Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
the Cats of Ulthar
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 05:26:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the Cats of Ulthar  (Read 16063 times)
chrisblue77
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:46 AM »

That story made me think of the movie "Cat People" the one based on the Steven King novel, not the one with the Davide Bowie song of the same name. When the cats are outside the house waiting to attack the Virgin-Lifeforce-Sucking-Demons. Cool
bar1scorpio
Unhinged

bar1scorpio@hotmail.com bar1scorpio bar1scorpio
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »

I few Mythos-expanded interpretations -

Okay, first, this is probably set somewhere around the fictional Hyborean age.  We all know how good a friend he was with Conan the Barbarian creator Robert E Howard.  Ulthar, Lomar, seem to be cities sharing that fictional 'verse.

Second, the creepiness, the never-changing expressions; I'm not sure where this stands in the mythos in relation to The Shadow over Innsmouth, but I think if there was a reference to the cotter having "a fishy smell" it'd be laid bare.  They're cultists sacrificing the cats to some evil.  Hence why they catch them alive, and kill them at night, and might even be Deep Ones, worshipping the vile fish-god Dagon.

Lovecraft often puts himself into his works, somehow.  This is the first time (and only, likely) that he weaves part of himself into a story as a non-caucasian.  Namely, Menes.  Lets look at the evidence:

1) Parents dead of "plague".  (Syphilis?)
2) Has a black cat to keep him company.
3) Has mysterious magical powers, like kids into the Arabian Nights are wont to.

Furthermore;  I'll give you 3 guesses as to what that little kitten's name was.

So yeah, depending on how you interpret this story, there's a helluva lot of Mythos you can tie it to.  I'm completely off-base and unfounded, but hell, it makes the whole thing a bit more fun.

"Then again, I'm Gary Busey, who knows what the f*** I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

This just in from the Cold Wastes: a sort of 1984/dystopian reply to Lovecraft's Cat-utopia:

http://www.grapevine.is/News/ReadArticle/Cat-Laws-In-Akureyri-Expand

Cat Laws In Akureyri Expand
Words by Paul Nikolov

New cat legislation in the northern town of Akureyri covers nearly every aspect of a cat's life, down to how many cats can live in a household.

RUV reports that the newly passed city ordinance requires cat owners to have their cat registered, insured, and fitted with an identification microchip. Owners have to pay a registration fee of 10,000 ISK, on top of a permit for 6,000 ISK, which must be renewed yearly.

All cats older than five months need to be spayed, and must wear a collar and tags at all times, bearing the cat's registration number and its owner's phone number. Owners are limited to three cats per household, presumably because the town is fast becoming overrun with cats.

The legislation still needs the approval of the environmental committee before it is ultimately passed.

Akureyri goes farther than many municipalities in Iceland do with cat legislation; charging a registration fee and for a yearly permit is uncommon, although not unheard of. Every town has its own particular cat legislation, often after a long political struggle. In Kopavogur, for example, Social Democrat Guthrithur Arnardottir has for years fought for changes to cat legislation, but has only recently seen her proposals approved.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
MediaGhost
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »

If Iceland's cat legislation goes as well as their banking de-regulation did, I think we can expect to read about the entire island's mysterious disappearance very very soon.

-------------------------

"...there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author."
MediaGhost
Unhinged

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

See, this is what happens when you mess with cats...

-------------------------

"...there's more ammo for being a meeting room smartass in Lovecraft than any other author."
Lambda
Unhinged

Mythos Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »

Nah.  Roll Eyes This here happens.
UVoD: The (slightly different) Cats of Ulthar
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »

Catastrophe lurks under the Icelandic glaciers...

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
fox01313
Blissfully Ignorant

artist, video game designer/artist in training

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »

Great work on this guys as there's lots of little details in this that are nice once you see the connections between H.P. Lovecraft's stories.

Between stories like this & the one compilation talked about on another Podcraft episode of animal revenge tales just results in more of things like this. Still torn on if it's really cute, really dangerous or both.

image from
http://www.moddb.com/groups/tanks/images/catsin-tanks
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:00:07 AM by fox01313 » Logged

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: