H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
September 23, 2017, 07:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth  (Read 122619 times)
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »

I hope it isn't too early to start the 'Episodes' thread for this story.  I know there's probably at least a week to go until we start with The Shadow Over Innsmouth, but it's probably my favourite Lovecraft story, so I'm quite enthusiastic to begin gibbering about it!

It was actually the 'Call of Cthulhu' videogame that really got me interested in H. P. Lovecraft, and since the early parts of the game were largely based around the story 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth' it was therefore the first story I really became aware of.

I didn't read the story until a short time after I'd finished the game, but I really enjoyed it.  Horror stories set by the sea always have a special atmosphere of their own to me.  One of my favourite things about the story is the way it spends so much of it just piling on the atmosphere and building up to something.  When you go back over everything that the main character has heard or been told, there are some quite disturbing concepts in there.

I'm being a bit vague at this point because I don't know how if this story will need more than one episode or not and I don't want to bugger it up for anybody who is reading the stories for the first time along with the episodes.

I was really pleased when the HPLHS did the radio adaptation of this story and I thought they did an amazing job with it.  It's definitely worth a listen!

As for film adaptations, I can only think of two.  One of them is 'Cthulhu'.  It seemed like a pretty loose adaptation, but it was very atmospheric.  I have to admit, a lot of the time, I didn't really quite understand what was going on.  I think I much preferred 'Dagon'.  It was much more obvious as an adaptation, though it too, took a fair few liberties, like moving the location to Spain and making the 'monsters' more squid-like and tentacular, rather than fish-frog-like.  The main character was strangely comical at times, which was odd.

Actually, I think one of the best on-screen depictions of Innsmouth and the inhabitants was probably the 'Call of Cthulhu' videogame I've already mentioned.

Out of all of Lovecraft's stories, I think this is the one I've read and listened to the most often.  Definitely my favourite.  Can't wait for the episode(s)!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:09:26 AM by Genus Unknown » Logged
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »

"One of my favourite things about the story is the way it spends so much of it just piling on the atmosphere and building up to something."

Sort of like a darkening cloud-filled sky, pendulous and pregnant with the promise of something to come.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »

Yeah, just like that!

Innsmouth is described quite vividly, so the place is very easy to imagine!

So, when our hosts begin discussing The Shadow Over Innsmouth, will they pronounce Innsmouth is Inns-mouth or Innsm'th?
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »

Yeah, just like that!

So, when our hosts begin discussing The Shadow Over Innsmouth, will they pronounce Innsmouth is Inns-mouth or Innsm'th?

You know, that will probably take up the first half of the first episode...

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Boneworm
Shaken

Like a Gingerbread Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »

Yeah, just like that!

Let's just agree to call it "Steve".
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »

Yeah, just like that!

Let's just agree to call it "Steve".

LOL! "The Shadow Over Steve"; I like it!

Bob

Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »

Chris has referred to it on the show before as "Innsmoth," as in "Inns" + "member of the order Lepidoptera."

Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »

I'd be willing to bet that the way most people say it is probably based upon how they first heard it pronounced.  In my case, it was Innsm'th, so that's how I say it.  Much the same way I pronounce other places with that suffix, such as Plymouth or Bournemouth.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »

I always said "Inns - mouth," until I heard the Dark Adventure Radio Theatre adaptation in which they say "Innsm'th." I adopted that pronunciation immediately, just because it sounds better.

kulain
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »

innsboca!

but yeah i always thought it was mth like plymouth since its more new england ish, but if greenwich is green-witch and not ipswitch then who knows whats going on there.

i also say ray-yay for rlyeh.
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »

We might call it "Ins My'outh" but that sounds too much like "Ins Mah-bellah". Get Ins-Mah-Bellah! :\ Sorry; bad attempt at a joke. It sounded funnier in my head.

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »

We might call it "Ins My'outh" but that sounds too much like "Ins Mah-bellah". Get Ins-Mah-Bellah! :\ Sorry; bad attempt at a joke. It sounded funnier in my head.

Yeah, it would almost have to have... Wink

Bob

MediaGhost
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »

I'd always just assumed it was pronounced Inns-muth - as in Ply-muth.  But I'm perfectly willing to call it "Steve."

-------------------------

"...there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author."
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:24 AM »

Great episode, and I agree pretty much with everything said.  It's interesting the way the main character basically gets a different spin on what's happening in Steve even before he gets there.  I wondered how long he spent staring at Sargent's feet in the bus before in the end he had to say 'Whad'you'lookin'ad, outsider?'

Definitely agree about Shelley Duvall.
Miskatonic Philologus
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 06:01:46 AM »

Great first installment on on of my favorite stories -and loved the Papa Hem references.

Look forward to the second part!

Ready now with those switches?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: