Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 10:41:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth  (Read 197827 times)
TheMediocreYoungishOne -Tom-
Unhinged

Ex Astris Scientia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »

I'm from Massachusetts. I'm certain it should be pronounced "Innsm?th" (or "Innsm'th" as Genus Unknown said).

On a side note... I remember hearing someone pronounce Haverhill as Have-er-Hill and cringing. It's HAYverill (emphasis on the first syllable and no "h" in the second.

I'll stop now.

(The "?" was supposed to be a schwa, but it doesn't work. Sad )
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:25:27 AM by TheMediocreYoungishOne » Logged

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams." H.P. Lovecraft - In a letter to Maurice W. Moe, January 1929
----
We are the Borgcraft. Your knowledge will be correlated. Insanity is inevitable.
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »

The Innsmouth Look by ~Azes13

Spoiler Alert: the real reasons the Deep Ones mate with humans.

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 05:29:05 PM »

Yeah, the whole human/fishmonster mating angle always seemed a bit dubious, but I think we can hand-wave all that away by assuming some kind of magic / science-fictional intervention. Maybe the Deep Ones are great genetic engineers, like the Elder Things. Maybe the Elder Things created both the Deep Ones and the simian ancestors of humanity out of the same goop, so that we're extremely - and unnaturally - close genetically, even moreso than humans and chimps. Or maybe the first Deep Ones were humans who were turned into fish monsters by otherworldly means. Or vice versa.

Or maybe Lovecraft just wanted to write a creepy story, and wasn't overly concerned with the plausibility of producing viable offspring with the Bipedal Salmon of Doom.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:31:12 PM by Genus Unknown » Logged

mcglothlin.13
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

In reading "The Shadow over Innsmouth" I've found that following a map as our narrator travels throughout Innsmouth can be quite helpful.  The following is the best one that I've been able to find that is also free online:

mcglothlin.13
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

I don't mean to be hogging a bunch of posts, but I'm just pumped about Chris and Chad finally getting to "The Shadow over Innsmouth".  I wanted to make my fellow forum readers aware of a really great Innsmouth story called "Once More, From the Top . . ." by A. Scott Glancy.  It can be found in Delta Green: Dark Theatres, a fiction anthology whose stories are set in the Delta Green role playing game universe:

The story is set around an interview of a retired Marine who is re-telling his first-hand involvement in the government raid on Innsmouth in 1927.  I think it's an incredibly cool story.  The early part of the story has a lot of the same creepy vibe as Lovecraft's original tale, but by the end the story turns into something like James Cameron's Aliens.  I usually hate fan-based fiction.  For instance, don't waste your time buying something like Tales out of Innsmouth--not very good.  But Glancy's story is incredibly good.  I highly recommend it to those who like tales based off the Innsmouth sandbox.
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »

If we're are talking maps:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:21:13 PM by osyrisdiamond » Logged

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
mcglothlin.13
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:24 AM »

Though much prettier, the maps from Fantasy Flight aren't labelled.  It's difficult to follow our narrator by those artistic renderings, though they are pretty.
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 01:59:24 AM »

Though much prettier, the maps from Fantasy Flight aren't labelled.  It's difficult to follow our narrator by those artistic renderings, though they are pretty.

This is where Photoshop would come in handy... and the permission from the artist might help, too. >_>

Boneworm
Shaken

Like a Gingerbread Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »

Loved the episode; I think it's the funniest yet.  "Glub-glub, gotta make the donuts...", etc. XD  The Glancy story sounds awesome, since that's the one thing that's really missing from the story.  Lovecraft sets up this awesome action story in the government raiding Innsmouth on land and sea, but just passes over it.  Now that would be a good way to bring HPL to the silver screen.  Just hopefully not in 3D, ugh.
Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »

Wow!  Really liking the maps!  I suppose ideally you need the simplicity and clear labelling of the first map, but somehow still keep the detail of the others.  The colour maps certainly have a more interesting version of Innsmouth, simply because the streets aren't just sets of parallel streets.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »

One of my favorite parts of the Dark Corners of the Earth video game is when your character is forced to accompany the FBI on the Innsmouth raid. They even made it snow, because the raid takes place in winter. It's one of many scenes in TSOI that I've always wanted to see more of, so that's a real treat.

Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »

It's great the way the game uses those elements from the original story.  My favourite part is when the player first arrives in Innsmouth, before eveything 'kicks off', so-to-speak.  I love just exploring the place, poking my investigators' nose into all the nooks and crannies - and just generally absorbing the atmosphere.

It's a real shame that Headfirst went bankrupt and that the game ended up having the flaws that it did.  What would they have achieved if they'd had the time and money required to do whatever they wanted with the game?

Oh, and going back to maps of Innsmouth, there is another map that I daresay a few people have, and that's the one that came with the CD version of the Dark Adventures Radio Theatre Adaptation.  I'm going to have to go and have a look at that now...
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »

Don't have time to read "The Shadow Over Innsmouth?" Here's the whole story in 24 succinct panels, as shared by our hosts on the Facebook page.

My favorite:

vortexgods
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 03:36:35 PM »

I had linked to this in another thread, but for those who didn't see it:

http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/2010/06/shadow-over-innsmouth.html

It has video clips from the Japanese live action movie version of The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

The movie was successful enough in Japan that it spawned a Virtual Boy game.

Rob
Shaken

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »

Been looking forward to this one for a long time - my fave HPL story....

Speaking of movies, any hope of the HPLHS adapting Shadow for their next project? I mean I enjoyed the Dagon movie but a true, well done movie version would be a real treat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: