H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 23, 2017, 08:02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid Lovecraft characters  (Read 30975 times)
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »

Harry S. is Spirit Lake and Spirit Lake is Harry S. RIP Spirit Lake.

I think the question Julie poses goes back to Lovecraft's own agoraphobic reclusive tendencies. It probably wouldn't have seemed unreasonable to him. And yes, I know, he went to Quebec and Florida. Once. And he probably also dreamed of taking a walk around Greenwich Village at night, but thought better of it and wrote a story about it instead. imho.

OH. And the human agents in Whisperer.... Aren't they the prototypes of the Men in Black of UFOlogy? Lovecraft did it in fiction before the "first modern" case, the Maury Island incident... but then again, that makes sense, because Ray Palmer was publishing "modern" UFO stories and even flying saucer covers on his magazine before Maury, Arnold or the New Mexico incidents. Lovecraft even has a sort of "man in black" in another, more Keelian, guise, in the Dreams in the Witch-House, the Black Man. And the emotionless, masque-like faces Otto Bender and the others have reported... sounds a lot like a man Lovecraft met on a walk he never took in Greenwich Village one night.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:19:23 PM by old book » Logged

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
JulieH
Mind-Blasted

Resident Diva, 19 Nocturne Boulevard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2011, 12:12:20 PM »

Aren't HPL's reference to a mysterious "black man" intended to reflect Nyarlathotep? 

Though I could totally see him tricked out in the shades going gleefully mad with the "flashy-thingee"

--Julie Hoverson
19 Nocturne Boulevard
(www.19nocturneboulevard.com)
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »

I was about to say that the "Black Man" is something from older witch legends that Lovecraft chose to identify with Mr. Hotep, but come to think of it, I have absolutely no evidence for that. Googling "witch cult black man" just pulls up references to Lovecraft.

I've been Necronomiconned!

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »

I've been Necronomiconned!

LOL!

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »

LOL=m²~~!!!!

Actually the Black Man (non-Negroid racial features) comes up in Nathaniel Hawthorne's story whose name I've forgotten but it's something like Old Jack. It's pretty obviously the Evil Guy. It is some witchcraft tradition, the witches were supposed to make contact with the Black Man (not African) and have sex with him (even though he's not African, really).

John Keel points out that a lot of the UFO phenomena go back to fairy myths and so on. The Men in Black probably go back to the Black Man of witchcraft, although I don't know if Keel wrote that up or not.

Julie, it's interesting you brought up the Tommy Lee film. The Men in Black have a much deeper meme-history than you might gather from the film alone, being present at the Dahl household after the first modern UFO encounter on the Kitsap Peninsula in 1947, at Maury Island (which isn't an island anymore), but predating that on radio: the announcer for The Shadow was the Man in Black I think, and he popped up in other places on radio, perhaps in the pulps as well. It is interesting that you brought up the EDOM device (electronic dissolution of memory leading to "lost time"), because Lovecraft seems to have included something of that nature in The Evil Clergyman.

We've all been Necronomiconned, and for a long time now.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
JulieH
Mind-Blasted

Resident Diva, 19 Nocturne Boulevard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »

Have been re-reading de Maupassant's The Horla, and it actually makes some interesting comments about being unable to leave the home - unable to get away.  I wonder how much of an influence this was on HPL's home-bound characters?

--Julie Hoverson
19 Nocturne Boulevard
(www.19nocturneboulevard.com)
TheMediocreYoungishOne -Tom-
Unhinged

Ex Astris Scientia

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:34 PM »

Man in black... Hmm... Was Johnny Cash an incarnation of Nyarlathotep?

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams." H.P. Lovecraft - In a letter to Maurice W. Moe, January 1929
----
We are the Borgcraft. Your knowledge will be correlated. Insanity is inevitable.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »

I still hate that every unexplained incident in Lovecraft is put down to Nyarlathotep. For the love of Bengi, people, there ARE other monsters out there!

Bob (although I kind of agree that in this case it may have been the old Egyptian bastard... Angry)

MartinRonnlund
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

I've read The Witch-Cult in Western Europe and Murray mentions this black... non african dude quite alot. So yeah, it's totally Nyarlathotep, it's all real people!

“Cold! One of my many weaknesses!”
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »

it's all real people!

Well, duh. Wink

Bob

Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »

I still hate that every unexplained incident in Lovecraft is put down to Nyarlathotep.

Hey, them's the rules:

Cthulhu Mythos bylaw 357-B3:

When it doubt, fuck it, it's Nyarlathotep.

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:48 AM »

I fought the Law, and I won. --Nyarlathotep

Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »

Congratulations, OlbBook! You have been selected (base solely on your inclusion of horrible Johnny Cash material) to be the next sacrifice to our great lord Cthulhu! Ia OldBook! I hope your journey of death and insanity through the outer void will give you time to think about all the madness and horror you have unleashed on this forum with your last post. Wink

Bob

old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »

Nyarlathotep is my cage and my entertainment, I shall not want. Yea though I walk past Manson and Leary on my way to the license plate press, I shall not fear, for Nyarlathotep controls the horizontal. He controls the vertical.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: