kind of like that living in the south and N.O.) Then it goes on to have bits of what could be "The Thing on The Door Steep". I'm thinking that this is kind of interesting. I overlooking some of the race things going on. I think, "Why do people think this sucks, it's got all this bits of Lovecraft all over it, well it's not great but it's not bad." Than POW! The last line hits me! I thought "The Horror at Red Hook" was bad but this! I did over look some of the N. words in this because my Grand would say things like that but in the end....
I know that I have post this up before the show has gone out and hope it's a good one! I know Chad & Chris can pull it off!
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »

The cartoonish racism is the least of this story's problems. It's more boring than "The Last Test," more boring than "The Electric Executioner," and more boring than the last two-thirds of "The Mound." It's just boring, tedious, boring, and boring. The whole "evil hair" angle is stupid as f*ck, I don't care about any of the characters at all, and the supernaturalism in this story is extremely muddy and confused.

This stinker is on par with "The Street."

EDIT: I just want to reiterate something here, because I don't think I gave it the proper amount of attention the first time around: the "evil hair" thing is f*cking stupid. The monster in this story is literally a braid of hair. That's worse than a ghost table, for god's sake.

I mean, there's just no way to make a hair monster scary.
"Look out for that braid of hair!"
"Help! I'm being attacked by a woman's hair!"
"Mommy, there's a braid of hair in my closet!"

It's so lame that I'm pretty sure there isn't a word in the English language that can properly express. I shall be forced to make one up, like Will Ferrell's "scrumtrulescent," but the opposite. Like "dumbtrulescent."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:38:07 AM by Genus Unknown » Logged

dadavoodoo
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »

The cartoonish racism is the least of this story's problems. It's more boring than "The Last Test," more boring than "The Electric Executioner," and more boring than the last two-thirds of "The Mound." It's just boring, tedious, boring, and boring. The whole "evil hair" angle is stupid as f*ck, I don't care about any of the characters at all, and the supernaturalism in this story is extremely muddy and confused.

This stinker is on par with "The Street."

EDIT: I just want to reiterate something here, because I don't think I gave it the proper amount of attention the first time around: the "evil hair" thing is f*cking stupid. The monster in this story is literally a braid of hair. That's worse than a ghost table, for god's sake.

It's so lame that I'm pretty sure there isn't a word in the English language that can properly express. I shall be forced to make one up, like Will Ferrell's "scrumtrulescent," but the opposite. Like "dumbtrulescent."
Now tell me what you really think! Yes this one is a stinker!
TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »

The japanese have a word for it, Y?rei. Lost count of the number of movies in this sub-genre, it seemed like every other jhorror focused on it for close to a decade. Ringu, and later the rather sub-par "Ring" remake, made the phenomenon famous in the west but they've been rehashing this for, well, centuries (1666 is one of the first recorded instances). Going to be interesting to see if our favorite podcast hosts draw any comparisons between it and Lovecraft's writing.

EDIT: Appears the forum's database isn't using UTF-8 so I'll leave out the correct spelling above and simply call it "Yurei" down here.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »

Well, when I said there wasn't an English word for it, I was referring to the lameness of the story itself, not the hair thing. But that's interesting.

I remember hearing somewhere that the long hair in "The Ring" was meant to resemble the style generally given to the Japanese dead, but that doesn't sound right because people would have to start growing their hair out for like a year before they died.

TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »

Well, when I said there wasn't an English word for it, I was referring to the lameness of the story itself, not the hair thing. But that's interesting.
Aye, I wasn't trying to mark words, just used your turn of phrase as a convenient intro for my post.
Kaelestes
Cultist
Mind-Blasted

SI.VM E.T AV.VM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

The hair from the Uzumaki film and manga was fairly scary. In the manga it descended into silliness and two girls had an epic hair battle, but the film did it justice by making it simply appear ominous, and then letting you imagine how horrible it might be to have your own hair crush you to death against a lamp pole.

The Colour scorched my lands
 and burned away my family.
  Need money for Eldersign.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »

It's especially disappointing that this story sucks as bad as it does because the title is so badass. "Medusa's Coil." I would buy that metal album.

catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »

I found the entire discussion in the story about the main antagonist being a sort of Jungian/Campbell archetype for the legendary Gorgon to be so d*amn tedious, I wanted to strangle myself with a coil of my wife's blond hair. Why couldn't the hair have turned into snakes (or tentacles, shoggoths, whatever) that would have made the ending slightly more tolerable for me.   

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
JaiYenJohn
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »

Please note:

1. I also hated this story.
2. I spent one hour or so of my precious life reading this junk.
3. I never would have read it at all if it wasn't for the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast.
4. Therefore Chad and Chris owe me something entertaining about this story equal to or greater than #2.

You can't argue with that, it's just math.

Smiley
Cloven Sunfish
Blissfully Ignorant

hepromantic
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 03:27:34 AM »

Anybody know if we're getting an episode on this today? I don't remember if Chad or Chris mentioned it was coming up this week or next week. I know it'd be a lot of work for Chad to mix both this episode and the two readings. I actually haven't read this story yet. I glimpsed at it on hplovecraft.com and caught the last line by mistake. I figured then it would be best just to wait for the guys to rip into it.  Grin
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:19 AM »

I think it's coming up this week.

I thought the story started quite well.  I mean, it set the scene in a sufficiently creepy way, with the decaying house, but then the story within that framework was pretty poor, and even after some of the racism we've had to endure from Lovecraft, I found the last sentence to be pretty shocking - but not in a good way.

Luckily, I didn't feel I wasted any of my life reading it because I read most of it on my iPod during a longish car journey.
kulain
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »

The japanese have a word for it, Y?rei.

yurei means ghost, nothing to do with hair. the ghosts of japan has long loose hair since it represents that they have moved beyond caring about their appearance, where a living person would be neatly groomed with hair done up when going outside.

yosaphbridge
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:11 PM »

Anybody know if we're getting an episode on this today? I don't remember if Chad or Chris mentioned it was coming up this week or next week. I know it'd be a lot of work for Chad to mix both this episode and the two readings. I actually haven't read this story yet. I glimpsed at it on hplovecraft.com and caught the last line by mistake. I figured then it would be best just to wait for the guys to rip into it.  Grin

I guess we don't get an episode today, though they tweeted that there was one, so I wonder if it was an oversight?
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »

Two new readings to listen to, which I'm sure will be excellent.  I'd say we've done pretty well even without an episode - if it's not due until next week.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: