H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 20, 2017, 04:20:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What got you in to Lovecraft?  (Read 38174 times)
chrisblue77
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »

I got into Lovecraft because I heard about him on a episode of the Real Ghost Busters. Lame. Roll Eyes
I finally got his books three yeas ago.
Cool Air Sucks.
Ruth - CthulhuChick
Stark-Raving Mad

Mistress of necromancers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »

Neil Gaiman. I was reading his complete works (as best I could, at least). He's got so many allusions that I decided I really ought to read Lovecraft. I'd though for years that maybe I should, but Gaiman got me into it. Then the podcast got me to read all of it, then I started making Cthulhus...etc.

Jack
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17:07 AM »

I found a somehow-still-in-one-piece first edition of Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre on the floor of one of my high school classrooms on the last day of the school year. I spent large chunks of the following summer looking through libraries and book stores for more anthologies, and I read just about every single one of his stories before the next school year began. Years later, I found this podcast, and it's totally made me relive that original excitement.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:24:33 AM by Jack » Logged
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »

...stumbling upon this podcast. [/shame]

Well, "Stuff You Should Know" had a great reading of "The Tomb" and that lead me here after I wanted to look for more stuff to read.

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
TheMediocreYoungishOne -Tom-
Unhinged

Ex Astris Scientia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:20:35 AM »

Before I was an atheist, I remember hearing about this guy Lovecraft who was an occultist. lol  Later I saw the movie "Dagon" and liked it. Years after that, after I left the church, I bought a couple of anthologies. "Cool Air" was the first story that I read.

The idea of ancient creatures/civilizations and the Necronomicon, pulled me in.

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams." H.P. Lovecraft - In a letter to Maurice W. Moe, January 1929
----
We are the Borgcraft. Your knowledge will be correlated. Insanity is inevitable.
Rob
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:18:34 AM »

As an angst-ridden teenager I read Colin Wilson's "The Outsider" then in the library one day saw an HPL book with the same title and picked it up out of interest...  I may also have picked the name up from reading REH Conan, I'm sure HPL was mentioned in the forwards.

Actually can I just also say - nothing can replace the thrill of reading HPL for the first time, but I'm finding that the podcasts almost do that, they make me look at a story with fresh eyes and bring a lot of pleasure. Keep up the good work guys!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:20:47 AM by Rob » Logged
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:45:39 AM »

I had known about HPL and the Cthulhu RPG for years (I've been a gamer for the last 24 years) but never really picked it up. Then I saw a commercial for "Dagon" on the Sci-Fi channel and thought I would look for the book. That lead me to finding the audiobook files and downloading a few. After listening to them, I had the bug and scrounged the internet for more and more. I eventually ended up buying a half dozen anthologies and collections and the rest is history, so far.

Oh, and I got into the podcast about 30 episodes in from a bunch of link jumping that originated on the Podiobooks.com web site. I still have no idea how it led me here, but hey, that's typical of Lovecraft stories, right?

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
MediaGhost
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »

Well, that's a good question.  I honestly can't remember exactly how or where I first read one of Lovecraft's stories.  It's lost in the misty reaches for time, I guess.

-------------------------

"...there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author."
Eric Lofgren
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »

This particular book-

Sadly, it was brand new when I read it. If you look at the price on the cover you'll get a sense of why that makes me sad.

Remember kids, never correlate the results of your research.
http://theartofericlofgren.blogspot.com/
Elderly Thing
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »

Stumbled across the Necronomincon CoC RPG (2nd ed box set) at our university bookshop back in '86. We were playing AD&D, but CoC looked so damn intriguing. Got hold of ATMOM and that was it....
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »

I first heard of Lovecraft because of Metallica. Then I went out and bought this:

TheMediocreYoungishOne -Tom-
Unhinged

Ex Astris Scientia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »

I bought that book, Genus, and can't find it. Did you steal it from me!? XD j/k

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams." H.P. Lovecraft - In a letter to Maurice W. Moe, January 1929
----
We are the Borgcraft. Your knowledge will be correlated. Insanity is inevitable.
canadiancthulhu
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »

I got into Lovecraft thanks to a friend, Scott Connors when he lived in Georgia.  Love the the concepts of ancient creatures and ancient societies.
adamgurri
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

Heard about it through Neil Gaiman and Stephen King. Went and bought the same book as Genus Cheesy but after reading that I didn't read any more Lovecraft until I started going through the podcast archives here.
Eric Lofgren
Mind-Blasted

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »

I absolutely love the work Michael Whelan did for that run of Lovecraft books. It defined the way I would 'see' Lovecraft for some time afterward. I believe most of the covers for that run were derived from just two paintings Whelan did, from which the various covers were taken from sections of each painting. 

Remember kids, never correlate the results of your research.
http://theartofericlofgren.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: