H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:39:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: EPISODE 73 MEDUSA'S COIL  (Read 19556 times)
Miskatonic Philologus
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »

I'll keep smoking my royal freak flag until daddy takes my rollerskate keys away!

Old Book, you are one wacky piece of incomprehensible profound abtrusiosity ... Or words to that effect.

Really, keep up the good work!

Ready now with those switches?
vortexgods
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:33 PM »

Things we could have done instead of having read this story.

1. Emptied Cthulhu's fish tank.

2. Stolen the socks from dead guys, hey they sure aren't going to need them once we're done with them.

3. Painted our black ships white. (Boom! Double entendre.)

4. Fed half of the thousand young with the other half. They say you are what you eat, wouldn't that balance it out?

5. Gone out, met a girl, fallen head of heels in love, proposed, planned the wedding and then left her at the altar because SHE'S A NEGRESS!

Number 5 is also synonymous with my feelings on the story.

1.  We're going to need a bigger tank.

2.  When we're done with the dead guys, or the socks?

3.  ... (I got nothing)

4.  It'd be more of the same... (Picture in the House reference)

5.  Heh, my actual, real life fiancée is a Negress... true story!  (I'd be more worried about her leaving me at the altar though...)

vortexgods
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »

yurei means ghost, nothing to do with hair. the ghosts of japan has long loose hair since it represents that they have moved beyond caring about their appearance, where a living person would be neatly groomed with hair done up when going outside.
You're quite right, and if my message was construed to say otherwise then I apologize for the confusion. There's a whole classification table for what type of sub-genre of ghost they are. One can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%ABrei#Classifications

The most appropriate class of ghost for the Ringu movies would be an Onryo I guess, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onry%C5%8D#The_appearance_of_an_onry.C5.8D

What I was trying to point out that the vast majority of ghost movies I've seen from Japan has featured a woman (usually a girl) with long black hair. In many of the movies the hair plays a central role in the story, sometimes it fills a room trapping someone, other times it outright chokes people, et cetera. As far as I know there isn't a word specific to the hair-ghosts (or am I wrong?) so the regular word Yurei tends to be synonymous with exactly that.

When someone says "ghost" they tend to refer to the western image of a ghost, when they say "yurei" they're almost always referring to a girl with long hair. Usually lethal, long hair. This might not be true in Japan itself where yurei might be used just like how we use the word ghost, but I'm not in Japan so I'll go with this definition.

Here's one from the ObakeMono project, the Hari-onago or "Hook Hair Woman".

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »

That sounds remarkably like my ex-girlfriend.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
chaosound
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »

ive never read this one so all i know is from the podcast and these few pages on it but,
its mentioned in the podcast that this was a collaberation and the printed version was further rewritten by Derleth... could it possibly be that HPL didnt write the so hated "hair monster" but maybe just worked it into his mythos?
and imo the "hair monster" wasnt so bad anyway, i mean we all accept the standard "so horrible i cant describe it" so then couldnt this simply be the closest the teller could come to truely expressing the horror experienced? im willing to accept that anyway. and im thinking if 3-4ft of hair came to life off someones head and attacked you(anyone) youd be plenty scared and not simply hold it back with a comb and pick
even the "racism", so what, its almost expected and widely accepted as part of his writing so why bother to keep ranting on it, hplwasracisthplwasracisthplwasracisthplwasracist..... ok get it
what i didnt notice(and admittedly i didnt fully read all replies) was an outcry of the idiocy of a guy suddenly producing a gun and shooting a painting! i mean maybe tear at it, light it on fire, something but to just happen to have a gun and shoot it? thats the worst part imo
laughingacademy
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 12:26:50 AM »

"Medusa's Coil" is a shining example of how a terrible closing line can ruin an entire story. I'm sorry I read it online rather than in a book, because I was cheated of the catharsis that would have come from throwing a book at the wall as hard as possible while yelling.

Re: this passage —

“That coil of hair around Marsh was a monstrous thing. As I poked at it with a sword which I took from the wall I almost thought I felt it tighten its grip on the dead man. I didn’t dare touch it—and the longer I looked at it the more horrible things I noticed about it. One thing gave me a start. I won’t mention it—but it partly explained the need for feeding the hair with queer oils as Marceline had always done.

— are we meant to understand that Marceline had Bad Hair?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: