Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/hppodcra/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth
H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast Forums
June 19, 2019, 05:21:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you encounter any unknowable eldritch forum problems, shoot Manndroid a missive at mmann(at)modsprocket(dot)com!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Episodes 84-88 - The Shadow Over Innsmouth  (Read 197909 times)
catamount
Mind-Blasted

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »

Speaking of fan-fiction, like Mister Fifer, I also wrote a story about Lovecraft and Hemingway meeting one another. In my story it was in France, during World War I. Lovecraft was a correspondent for News of the World, when he met Hemingway a young dashing ambulance driver in France, the two had quite a few zany adventures together, I called it, For Whom the Shoggoths Toll!

'Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.'

Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
shiatis
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »

As I'm listening to these episodes, I keep thinking back to the CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth video game. One of the early levels is played in Innsmouth. I haven't played that game in years, but as went back and re-read SOI and as the guys are talking about the different locations, characters, etc. I keep thinking back to the game because all of the key characters and locations are in there. They did a great job with making the city really creepy, too. It was released for PC, xbox, and (I think) PS2. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you can find a used copy, just to walk around the locales if nothing else.
shiatis
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »

You guys weren't kidding when you said they were expensive:
http://www.lwcurrey.com/store/108199.htm

This place has some other really cool Lovecraftiana for sale, including one of his letters.
Genus Unknown
Cultist
Committed for Life

Spam Buster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Shoggoth lifted directly from Lechance's Lovecraft Bestiary.

Bulbatron
Unhinged

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »

As I'm listening to these episodes, I keep thinking back to the CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth video game. One of the early levels is played in Innsmouth. I haven't played that game in years, but as went back and re-read SOI and as the guys are talking about the different locations, characters, etc. I keep thinking back to the game because all of the key characters and locations are in there. They did a great job with making the city really creepy, too. It was released for PC, xbox, and (I think) PS2. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you can find a used copy, just to walk around the locales if nothing else.

Agreed about the game.  Sadly there never was a PlayStation 2 version.

Anyway, just listened to the next episode.  Great stuff as usual and very funny!

When I think about it, it really seems very tragic and sad when you consider what a picturesque town Innsmouth must once have been.  It's really well described the way it has all descended into decay as the people of Innsmouth pay less and less attention to the upkeep of their town, as they look forwards to a life of immortality beneath the waves.  That they do maintain a flimsy facade of a working town for the benefit of the occasional visitor really drives home how sad it is.

It's easy to imagine lots of eyes peering out through cracks in walls or grimy windows and suchlike as the protagonist walks the deserted streets of Innsmouth - possibly feeling as though he's being watched the entire time.  That's really creepy.

I always took it that the Deep Ones, Dagon and Hydra are as much of this Earth as humans are - or as much as anything can be that was created by the Elder Things - while Cthulhu and his spawn were completely 'alien' beings.

The whole segment with Zadok Alan is really well written in my opinion - or at least it really creates a sense of mystery and dread.  This section is done particularly well in the Dark Adventure Radio Theatre production of the story - with the crashing waves and seagulls in the background while Zadok rambles on.  Brilliant stuff!

And then you have the idea of humans having to mate with these creatures - which is obviously horrible on so many levels it scarcely bares thinking about!  I mean, for one thing, how do the human worshippers decide who gets to do the dirty, so-to-speak?  Secret ballet?  Shortest straw?  Best swimmer?  Do they get to pick which Deep One they're paired with - or do the Deep Ones make all these decisions?  I'm already wishing I'd ended the post with '...scarcely bares thinking about.'!

Looking forwards to the next episode!
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »

The Gillman House reference was a bit obvious to me; but that's me.

CORRECTION: The swastika is of Indian (East) religious ideas. Swastika Especially, Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. It has since been used by others, but it certainly was NOT Celtic in origin. Interestingly enough, Native American also used it way back.

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
kulain
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »

i think they were being sarcastic about the gilman house bit.

great hilarious episode! made me laugh on the subway >_> glub glub

TheMediocreYoungishOne -Tom-
Unhinged

Ex Astris Scientia

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 10:54:07 PM »

I had a math teacher for all four years of high school whose name was Mr. Gilman. He was in the navy, but I don't think he was a member of the E.O.o.D.

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams." H.P. Lovecraft - In a letter to Maurice W. Moe, January 1929
----
We are the Borgcraft. Your knowledge will be correlated. Insanity is inevitable.
osyrisdiamond
Unhinged

Don't Speak!

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »

i think they were being sarcastic about the gilman house bit.

great hilarious episode! made me laugh on the subway >_> glub glub

Yeah, I was at the gym and had to stop myself from literally lol-ing while on the elliptical trainer. It was very amusing! XD

"It is good to be a cynic... better to be a contented cat... best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing... we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice... If we were sensible we would seek death—the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed." -HPL
godwinshelley
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »

Yes, I agree, very good episode -  glub glub.  I'd love a T-shirt with "glub, glub - gotta make the donuts" on it.

Just a quick mention that the Spring Equinox is usually around March 21st (give or take a day). 

GS
Lambda
Unhinged

Mythos Addict

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 07:59:25 AM »

Chad is right about April 30th - it's Walpurgisnacht in Germany, and also the night before the celtic Beltane festival. Walpurgisnacht is also called Hexennacht -  Witches' Night - here and it's celebrated every year, at least in the south. Yay, we has occult festival...  Grin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:12:23 AM by Lambda » Logged
RedHookDave
Blissfully Ignorant

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »

Please slow down guys! I know you're excited to get to the action scene, but please go into more detail about Zadok's story. There's a lot of great story in there Smiley
Bob Lovecraft
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »

See, I love the image of "millions" of deep ones coming up out of the bay to bitch-slap the Innsmouth population. Image you are a young boy in the cupola, watching this invading hoard slowly make its way up the dark (and probably misty) streets of your home town. I can just imagine what he saw as the townspeople started fighting back and being effortlessly overrun by monsters and half-human abominations. And all of this happening only by moonlight.

Creepy.

Bob

If someone ever dares you to read the Necronomicon out loud... just say no.
Boneworm
Shaken

Like a Gingerbread Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 03:36:11 PM »

See, I love the image of "millions" of deep ones coming up out of the bay to bitch-slap the Innsmouth population. Image you are a young boy in the cupola, watching this invading hoard slowly make its way up the dark (and probably misty) streets of your home town. I can just imagine what he saw as the townspeople started fighting back and being effortlessly overrun by monsters and half-human abominations. And all of this happening only by moonlight.

Creepy.

Bob

It's a lot like Call of Cthulhu, in the way that there are so many things mentioned that could easily be spun off into full stories on their own, this being just one of them.  You've got Captain Obed discovering the Deep One cult in the South Seas, the religious struggle in Innsmouth, Deep One/human romances, the invasion, the raid and its aftermath; there's just so much hiding just below the surface, literally and figuratively!
old book
Committed for Life

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »

Isn't Gilman the name of the narrator's sidekick in Dreams in the Witch-House, too? It's also a street in Berkeley, California. Some kids were building a clubhouse there last time I was there.

Must get around to listening to both of these episodes, judging from the comments... Swastikas? Walpurgisnacht? I've read more about the origins of the swastika than I'd wish on my bitterest enemy. I think it's fair to say there is no known origin and it comes from the Stone Age or earlier, and likely appeared independently at different times as well. Some say it's the Sun, some say a vortex, others say other strange things.

We live on a placid Rhode Island and Providence Plantations of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of an infinity of dark foreigners, and it was not meant that we should voyage too far.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: