Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 05:11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  
Author Topic: Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth  (Read 197904 times)
Inner Prop
Unhinged

I've seen things you wouldn't imagine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

So you're saying that tradition of offering your wife to a visitor was a safe bet since no visitor could take you (and her) up on the offer?

"engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, ...The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."   Blaise Pascal
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »

No visitor? Depends on their familiarity and tolerance of certain smells, I guess. I have heard there were a bunch of children sired by explorers during the expeditions to northern Greenland over a century ago.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »

No visitor? Depends on their familiarity and tolerance of certain smells, I guess. I have heard there were a bunch of children sired by explorers during the expeditions to northern Greenland over a century ago.

Well yeah. You get used to a smell. But you don't get used to lack of nookie. Proven fact.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Inner Prop
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »

True dat, brah

"engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, ...The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."   Blaise Pascal
Graf von Altenberg Ehrenstein
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »

I hope nobody pointed this out before
Yesterday I was browsing over some old books of mine and had an "Oh-me-gawd-why-did-I-never-think-of-this-before" moment.
Part of the wave of archaeologic discoveries in the 1920ies and 30ies was the unearthing of a pre-sumerian civilization in Mesopotamia named the Obed- Culture (after a site near ancient Ur), a striking feature of whitch were strange humanoid figurines displaying some kind of Innsmouth Look:

Yes they `re more reptilian than ichthyoid, it `s not really a Tiara they `re wearing and the name is the Bible as well. But I think the semblance is striking. As Lovecraft `s work reflects the progress of ancient history as much as that of the natural sciences this could well have been an inspiration for the Deep Ones.

T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 04, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »

Graf, I think you mean "Obeid Culture" (now usually known as the Ubaid Period).  It's named after Tel al-Obeid where their sites were found! 

That being said, I sure as hell think HPL drew upon Sumerian art for his inpsirations and there is evidence he was well-schooled in what Gnostic writings were extant in his day.  I think Obed Marsh gets his name from the Obed mentioned in the Bible (Obed, the Servant of God, not Obed-Edom) - who was an ancestor of David...and, by default, an ancestor of Jesus Christ. 

To me, that seems like the kind of little joke HPL would have enjoyed!   
Graf von Altenberg Ehrenstein
Shaken

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »

I should have considered that the English spelling would be slightly different, as well as the typical American preference for biblical names. However, I didn `t mean to point this out as THE origin of the fishpeople but I feel there is a source of inspiration that generally does not seem to get much attention. Or at least I am not aware that it `s recognized.
In Lovecraft `s lifitime there were numerous Nameless Cities of undeterminable age with mysterious art and illegible writing systems emerging from the deserts. A goldmine for any writer of the fantastic.
T. Kelly Lee
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »

Oh, yeah!  Sumerian archaeological news was HUGE in HPL's day! 

I think one of his leading influences were the popular legends of the lost city of the Rub' al Khali - the Empty Quarter - of the Arabian peninsula.  There was an exploring expedition there in 1931 that was heavily covered in the news.  Interestingly, there is a great book called The Road to Ubar on the use of space photography in actually uncovering a lost city in that region.  I love that stuff, man!
Inner Prop
Unhinged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »

I was just listening to Cthulhu Podcast's version of SoI and I got to thinking.  Was there ever a belief that fish didn't die?

I know there was a belief that sharks don't attack or eat people.  That was one of the reasons some of the people died when a series of shark attacks happened in New Jersey (the story that inspired Jaws).

They also believed that fish don't feel pain.  That's why it's okay to lance them with steel hooks through the mouth and then release them.

fox01313
Blissfully Ignorant

artist, video game designer/artist in training

View Profile Email
« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »

Highly love this wicked story of HPL & really recommend the Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth game (link below for PC version which isn't that expensive & usually goes on sale a few times a year with the rest of the Steam catalog of games), the game also does a good job at just putting Innsmouth to life with some really creepy moments (ie. seeing a shadow of a something in a basement window briefly).

Not sure if this is in another part of the Podcraft forums but for some reason while listening to this Podcast on this story I got fixated on what are the Shuggoths are doing in Innsmouth & then pictured mentally the following:

* Gillman house miniature shuggoth shows up with a bellboy hat to take your luggage

* Replacing light bulbs in the street lamps when they burn out

* Someone in Innsmouth's pet Iguana lizard (maybe named "fluffy" or "mr. whiskers" or "spot") would be stuck up in a tree, then have to call the Shuggoth fire department where the shuggoth arrives with a fireman's hat on making extra mouths for siren noises, then tries to get the lizard out of the tree without destroying the area or the lizard.

* Working in the refinery making gold earrings, jewelery while having to try to wear name tags & do some really delicate work leading to some amusing problems sometimes

* Old Man Marsh's car breaks down so shuggoth tow truck arrives to not only try to tow the car back to the mechanic but also try to fix or help in fixing it as what do the Deep Ones know about automotive repair?

* Having to hold awkward poses for a really long time as a guide/brace while building or repairing some house to keep the partial Euclidian geometry (can't go scaring off the tourists too soon)

* Mini shuggoth shows up at the general store to pick up magazines of "Better Kelp & Undersea Gardens", sea urchin pesticide & other horrific groceries.

* Mini shuggoth drinks or absorbs something pink like pink lemonade then starts making silly shapes around Zadok after he's had a few drinks so instead of seeing pink elephants it's pink somethings.

(would actually try to draw them digitally but apart from insanity or fainting as well as on lunch break, just can't at the moment)

PS-would greatly enjoy reading or seeing that fan fiction mentioned in this about H.P. Lovecraft meeting Hemmingway. Been wondering about what Lovecraft would have thought about that Hemmingway breed of cats with the extra toe. After all the recent black cat appearances in H.P. Lovecraft stories, think we maybe should start calling all black cats a Lovecraftian or Eldritch breed of cats.

Steam link to the PC version of the game - Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22340/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:48:54 PM by fox01313 » Logged

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  

Jump to: