H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 23, 2017, 07:54:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid Lovecraft characters  (Read 30973 times)
mr_esty
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »

Carter's buddy Harley Warren never really impressed me much. I mean the guy is suppose to be knowledgeable in terms of occult lore, yet still insists on descending into the tome of a dead sorcerer...alone...without weapons, a spell book or even at least a trusty swiss army knife. No, instead Warren chooses to bring a phone, so he can tell Randolph all about the unspeakable horrors he finds down there. At least Randolph was smart enough to stay topside...although in the Dreamlands RC makes some pretty amateurish mistakes himself, like trusting weird looking merchant sailors. 

I like to think that Harley Warren was aware that he and Carter were shades of the same archetype, and he was just ushering a timid young Carter toward his wizardly destiny.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »

I thought Warren was a play on Warren G. Harding, America's second African-American president... There's some "ghostbuster" going around these days named Warren, sort of ironic I guess. I also thought Carter was Lovecraft's closest alter-ego and that the name came from the Carter who explored in Egypt and died a horrible death along with the rest of his team sometime after breaking the seal to the pharoah's tomb... wait, I begin to see what you mean there.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
LambethWarp
Mind-Blasted

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »

OK, this is *just* the thread I was looking for. So I was bored the other day and re-read 'The Haunter of the Dark', because for sheer creepiness it's one of my favourites, I think, and it struck me: if the titular entity is "repelled by weak light and banished by strong light", why the hell does Robert Blake allow himself to be made so vulnerable by power outages? If you were him, wouldn't you spend every penny you had on hurricane lamps, oil and matches? The power goes out, oh well, light a lamp - or a few lamps, for good measure - and wait for the power to come back on again. Easy peasy. What an idiot.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:12:11 PM by LambethWarp » Logged

Melendwyr
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

Or even better, invest in a few camera flashbulbs.  When the horrible thing with the three-lobed eye shows up outside the window, you tell it to say 'cheese', and blast it back to hyperspace.

'Though naked, a man may be in rags.' - Ambrose Bierce
LambethWarp
Mind-Blasted

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »

Or even better, invest in a few camera flashbulbs.  When the horrible thing with the three-lobed eye shows up outside the window, you tell it to say 'cheese', and blast it back to hyperspace.

Haha, yes, excellent suggestion.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: