H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 22, 2017, 12:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Episodes 77 - 83 ~ At the Mountains of Madness  (Read 88364 times)
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2011, 08:47:24 AM »

Yeah, but I still liked it.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Yojimbo
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

Was listening to another podcast, "Things You Missed in History Class," earlier today, and happened across the episode dedicated to the race to the South Pole.

For one thing, the Monty Python sketch about Scott of the Antarctic became MUCH funnier, but I also learned a few things that might be of interest to fellow Lovecraft enthusiasts. Of course, the mention of McMurdo Sound leapt out at me, but I also learned that it was a Norwegian expedition that actually made the pole first, ahead of the British one lead by Scott. Among the Norwegians was a man named Johansen, who so irritated the expedition leader that his presence was expunged from the record. Johansen later committed suicide.

Anyway, thought it was neat and worth a mention.
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57450386/degenerate-penguins-behavior-shocked-1910-polar-explorer/

"Degenerate" penguins' behavior shocked 1910 polar explorer
by Jeanna Bryner, LiveScience Managing Editor

(LiveScience) Hidden for nearly 100 years for being too "graphic," a report of "hooligan" behaviors, including sexual coercion, by Adelie penguins observed during Captain Scott's 1910 polar expedition have been uncovered and interpreted.

The naughty notes were rediscovered recently at the Natural History Museum in Tring, in England, and published in the recent issue of the journal Polar Record. George Levick, a surgeon and the medical officer on Scott's famous 1910-1913 expedition to the South Pole, called the Terra Nova expedition, detailed his account of the penguins' seemingly odd behaviors in a four-page pamphlet "Sexual Habits of Ad?lie Penguins" in 1915. (The expedition, led by Navy Captain Robert Falcon Scott, would arrive at the South Pole to discover that Amundsen had beaten them there.)

"As it was boldly headed 'Not for Publication' it immediately caught my eye," Douglas Russell, who discovered the pamphlet, told LiveScience. "As the curator of birds eggs and nests at the Natural History Museum and having had a long-standing interest in polar research, I knew of George Murray Levick and that this was, as the header suggested, fascinating but totally unpublished work." During their journey, Levick observed and recorded details on the lives of the Ad?lie penguin (Pygoscelis adeliae) colony on Cape Adare. He even recorded the very first penguin at the colony -- the world's largest of this species -- on Oct. 13, 1911.

"Some of the things he noticed profoundly shocked him," Russell said. For instance, Levick noted the penguins' autoerotic tendencies, and the seemingly aberrant behavior of young unpaired males and females, including necrophilia, sexual coercion, sexual and physical abuse of chicks, non-procreative sex and homosexual behaviors. [See Levick's Notes his Penguin Photos]

Considered too explicit for society at the time, the pamphlet wasn't published with the other Terra Nova expedition reports. As such, it remained hidden in the bird collections at the museum to be uncovered recently by Russell. "Levick's notes were decades ahead of their time and possibly the first ever attempt to reveal the more challenging aspects of bird behavioral strategies to the academic world," Russell said in a statement. At the time, Levick was so shocked by what he saw he recorded the events in Greek to disguise the information, at one point writing, "There seems to be no crime too low for these penguins." For instance, on Nov. 10, 1911, Levick wrote in Greek (translated here): "This afternoon I saw a most extraordinary site [sic]. A Penguin was actually engaged in sodomy upon the body of a dead white throated bird of its own species. The act occurred a full minute, the position taken up by the cock differing in no respect from that of ordinary copulation, and the whole act was gone through down to the final depression of the cloaca."

In another entry, this one written in English on Dec. 6 of that year, he wrote: "I saw another act of astonishing depravity today. A hen which had been in some way badly injured in the hindquarters was crawling painfully along on her belly. I was just wondering whether I ought to kill her or not, when a cock noticed her in passing, and went up to her. After a short inspection he deliberately raped her, she being quite unable to resist him." [Homosexual Tales: 10 Gay Animals]

Levick described penguins that waddled about the colony's outskirts terrorizing any straying chicks as "little knots of hooligans" in his pamphlet. "The crimes which they commit are such as to find no place in this book, but it is interesting indeed to note that, when nature intends them to find employment, these birds, like men, degenerate in idleness." Homosexual behaviors in animals are no longer cause for hiding data, or even a blush. (Case in point: Dutch biologist Kees Moeliker won an Ig Nobel prize in 2010 for the first report of dead gay duck sex.)

Plenty of animals are out of the closet, so to speak, from dolphins and killer whales to bonobos and greylag geese. Some estimates put the number of animal species that practice same-sex coupling at 1,500.

And while Levick may have viewed the interactions between penguins through an anthropomorphic lens, today that's not the case, the researchers note. Necrophilia, for instance, is not the same in penguins and humans; Rather than being sexually aroused by a hot gal, male penguins are chemically wired to respond in certain ways to a seemingly compliant female of breeding age. "I'm very pleased that, 97 years after Levick submitted it for publication, the study has finally been published," Russell said. In fact, no other studies on this colony have been published, the researchers note.  Some 100 copies of Levick's pamphlet were originally printed, though only two are known to exist today.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »

Heh.  Of course these were the same people that cut the giant penises off Egyptian statuary.  Man, those Victorians/Edwardians were messed up...
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

Sounds like some of the Old Ones were teaching the penguins a thing or two... Undecided

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Jape
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »

Well Morgan Freeman never said anything about this
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »

"I have said that Danforth refused to tell me what final horror made him scream out so insanely—a horror which, I feel sadly sure, is mainly responsible for his present breakdown. We had snatches of shouted conversation above the wind’s piping and the engine’s buzzing as we reached the safe side of the range and swooped slowly down toward the camp, but that had mostly to do with the pledges of secrecy we had made as we prepared to leave the nightmare city. Certain things, we had agreed, were not for people to know and discuss lightly—and I would not speak of them now but for the need of heading off that Starkweather-Moore Expedition, and others, at any cost. It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth’s dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be let alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests."

I think the final assault on Danforth's reason must have been the blasphemy of a flock of flying eyeless albino penguins, who inherited the culture of the shoggoths who had inherited it from the Old Ones in decadent form. I picture the blind flyers at the southern antipodes doing a kind of synchronized swimming in the darkening sky, spelling out with their bodies in Old Ones' dot-language, Tekelili! Followed by tango, charleston, foxtrot and rumba dancings and pipings and flutings in that hideous scale Danforth knew so well from the last portions of the dreaded Necronomicon.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
CthulhuWho1
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »

Just a reminder that I have also posted posted my readings of ATMOM for free downloading, that make a great lead-in to these discussions:

H. P. Lovecraft's, At the Mountains of Madness in MP3 Audio (sometimes blocked by company networks):

http://cthulhuwho1.com/2010/12/20/h-p-lovecraft%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%93-at-the-mountains-of-madness-complete-%E2%80%93-read-by-william-hart-%E2%80%93-as-a-tribute-to-the-upcoming-guillermo-del-toro-james-cameron-universal-3d-movie/

H. P. Lovecraft's, At the Mountains of Madness in MP4 Video (available through most company networks):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF30F6D94A95839D9&feature=plcp

Will
Konrad Hartmann
Shaken

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »

And while Levick may have viewed the interactions between penguins through an anthropomorphic lens, today that's not the case, the researchers note. Necrophilia, for instance, is not the same in penguins and humans; Rather than being sexually aroused by a hot gal, male penguins are chemically wired to respond in certain ways to a seemingly compliant female of breeding age.

I'm sorry-the difference between penguins and humans is what again?

Konrad Hartmann-Now with more Evil!
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »

An unfortunate use of the semicolon, to be sure. Compounded by a capitalized word following it. Obviously written by a dilletant behaviorist who has never studied 4chan. Good catch.

redridinghood
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2013, 03:38:28 AM »

Is anyone familiar with the Piri Reis map? Or perhaps I should say, the 'mystery' of the Piri Reis map- http://historicmysteries.com/the-piri-reis-map The short of it is that this is a map that was discovered at the beginning of the last century, but dated to the early 15th century, credited to a Turkish captain named Piri Reis. Besides supposedly depicting geographical detail that should not have existed at that point, of various coastlines, it also depicted parts of Antarctica in incredible detail, but more importantly, detail of Antarctica as it appears without the layers of ice that rests on it. Apparently, the majority of the map's detail derives from other, pre-existing maps; some of which are said to pre-date Christ. Which begs the question; at that early date who could have had the ability to depict with such accuracy geography that most people of the time wouldn't even know existed?

Every time I hear of Antarctica (such as with this story) I think of this map. No doubt there's some logical explanation, but it's still fun to speculate Smiley 

From the site- What is baffling is not so much how Piri Reis managed to draw such an accurate map of the Antarctic region 300 years before it was discovered – but that the map depicts the coastline under ice!  Evidence confirms that the latest date Queen Maud Land could have been charted in an ice-free state is 4000 BC.

Just idling away the time until the next episode Cheesy

Adding a quick comment here: There is a lot of myth surrounding the Piri Reis map. It is stated, that the Antarctic region is depicted correctly (which is something I don`t know if it is right or wrong), but when you look at the map it is also displayed that South America is directly connected to the Antarctic (which is something I know is wrong). So either the world has changed drastically in the last thousands of years or the map is simply wrong and the supposed perfect display of the Antarctic region is a modern myth. I vote for the latter.
LambethWarp
Mind-Blasted

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:52 AM »

Yeah, the Reis map is something of a favourite among 'fringe' archaeologists and pseudoarchaeologists (von Daeniken, for example).

fox01313
Blissfully Ignorant

artist, video game designer/artist in training

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »

Great series of episodes Chad & Chris & everyone else.

It wasn't until listening to the podcast that I took more notice of H.P. Lovecraft's particular penguin sentence:

On the barren shore, and on the lofty ice barrier in the background, myriads of grotesque penguins squawked and flapped their fins, while many fat seals were visible on the water, swimming or sprawling across large cakes of slowly drifting ice.

From the first or 2nd podcast talking about his description of the penguins & animals in general, it made me wonder about what might be in some of his letters about H.P. Lovecraft possibly visiting a zoo & describing the myriad of animals there. Anyone know if any letters like this are out there?

Guess it's just part of me that wants to read his unspeakable nightmarish descriptions of most animals then getting to the great cats where he just gets all sweet & nice with describing what the cats are up to (as well as any other animals he might like in addition to cats).

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Mattias
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

Almost exactly three years since the topic started, I'll bring it back from the dead...

Just listened to these episodes and thought I might respond to something. Nothing important, nothing that really matters. Just a thing on evolution.
Since I am a biologist, I thought I might as well share the relevant knowledge I happen to have...

In the podcast you spoke about the blind penguins and were quite surprised that they still had eyelids, which they would have no use of. One of you mentioned that it takes time for evolution to change such a thing. I can add that evolution will not remove the eyelids at all, unless they "damage" the penguins. If they are just there and doesn't use much energy, then there will be no selection working towards a removal of the eyelids. (that's the short answer)

It's just like the (strange Wink) case with male nipples. We have no use of them, but they don't affect us negatively either.
LambethWarp
Mind-Blasted

View Profile Email
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »

I dunno about you guys but I'd be lost without my nipples.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to: