H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
November 23, 2017, 07:57:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What got you in to Lovecraft?  (Read 38209 times)
Phil
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »

My oldest brother had a copy of Charles Dexter Ward, which I didn't read, but remembered the cover.  Much later in life I started reading about Aleister Crowley in Kenneth Grant's books (he uses a lot of HPL material in his works) and had a great friend (now deceased) who used to make Lovecraft jokes such as "Which came first the shantak or the egg?"  Then I watched "Re-Animator" - still hadn't read HPL yet - until --- this podcast began.  Loving every single new horror as it peaks its head around the corner!  Shocked

Be sure to check out my cool weird little books @ http://www.lulu.com - search under Jensen for "Lot's Wife" and "What the Dirt Wants" - hurry, something bigger and far worse will be waking soon!
Lambda
Unhinged

Mythos Addict

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 06:04:42 AM »

I read a German lovecraftian book (Genesis by W. Hohlbein) which was basically a mix of ATMOM and CoC. HPL wasn't mentioned in the story, but every book was prefaced with a quote of him. Also, it had a few crazy names (me: wtf is a nyarlathotep???) which I had to look up online. So I learned of good old HPL. And then I discovered that my local library actually had some of his stuff, so i went there, read all of it in... a few days. These were days of madness...  Grin
vortexgods
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

Mainly through the roleplaying game, which I got into because of advertisements in Dragon magazine.

My Lovecraft trajectory was inevitable, though, as I encountered him in many other contexts since that time.  (Comic books, video games, actual books...)

yumegari
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 05:05:02 AM »

I got pulled into the HPL-verse by exposure to it in, of all things, an online multiversal roleplaying game on Livejournal.  You know the kind, where some kind of fictionalised dimensional mishap creates a hub or a nexus or whathaveyou were the canons of anything and everything can meet.  Books, movies, video games, comics, TV shows, web stuff, everything.  So people apparently really liked mixing Marvel with HPL because Norman Osborn ends up a high priest of Nyarlathotep or somesuch, with terrifying and slightly disgusting Eldritch powers; and Doctor Octopus somehow ends up an unwilling servant of Hastur; and someone over there is playing Yaddithian-Randolph Carter and there are references to Arkham as something other than the place Batman constantly sends his enemies to and that Miskatonic University place and, well, I had to see what all the shouting was about.

Got instantly hooked.  The rest is history.

squiggle, line, circle, line, squiggle, squiggle, circle, line.
chaosound
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »

i had seen films like; Reanimator, From Beyond & Evil Dead... heard references in songs by Metallica and others... and seen Cthulhu and others in the AD&D Deities & Demigods sourcebook but it wasnt till years later (mid/late 90s) that while discussing horror writers my friend loaned me an HPL book
now unfortunately I randomly picked some of the dream-quest stories to read first and it almost put me off reading anything else by HPL
luckily i pickedup a few other books and got hooked, really the whole concept of the mythos is what drew me in, it just took me a bit to get to some of those stories

i found the podcast by random itunes search for Cthulhu and it has rekindled my interest in many stories as well as shed new light on some i prev dismissed

sadly ive finally caught up to the current episodes and now have to play the waiting game, ugh
Sunjammer
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:03 AM »

Spent a miserable summer in Paris, and killed time with Del Rey's The Road to Madness. Such a great anthology.

I just adore his language. I've always been a "word guy" and there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author ;-)
MediaGhost
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »

...there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author ;-)

That right there is a gem of an observation.  Parenthetically, how does one spend a "miserable" summer in Paris?

-------------------------

"...there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author."
Jack
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »

Parenthetically, how does one spend a "miserable" summer in Paris?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »

Damn, Jack. That sound like a terrible vacation.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
vortexgods
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »

That reminds me of this Website, that I like very much:

Tentacules

Tcho-Tcho Gourmand
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 02:04:46 AM »

When I was a boy, my father had a copy of "The Shuttered Room" written by the one and only August Derleth, but in the cover he appeared as co-writer with HPL. Of course, now I know that mr. Derleth just got inspired by some ideas from Lovecraft's "Common Place Book", but right then I enjoyed the stories inmensely. After that, I went to the library searching for more Derleth stories, but, luckily, there were none. Instead, they had some books by the co-writer, that guy called Lovecraft. I bought one, read it and, even at that tender age, I realised the stories were amazingly superior to the ones in "The shuttered room"; that's how I began with Lovecraft; and that's why I never really hated Derleth's stories... just don't like them very much.
Sunjammer
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 03:09:31 AM »

Well if you're 15, you don't speak the language, and everybody you meet refuse to speak English, and the streets are covered in perpetual heaps of dog shit and you're also, you know, 15, and everything sucks because you're 15. That's how you rock a real shitty Paris stay ;-) Good book stores though!
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »

Well if you're 15, you don't speak the language, and everybody you meet refuse to speak English, and the streets are covered in perpetual heaps of dog shit and you're also, you know, 15, and everything sucks because you're 15. That's how you rock a real shitty Paris stay ;-) Good book stores though!

Kind of makes you want to go back to Paris when you are 30 and just go around punching random strangers, speaking SPANISH the whole time (you know, just to mess with their heads) and kicking those mounds of dog crap at people.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
TheFolklorist
Shaken

The Bishop-Fish which appeared in Poland in 1433

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »

I got into Lovecraft in late middle school - early high school thanks to number of things coming to my attention all at the same time. One was that I started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and became a life long fan. I bought a book called the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Monster Book which talked about all the monsters in the series and where in mythology they came from and there was a whole section on how Lovecraft had influenced Joss Whedon and the other writers of Buffy more than in other source in their conception of the demons in the series.

Around that same time I started reading the books of satirist Christopher Moore. Moore's first book was Practical Demon Keeping and makes overt references to the Cthulhu Mythos and Lovecraft.

This was also around the time that I started reading Hellboy comics which, of course, also have a great deal of overt Lovecraftian influence.

So basically, the day I started piecing together those bits of dissociated knowledge I found myself opening up a terrifying vista of literary reality, and my frightful position therein of falling absolutely in love with it. Some might say that I've gone mad from the revelation and should flee from this deadly light into the peace and safety of less morbid literature and if this is crazy I think I'm very happy to continue dwelling here.       

"I long to learn the songs the demons sing as they swoop between the stars, or hear the voices of the olden gods as they whisper their secrets to the echoing void." - Robert Bloch
Yojimbo
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »

Michael Whelan.

That huge mural he painted, which Del Rey broke up into segments for the many volumes they did of Lovecraft's work in the 80s just called  to me. I picked up "At the Mountains of Madness," tried to read it, and just couldn't get into it. The opening is just so dry and matter of fact, too much so for a 13 year old boy.

A few years later, I somehow got a copy of Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre (I think that's the correct title; regardless, the Del Rey Greatest Hits collection) and devoured it. I fell in love, and have been ever since.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: