H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
September 21, 2017, 08:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: EPISODE 73 MEDUSA'S COIL  (Read 18795 times)
MattRichardson
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »

This was a truly terrible story, although I thought it started out well. I found the first couple chapters interesting, and I liked the fact that Lovecraft actually included a female character for once. The Medusa connection was completely ridiculous, and Lovecraft lost me right there. And the ending? I have no words...
TFeldt
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »

yurei means ghost, nothing to do with hair. the ghosts of japan has long loose hair since it represents that they have moved beyond caring about their appearance, where a living person would be neatly groomed with hair done up when going outside.
You're quite right, and if my message was construed to say otherwise then I apologize for the confusion. There's a whole classification table for what type of sub-genre of ghost they are. One can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%ABrei#Classifications

The most appropriate class of ghost for the Ringu movies would be an Onryo I guess, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onry%C5%8D#The_appearance_of_an_onry.C5.8D

What I was trying to point out that the vast majority of ghost movies I've seen from Japan has featured a woman (usually a girl) with long black hair. In many of the movies the hair plays a central role in the story, sometimes it fills a room trapping someone, other times it outright chokes people, et cetera. As far as I know there isn't a word specific to the hair-ghosts (or am I wrong?) so the regular word Yurei tends to be synonymous with exactly that.

When someone says "ghost" they tend to refer to the western image of a ghost, when they say "yurei" they're almost always referring to a girl with long hair. Usually lethal, long hair. This might not be true in Japan itself where yurei might be used just like how we use the word ghost, but I'm not in Japan so I'll go with this definition.
Chad Fifer
Great Old One
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »

Hey y'all - we'll be up with Medusa's Coil next week. Aside from the time it would take us, I don't know if the audience could handle an hour and a half release (plus the bandwidth would be a problem).

We're hoping to give folks a week to just absorb the readings, like we did with the Haunter reading.

Although I sat down to read Medusa's Coil last weekend, and... oh boy...

Well, we'll talk about it next week.

Chad
dadavoodoo
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »

I read this in "The Horror in The Museum And Others" from Del Rey. I don't fell bad about picking this one up. It's full of the works that H.P.L. work on with other people. One thing I did see in the introduction is that Zealia Bishop gave half of her pay for this story to H.P.L's ant after H.P.L's death. ($120! OMG why pay that much for this!) The other thing is she thought a lot of H.P.L!
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »

$120! OMG why pay that much for this!

Was it published in Weird Tales? 'Cause Farnsworth Wright never, ever, ever let such a thing as quality interfere with selling magazines. This is the guy who turned down "The Call of Cthulhu," remember.

Eric Lofgren
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »

Although I sat down to read Medusa's Coil last weekend, and... oh boy...

Well, we'll talk about it next week.

Chad

I gotta say, that while the podcasts on the awesome HPL stories are a given in their enjoyment value, it's listening to you guys try and salvage the bad ones where the brilliance come in Cheesy

Remember kids, never correlate the results of your research.
http://theartofericlofgren.blogspot.com/
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

Just look at it this way: we have to get through "Medusa's Coil" to get to "The Whisperer in Darkness."

When the guys covered "The Call of Cthulhu," they talked about the massive jump in quality after HPL moved back to Providence. Here we have, perhaps, an even bigger jump. "Whisperer" is easily on par with "Cthulhu," and after "The Mound" (which the guys have completely talked me out of liking) and "Medusa's Coil," not to mention the still-recent Castro collaborations, even some of his New York output is looking good by comparison.

catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »

Yes, after collaboration stories such as  The Mound and Medusa's Coil, I'm starting to long for the days of Celephais and The White Ship...Ride that Moon Beam, Baby!

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
dadavoodoo
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »

Great show guys! I to was like the two of you think at first, "Well this isn't great but it isn't bad." Like a pizza, even a bad on you still eat that is till you get to the last line and "POW!" you have just ate a s*&% pizza. It is that last line that really makes it not just bad but outright vile! Still I am glad that you have gone over this because we might not have know that there was something up with this one and every one can just walk the other way with this!
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »

Right, I've got my shotgun and I'm off to the Louvre.  Anyone coming?  Could this be a new sport?  Art shooting?

Of course, the best thing about the end of this story is that Whisperer is up next.  Any excuse to read that again is worth it.

Anyway, I'm off to do some art criticism!   Smiley
dadavoodoo
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »

On Lovecraft and smoking. No he did not smoke. When I was in high school I did my english paper on Lovecraft and I found a quote from him, "Of all the horrors I know I know of none grater then smoking." I don't know where I got that. I think it was de Camps bio of Lovecraft. The other thing is here he for I think the 5th time brings up Clark A. Smith. I am suprised that the guys have not brought this up before. Any time there is an artist and they start talking about great artiest right there in the list is good old Clark Ashtion Smith. Lovecraft must have like his art so much that he did not pull out a gun and gave it the old William S. Burroughs treatment!
Chris Lackey
Great Old One
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »

Please note:

1. I also hated this story.
2. I spent one hour or so of my precious life reading this junk.
3. I never would have read it at all if it wasn't for the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast.
4. Therefore Chad and Chris owe me something entertaining about this story equal to or greater than #2.

You can't argue with that, it's just math.

Smiley

Oh, man... you'll have to let me know if we do. It was a tough one...
Chris Lackey
Great Old One
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

Great show guys! I to was like the two of you think at first, "Well this isn't great but it isn't bad." Like a pizza, even a bad on you still eat that is till you get to the last line and "POW!" you have just ate a s*&% pizza. It is that last line that really makes it not just bad but outright vile! Still I am glad that you have gone over this because we might not have know that there was something up with this one and every one can just walk the other way with this!

HA! This actually made me laugh out loud (I refuse to type that any other way).  S@!T Pizza... Bless you.
Chris Lackey
Great Old One
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

On Lovecraft and smoking. No he did not smoke. When I was in high school I did my english paper on Lovecraft and I found a quote from him, "Of all the horrors I know I know of none grater then smoking." I don't know where I got that. I think it was de Camps bio of Lovecraft. The other thing is here he for I think the 5th time brings up Clark A. Smith. I am suprised that the guys have not brought this up before. Any time there is an artist and they start talking about great artiest right there in the list is good old Clark Ashtion Smith. Lovecraft must have like his art so much that he did not pull out a gun and gave it the old William S. Burroughs treatment!

Good to know on the smoking. I felt like I knew that, but I wasn't sure. Not at least I know there is a quote somewhere....
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »

Finally...the pain has ended!!! Great show, gentlemen! I wish I were in London to see the dramatization of The Temple, could that find its way to Youtube???

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: